SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I saved a house from fire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I saved a house from fire Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
I was at someone's house yesterday where a space heater is used to keep the living room warm, "No point heating all the other rooms if you're not in them" is the reason I have been told. Okay, seems reasonable enough. So when I entered the house I noticed this smell, sort of similar to a burned hose on a car, when I asked what the smell was the answer was that they didn't know and that it had been that way for a couple of days, that I would come and go. I asked if I could look around and when I checked the outlet this is what I found.

Eek

Apparently it didn't occur to anyone to simply take a look. Roll Eyes

I told them that the space heater shouldn't be used any more, as a matter of fact I made sure of that by taking it with me, it will be going in the trash today. So, I think I saved their living room being burned up, at the least, maybe the whole house.

yeesh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clubleaf206,

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Good for you for taking action. That could have been a disaster, especially at night when everyone was asleep.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Space heaters and fires involving older people seem to go together.
What is the gray part that seems to be the problem here? It looks like some sort of adapter without the ground, stuck on the end of the regular plug.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Wow!Eek That might not have turned out well for the homeowners.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
As nasty as those adapter blades look I would recommend they replace the outlet it was plugged into ASAP.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
What is the gray part that seems to be the problem here? It looks like some sort of adapter without the ground, stuck on the end of the regular plug.

It is an adapter to allow a grounded plug to be inserted into a non grounded outlet. Not sure why that was being used, I'm not sure I really want to ask.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Wow!Eek That might not have turned out well for the homeowners.

Yeah, I think they dodged a bullet for sure.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
As nasty as those adapter blades look I would recommend they replace the outlet it was plugged into ASAP.

That is going to be dealt with, definitely.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

It is an adapter to allow a grounded plug to be inserted into a non grounded outlet. Not sure why that was being used, I'm not sure I really want to ask.

Space heaters themselves seem to be the cause of a lot of fires but that adapter was the problem in this case, not the heater itself.
Maybe it was only rated for much lower amperage, like to power a light. Resistance heaters have a high current draw which is why they use so much electricity.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We burned up an outlet in our house with a space heater. I caught it before it caused a fire thanks to our nanny pointing out that the outlet she had her phone plugged into seemed really warm.

I will still use space heaters, but only use them on the medium or low settings.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I've said it a bunch of times on here, don't use those things, they are dangerous. If you have a cold room work with HVAC and insulation company to fix the problem instead of risking your lives on these things.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You did good,had the same thing at my home a couple years ago,at the first smell I search and found it.
I do the same with space heaters as the regular furnace being on makes the power bill jump a hundred to two hundred a month.
I am handy with all house maintenance things and I immediately replace wall receptacle from extra stock I keep on hand.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Mothers, brothers and others, I present Exhibit 'B'.

I also had to splice in wires on one side, the heat had cooked off the insulation.

I think everyone involved is breathing a sigh of relief.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clubleaf206,

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I've said it a bunch of times on here, don't use those things, they are dangerous. If you have a cold room work with HVAC and insulation company to fix the problem instead of risking your lives on these things.

About a month and a half back we had a fire here that they scored the trifecta on, space heater plugged into an extension cord with things piled on top of the extension cord.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Not only did you save a house but you probably just saved someones life.
Good job

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Mothers, brothers and others, I present Exhibit 'B'.
I am not an electrician, but I would be leary of that. If they are going to use a space heater, which Skins has pointed out is a really bad idea, isn't it even more of a safety hazard to use it on a circuit like that, without a ground pin in the plug?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
What are the odds that they did not have a working smoke detector?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
We used to have people at work bring their own space heaters and plug them into the same surge suppressor as their computers Eek Anytime we came across a heater, the higher-up's decree was that we'd cut the cables Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My Mama always told me to try and do something nice for someone every day..

I think this qualifies!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Nice job!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post