SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Just to let you know what the top end bamboo rods go for:

High End Bamboo Rods.....Holy Chit!!!!!

No, I don't have one, the only ones I could maybe afford are the Orvis on the second page. My top fly rod is a Sage. If I won the lottery tomorrow or married a insanely wealthy widow, I would get a bamboo rod from here:

Tufts and Batson

They are located in Maplewood MO (suburb in St. Louis County).

Here is a video of them making a bamboo rod:

Tufts and Batson Making a Fly Rod

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yeah... no. I can't afford that, and even if I could, I'm unsure it would be something that would be on my priority list.

Still reading up, and waiting for the SIL to get his "Wild Water" startup kit tonight. Then we'll see how it casts vs the entry level Orvis stuff.

I've seen an Echo Base that is getting good reviews, and seems to come from good bloodlines. Anyone familiar with them? Also still liking the Bean Streamlite.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bamboo is totally different than graphite. They are softer and much slower in feel, and they can't cast as much weight as equivalent graphite rods. Lovers of bamboo go on about how "intimate" they feel and how much feel they have. I don't really know much about bamboo, having only used a borrowed one once. I think they are probably harder to use, especially if you are used to the feel of graphite.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I still use my Curt Gowdy Parametric rod the most. Just look on ebay for refurbished graphite rods that have broken tips.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I wouldn't spend more than $100 on your first fly rod. Check out Ebay for used rods that are in good condition. The graphite rods may be light weight but they break easily.

I still use my Curt Gowdy Parametric rod the most. Rods are like a new car. Once you make the first cast, the value drops in most cases. Here is a search for 5 weight rods:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Fly-Fis...9%2527&rt=nc&_sop=15

Here is a nice Temple Forks starting at $79. You can find some great deals from about now to spring since the demand goes down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Templ...e:g:XcYAAOSwvR5Z6VNm

This! no point spending a lot on a rod when you are going to spend plenty of time hung up in the bushes. Until you can pick up a rod and feel the difference between medium and fast action there is little point in owning them.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you want a slow rod, check out the Redington Butterstick, a smooth glass rod at a great price point.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If you are going to get into this learn to tie your own flies. I've never had a class. Just get out there and learn for yourself what works and what doesn't. I've snapped off 100's of flies, and lost them on the back cast. Everyone is different. I remember as a kid I'd go out to the sidewalk and vision the street as the river and practice. Keep your line short to begin with and soon you'll get the hang of it and let out more line. Its not that hard.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
This forum is the best! I'm sitting around at work perusing all the things that I can get sucked into buying (resistance is futile...) and get an email from a sigforumite (lookin' at you, Chip) and he took time to send me the trout stocking schedule for Tennessee!

BTW, my SIL got in his Wild Water "Deluxe" rod and pole, and to our inexperienced minds it is a great buy for the money. Definitely has more flex than the Orvis Clearwater rod did, but that seemed to help us load the rod and get almost easier casting. Does that make any sense? Anyhow, I ended up ordering an LL Bean rod b/c of the warranty and positive reviews, and plan to compare the two and decide if it goes back and I order my own (less expensive) set from Wild Water.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
You will love trout fishing. It's a passion all its own. One of the nice things about trout is they tend to live in beautiful places. Make sure brown trout is on your must catch list. They are beautiful and worthy adversaries.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
This forum is the best! I'm sitting around at work perusing all the things that I can get sucked into buying (resistance is futile...) and get an email from a sigforumite (lookin' at you, Chip) and he took time to send me the trout stocking schedule for Tennessee!

BTW, my SIL got in his Wild Water "Deluxe" rod and pole, and to our inexperienced minds it is a great buy for the money. Definitely has more flex than the Orvis Clearwater rod did, but that seemed to help us load the rod and get almost easier casting. Does that make any sense? Anyhow, I ended up ordering an LL Bean rod b/c of the warranty and positive reviews, and plan to compare the two and decide if it goes back and I order my own (less expensive) set from Wild Water.

Slower rods (more flex) are usually easier to learn on because they are more forgiving. But they are less accurate and you cannot get as much line speed.

If you play golf, its a bit like cavity backs vs blades.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post