SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you like fighter pilot stories? Do you have Amazon Prime? Step inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you like fighter pilot stories? Do you have Amazon Prime? Step inside. Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
You can listen to some good books for free. Get yourself an Audible account (an Amazon property). If you don't have one, be sure to sign up for the first month free, just be sure to cancel later to the non-subscription account. You get to keep your free book.

Anyway, look at the bottom of the Audible screen in your app. Look for "Channels". Go there, and scroll down to "Included with Prime." Go there, and then to "Dramatic History." There you will find the memoirs of Robyn Olds, a WWII ace, and an interesting listen. You will also find A Higher Call. This is the story of Lt Charlie Brown (really) and German pilot Franz Stigler.

Both of these books are great reading, and best of all, free. There's also a bunch of others.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the info about the audio books.

Over on the Prime Video side, I've been watching the "First Flight" series featuring Neil Armstrong as he explores and flies many aircraft.

www.Amazon.com/First-Flights/dp/B01LDXKXVI/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RAYWQ2HMPFGPZXEBVGP2

Also included with Prime Membership are thise videos that I have lined up to watch...
Total Combat Blue Angels
Total Combat Thunderbirds
The Flighline Canadian Air Force Snowbirds
Extreme Air Manuvering
The Best Pilot in the World
Sky Wars
Fighter Aircraft the Quest for Speed
Angle of Attack
Elite Choppers Birds of Prey
At the Edge
A Century of Flight

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I am always looking for good audio books for my commute.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Looks like these are streaming only or to download you have to buy them. I'm very interested in listening to the fighter pilot, we'll see how the streaming works driving around. I'll have to see what type of data usage that requires too.

Thanks for the tip. Been an audible member for years and a prime member go a couple years. The prime membership is one of the best deals going. Perks and features abound.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I just watched the attack aircraft episode. I enjoyed it but wish it was twice as long.
I never realized just how big the Skyraider was. And it carried more ordinance than a WWII B-17 Eek .

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Looks like these are streaming only or to download you have to buy them. I'm very interested in listening to the fighter pilot, we'll see how the streaming works driving around. I'll have to see what type of data usage that requires too.

I just finished one while driving across I80 in Nevada on T-Mobile. A few times it started repeating, but for the most part it was fine. Nevada can be remote. As far as data goes, I figure it can't be more than the full book download. Most books seem to be in the 350Mb range.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
As I've said before on these threads, if you like Audible, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

It lets you borrow audiobooks and ebooks from public libraries for free. You will have to visit the library one time to get a library card, if you don't already have one, but after that you never need to physically visit the library. You download the books to your device, so no need to stream.

I used to use two credits a month on Audible, but now only use 6 credits a year. If you contact customer service they will put you on a plan to get one credit every other month, instead of one each month.

It's very rare that I can't get the books I want through the libraries I belong to, and I'm saving $186 each year.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
In addition to Fighter Pilot, which is excellent, here are a couple more you might enjoy:

- The Hunter Killers by Dan Hampton, which is about the development of the surface to air missile hunting mission known as the "Wild Weasels." Hampton is a former F-16 pilot who flew the modern version of the Weasel mission.

- The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight by Winston Groom (of Forest Gump fame).

- Lords of the Sky: Fighter Pilots and Air Combat, from the Red Baron to the F-16, by Dan Hampton

- I Always Wanted to Fly: America's Cold War Airmen by Colonel Wolfgang WE Samuel

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post