SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about Estonia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Estonia Login/Join 
posted
Just had dinner with my youngest. She turned 21 today. We were discussing next years school plans.
She has an opportunity to go to school in Estonia next year. Probably be for the fall and spring semester.

I know very little about this country. Was curious about the things most parents would worry about.
Safety, culture, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated if you have knowledge about the country.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I did a little research, one of my kids is headed there in the near future.
Looks pretty safe overall, we have a military presence there.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the details but a friend's son spent some time there. He loved it there, they're nice and modern, I get the impression of an eastern European version of Switzerland.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty but small country. It has a few cities and a lot of open terrain. One of my buddies visited the NATO Cyber Center of excellence and was impressed. It seemed like a safe country with reportedly low corruption. They use the EURO so things will be a little expensive. It's also the birth place of Skype and they are building out their tech sector. I wouldn't lose much sleep with her attending school there unless Russia gets feisty.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's aunt and uncle went there twice to adopt two girls. They loved it. I'll try to ask them for more info.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
She'll be fine unless the Russians invade. Then all bets are off.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
They seem to be similar to Lithuania where my daughter wants to go next year. I’ve watched Taken to many times to be enthused but at least these two Baltic states seem stable countries.

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The baltic states used to be the crime capital of europe, particularly eastern europe. Latvia was the worst. A lot has changed in the last 8-10 years.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Level 1 from State - low threat.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
All I know is that Estonia women are drop dead gorgeous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a HUGE understatement.
But you have to like blondes.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Estonia is trying to become the cyber center of world trade.

They have an E-residency program to give any online business owners/businesses a tax residency there.

I am sure they are doing there best to make the place squeaky clean to foster this program.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The baltic states used to be the crime capital of europe, particularly eastern europe. Latvia was the worst. A lot has changed in the last 8-10 years.

Thankfully, some might say, they seem to have exported a lot of their crime and criminals to UK, especially Latvian and Lithuania. Here we don't get much, in fact, zero, about Estonians [one of my daughter's carers is a gorgeous Estonian girl], but plenty of modern-day slavers and murderers/rapists from the other two Baltic states. The region in which we live is almost 90% agricultural, and is a hotbed of work-gang semi-slave labour from these places, but for some reason, Estonia only figures strongly in the service sector.

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

This is a HUGE understatement.
But you have to like blondes.

Yea, hot chicks and a bunch of our old M14's. What's not to like?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. She is planning on attending the university of Tartu. She is a double major in Russian and biology, and this school seems to check the boxes she needs. She is a driven student. Honors college, deans list and about zero student debt, Between her academic scholarships and her working as an ra to cover room and board.
As a parent it is a point of concern, not knowing a great deal about this country, so the learning process has begun.
As always the time for your input is appreciated.

Posts: 616 | Location: West By God VA | Registered: July 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Estonia. I've been there three times since 2014 and going back again soon. Sad to say it seems that most Americans have barely heard of it.

Tallinn is a great little city. Easy public transportation, clean and safe. If you get bored there's a ferry for 25 euro to Helsinki or 40 to Stockholm. The food is great but expensive around old town, you have to venture a little bit outside of the city for decent prices. Groceries are about average for Europe.

The people in Estonia are generally nice and speak 4 languages on average. Lots of Russians there and they control most of the drug/alcohol/sex trades. Oh and cabs are all Russian controlled as well. For a female I would advise common sense safety practices and there won't be any problems.

I am not sure about places to live but I could inquire with some people I know if you are interested.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AirmanJeff, any intel would be appreciated.
Like I said we are just in the beginning phase of this adventure.
Thanks for the offer

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
They used to have Galils and Galil SARs.
They now adopted LMTs.
Our old M14s.

All cool rifles. Sadly, that's about all I know about Estonia.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but do have some second hand info: A few years ago we hosted an exchange student from Estonia. She was an ethnic Russian. It seems that when Hitler and Stalin signed their “non aggression pact,” on the eve of WWII, the Soviet Union proceeded to “annex” the Baltic Republics including Estonia. They then forcibly relocated large numbers of Russians into these countries. Made Russian the official language, etc. Now nearly 80 years later, there is some tension between the ethnic Russians (who have been there three generations and can’t really return “home” to Mother Russia) and the native Estonians (who still see the Russian people as outsiders). According to this Russian youngster, she always felt somewhat uneasy and unwelcome in the only home she has ever known. She lived in Tallinn and returned there after her stint with us. Very charming youngster wand her English was good.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post