SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is some great advice, don't overspend getting started. This is some straight shooting information and advice. Check out the rest of their website. Their website says they are Orvis endorsed, whatever that means I don't really know. But they are good folks.

San Juan Angler

#2 Advice

Good luck, best wishes to you.

Gene

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
All good info posted.
The Orvis class is a great start, and after the class they give you a discount on gear.
Gear goes from inexpensive to outragous. Cabela's carries a good assortment of rods and reels-best time to buy is April during their Fly fishing sale.
The "best" inexpensive rod out is a Fenwick Aegis.
Somebody compared Fly fishing to golf. So true. There is always the newest, latest , greatest rod which means last years latest, greatest is now very affordable.
Pick up the older edition of Orvis Fly Fishing- excellent reference.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the class last year. It was pretty nice. they took us to the parking lot and we got practice casting.

We then went inside and they showed you how to tie some basic knots and went over some of the various items needed to get started. They also gave us a couple of the more common flies.

I believe they gave us 20 or 30% off coupons for a rod purchase.

I took the same class through LL Bean but they charges something like $50.

I ended up getting a rod at LL Bean. It was a little cheaper and I like their warranty better. Just bring it back for an exchange. Orvis warranty requires returning to the factory and there are shipping charges and sometimes deductibles.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jrfixer
posted Hide Post
Fly tying is very rewarding too. Kind of equal to reloading for shooting.

"It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

JR

Posts: 157 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Know the stream, know the water, know your prey. My love of fly fishing was learning about the stream ecology so I could mimic what the fish were actually eating.

Learn to read the water. Where fish sit and why. Heck next summer get a mask + snorkel and explore your fishing hole.

Don't get hung up on fancy stuff. The most productive flies look like they've already been eaten.

** If you try Fly Tying please let me know and I can share a bunch of fur + feathers to get you started.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your input. Had a coworker's husband loan me his rig to play with, which is a shakespeare 5/6 pole with the same brand reel. I'm hoping other poles will have a better feel, this one not so much....

I'm anxious for the 28th to get here. Taking off work that day to attend the class, and have talked to a couple locals who tell me that they've had a blast fly fishing for bluegill nearby. Sounds enticing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
To update:

This weekend, I finally took the Fly Fishing 101 class.

Saturday, parking lot casting and "classroom" time at the Orvis store. They taught us to tie a couple types of knots, taught us the basic cast, general info about rods, reels, and rigging one up, then took us to the parking lot to cast some outfits with velcro in an attempt to "catch" a rainbow trout that was rigged with the rough part of the velcro. Not realistic, but fun nonetheless. This was all I signed up for, and didn't know they were doing the 201 class on Sunday until we were told during the Saturday class. They allowed me and SIL to sign up for it on the spot, which was cool.

Sunday we all met in Collierville at a small lake/large pond in a public park. We all were given our gear, then told that this was moreso a bream pond this time of year, and advised to use the "Bream Bully" fly. We then spent the next 2 hours practicing casting from the shoreline and trying to catch fish. I caught 3 small (think goldfish on testosterone) bream, but it was a blast. Would have caught more, but I managed to whip the fly off my rig during an exuberant false casting episode.

Takeaways?

I loved it. Even when not catching anything, just getting that "perfect" cast was a thrill. The water really feels different than casting in the grass or on asphalt, and you can definitely feel the fish on that rod (might have been that it was a 5 weight?) more than on my old fiberglass baitcaster.

Now I'm down to buying some gear. Orvis will give me 20% off on a new outfit, and I looked at the Clearwater (regular $301, with discount around $240). Also considered the Cabela's setup, Redington's entry level rig, and a few others. I'm leaning toward an LL Bean setup I read about, and the Bean "Satisfaction Guarantee" is that if I don't feel satisfied, at any point, I can get it replaced.

Also, now that I've handled the 5 weight, I wonder if a 6 weight would be a more balanced rod for fishing for bream and bass... Thoughts?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Check out Temple Fork Outfitters for gear also.

https://tforods.com/

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't spend more than $100 on your first fly rod. Check out Ebay for used rods that are in good condition. The graphite rods may be light weight but they break easily.

I still use my Curt Gowdy Parametric rod the most. Rods are like a new car. Once you make the first cast, the value drops in most cases. Here is a search for 5 weight rods:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Fly-Fis...9%2527&rt=nc&_sop=15

Here is a nice Temple Forks starting at $79. You can find some great deals from about now to spring since the demand goes down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Templ...e:g:XcYAAOSwvR5Z6VNm

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Here's the one my SIL just ordered from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Wa...er+fly+fishing+combo

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They probably have the rod made in China but a lot of the big names also use China for their blanks or manufactured rods.

Looks like a good starter kit.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take it slow getting into fly fishing. Lots of things to buy. One thing I highly recommend is taking classes on fly tying. When you catch fish on your own flies it is much more rewarding. Plus tying is fun and addictive itself. Great way to pass the time in winter months as well. You'll find where your fishing and how your fishing will dictate the setup you need. Wading or boat fishing, open rivers or small tree covered trout streams all require different setups. Some setups can cross over but once you get to saltwater it is quite specific. My first experience fly fishing was
in the early 60's fishing for perch in Niles Pond in Gloucester. Been enjoying it off and on since. Orvis is pricey but a great resource for info..

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Good deal. 41's advice about not spending more than $100 on your first setup is very good advice. Just get a 5 or 6 wt rod and reel, your choice, and have at it.
Glad you got hooked (pun intended).
Fly-fishing is so rewarding, on so many different levels.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
To learn about stream insects,etc., get the book put out by the Izaak Walton League called A Guide to Aquatic Insects And Crustaceans.

https://books.google.com/books...0crustaceans&f=false

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be too quick to put an upper limit on price. Especially an upper limit of $100.00. You don't have to spend top dollar on a high-end Sage, Loomis, Scott, Winston, etc., but there are a lot of good offerings in the $100-$300 range. I bought most of my fly rods a number of years ago, so I'm not up on everyone's current offerings, but for less-than-high-end stuff, I would definitely be looking at Temple Fork (I know Lefty Kreh was in on the early development of them, and I trust his knowledge and input); they have a good reputation for value. Bean's, as you know, are terrific at standing behind everything they sell. I'd keep doing your research and read reviews and comments by other fishermen; you can learn a lot that way. No substitute for actually casting the rods, though. But, frankly, you are going to have to do a lot more casting before you even know what you like in a rod action, or what you have a natural affinity for. And then there are the conditions you are fishing under, and... well, you can get carried away. But it's fun. And you probably won't mind having several outfits.

To that point, and your question, yes, I would definitely get a 6 wt. over a 5 wt. if your main interest is bass and panfish. Missouri Ozark streams are my home waters where I fish primarily for bass and panfish, and my 6 wt. is my most used rod; a bit of overkill for panfish (but so is everything heavier than a 3 wt.), but very nice for all but the biggest, baddest bass.

Also good advice is to learn to tie your own flies, as gloucestermen suggested. Don't know that you need to take classes; there are lots of books and videos on the subject. Depends on how you like to learn, I suppose.

Anyway, have fun with it all. It is a lifelong passion; I've been at it for over fifty years, and it never gets old.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
For inexpensive gear, I like Cabelas, Temple Forks Outfitters, and St. Croix's Imperial line. I have a 6 wt imperial that is a real horse of a rod and I highly recommend it at the $200 point. Great bass rod and good for throwing streamers at trout. I've actually even used it for small redfish paired with a quality reel.

Don't spend much on a reel. The reel is mostly just holding your line until you get to bigger fish where you actually need drag.

Line is one of the most overlooked factors in casting. Bad line can make a great rod cast like crap and good line can much improve a broom handle. I like Rio Gold but it is expensive ($80.) Scientific Angler makes many great lines as well.

Let me see if I have anything laying around that will benefit your new addiction...

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all your input. It really is an amazing hobby, and the knowledge that fly fishermen seem to have about insects and what hatches when is pretty impressive.

I'm open to any further advice, and will bore you with my progress as I travel this new path. For now, wifey has put a limit on me that I can't spend more than I get from selling some of my old stuff (old golf clubs, 4 wheeler trailer, etc), but that gives me a little more of a budget than she realizes... Wink

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Thanks guys for all your input. It really is an amazing hobby, and the knowledge that fly fishermen seem to have about insects and what hatches when is pretty impressive.

I'm open to any further advice, and will bore you with my progress as I travel this new path. For now, wifey has put a limit on me that I can't spend more than I get from selling some of my old stuff (old golf clubs, 4 wheeler trailer, etc), but that gives me a little more of a budget than she realizes... Wink

Big Grin Big Grin You are taking the wrong approach. You need to get your wife involved then the sky is the limit.

I have had my best days teaching girl friends to fish and the excitement they get when they catch their first fish on a fly rod.

Then if the fish are not biting there is something to fall back on. Wink

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ha! I didn't mention it, but my wife, my youngest daughter (12), and my son in law took the 101 class. Youngest and SIL were signed up with me for 201 class, but daughter was sick and missed, which we both hated.

Wife thought it was ok, but doesn't see the need to fly cast when there are perfectly serviceable baitcasters that will catch her a fish.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You need to get your wife involved

NO THANKS

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post