SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interested in Fly Fishing - Orvis Class & Questions Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
I'm no great fisherman, but I've always been intrigued by fly fishing. My experience is with spin casters mostly and a few of the old baitcaster type setups, never done more than fondle a fly fishing outfit. Redfish and trout are my go-to fishing preference, mostly because I like blackened reds. Wink

My local Orvis store has their (free) Fly Fishing 101 class coming up in a couple weeks, and I signed up for it. Anyone here taken this class, or had much experience with fly fishing? I'll take any input you have on what to buy as a beginner, etc...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great way to enter the wonderful world of fly-fishing.
I did so about two years ago, and it has been all I thought it would be (and more).

However, I don't have an Orvis store close by, so I had to do it all via internet sites, Youtube videos, and the like. Orvis has a good website with lots of videos explaining things. From there, it's on to buying gear and going out and just doing it. You learn SO much by getting hands-on.

A great TV show (and one that is shot/produced/based right here in the great state of West Virginia) is Fly Rod Chronicles with Curtis Fleming on the Outdoor Channel. If you have social media (Facebook), follow him and the show, they are very personable and love seeing others' progress.

A second good resource is Murray's Fly Shop in Virginia. Google them and read up, watch videos. They even offer clinics where you can show up and learn from some of the best, on a beautiful Virginia trout/bass stream.

The biggest hurdle (at least for me) was getting into the study of what trout in my area like to eat, in terms of bugs. You'll pay attention to this more than you ever thought you would, lol. "Match the hatch" will become part of your vocabulary.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy any gear, just yet. Naturally, the Orvis store will have a great selection from modest to pricey. I've come to figure out that -once past a certain level/price point- a fly rod and reel don't really do any more or better than any other. All my stuff is big box (Cabela's) stuff. Once you get your feet wet (pun intended), you can refine your gear with different weight lines, etc. But for now, go to the seminar and just jump right in, then start looking at gear.

Enjoy going to beautiful places and becoming a part of nature. You'll never look at creeks, streams, ponds and rivers in the same way, once the fly-fishing bug has full hold of you.

It truly is one of the most rewarding hobbies I've ever taken up.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Its a great way to de-stress and pass some time. When you become comfortable with casting, it become a form of meditation on the water. Enjoy!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I took one of their free courses back in the early 80's. It was OK but I had learned more from a course in Santa Barbara in the mid 70's.

Their equipment is expensive but they use to have a Spring Sale at the Capital Expo Center in past years but haven't had one for a long time. They would sell equipment, accessories, and clothing at great prices.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
most of the orvis stores are great and have great people. I've never taken their class but I know some of the guys that teach them and they're great.

saltwater fly-fishing is kind of a different ballgame than what they will likely teach in the beginner class, which will focus on smaller species and smaller rod weights.

learn to cast a 4 or 5 weight first and then work with an 8 wt for reds and specks. most redfishing with a fly rod is sight casting... poling around on a flats boat actually looking for tailing fish and then casting to them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, the course would be great, should have good pointers on technique and such.

In the interim, I would look into buying a rod and practicing in the backyard. One does this without a real hook normally.

There should be plenty of Utube or other videos showing technique. The local library may have a book. I think people can get 'caught up' trying to get the longest cast, especially just starting out controllability is more important. That means, don't just look for most distance, you'll need to work towards setting the presentation near cover. With salt water fishing distance may be more important.

Even simple panfish/bluegill fishing is great fun with a fly rod.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Fly fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want. I grew up fly fishing for bass and bream with my dad who used a roll cast 80% of the time as we worked tree lines from a boat. He was more interested in catching than stylishly presenting the lure.
Watch a few YouTube videos. The rod usually moves from a 10 o’clock position back to about 2 o’clock while giving your line the time to fully extend behind you before casting forward. You can cut the point off the hook an old lure and practice in your yard. If you have a cat, you can do a little “cat fishing” to practice your form and have a little fun entertaining your cat. Smile
The number one rule: Make sure you have plenty room behind you for your back cast or you’ll decorate trees with your lures.
Email me if you have any questions.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That class will be a great introduction. And the Orvis people will be a good resource.

Orvis' lifestyle stuff is crazy expensive - dog beds and khaki pants. But their fishing gear is competitively priced with other high-end fly fishing gear. It isn't cheap, mind you, but it is fairly priced. You don't have to spend Orvis and Loomis money to enjoy fly fishing, though - there is more affordable gear.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone who's chimed in. I have looked around enough that I (think I) know most trout fishermen will use a 4 wt or 5 wt rod and line, and that the rod is named after the weight of the line it will support. I understand that if I go to reds I will need a larger rod and line-correct, or can you "wing it" with a smaller weight and just fight it a while longer?

Orvis has a 25 year warranty on some of their rods, and they sell a "Clearwater" outfit that is a 5 wt, 4 pc rod with a slightly better warranty and decent reel. Comes with some lures, line, and a case, and a couple little incidental things, for around $310. They also have less expensive setups, but they all seem to exclude the 25 year warranty. Worth it to go the warrantied route, or should I look at just buying a cheaper set and outright replacing it when it poops the bed?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basic/Intro class is a great way to start. It will give you a great overview of what/how to fly fish.

Next...Find a guide who has the heart of a teacher. You'll have fun and learn along the way.

In your neck of the woods, same area as me, I'd recommend Jamie Rouse who fishes on the Little Red River in Arkansas. He will provide all the gear, fles, food, instruction, and fun. Look him up.

Been flyfishing for about 20 years on multiple continents and all over the carribean.....still learn more from guides and have more fun doing it.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Have fun! I picked up a fly rod for the first time in 2003 and haven't touched my spinning gear since.

Just remember, you don't need thousands of $$$ of gear to fly fish.

A great all round freshwater rod is a 5 wt. I would recommend a 4 piece over a 2 piece for ease of use and transport. There is no functional difference IMHO.

Take a look at the Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) Professional series. They are a great intro rod with a lifetime warranty and cost under $150. I have couple (2wt & 5wt) and have found them a joy to fish. A friend on mine who owned a fly shop turned me on to them. He likes them better than many more expensive rods. I also have a few friends who are licensed NH Guides and they swear by them. It is their rod of choice to provide to clients who do not have their own gear.

Also consider your reel. For most freshwater applications, it is only going to hold your line. You do not have to spend crazy money on them. You can get a great reel for well under $100. I wish someone had told me this when I first started and spent $$$ on reel.

Do spend the money on a good line. Talk to your local shop to find one that is a good match to the rod you select. There is more to it than just the line weight.

A word on waders. You do not need to spend huge $$. I have used a pair of LL Bean Flyweight stocking foot waders for many years. They have kept me just as dry as pair of Simms that I picked in a deal that was too good to pass up. I do recommend you get good wading boots. Crappy boots and really ruin your day.

And one last thing, if you find you enjoy it. Look into learning to tie your own flies. It is cheaper, not hard to learn and a lot of fun.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You'll probably want more than a 5 weight for reds. It isn't so much the fighting of the fish that dictates your weight (although that can be a secondary factor), but the weight and size of the flies you want to throw. Your 5 weight will have trouble throwing larger and bulkier flies, especially with the winds that might be stronger over the ocean or bays.

Again, the clinic people can tell you what people in your area like to use for what fishing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
You'll probably want more than a 5 weight for reds. It isn't so much the fighting of the fish that dictates your weight (although that can be a secondary factor), but the weight and size of the flies you want to throw. Your 5 weight will have trouble throwing larger and bulkier flies, especially with the winds that might be stronger over the ocean or bays.

Again, the clinic people can tell you what people in your area like to use for what fishing.

Thanks, that helps. So it's kinda like fishing for anything else, different fish size equals different rig setup. As this is my initial foray into this, IF I buy anything I was wanting a rod that would work for most of what I'd like to catch. Depending on who you read, a 5W is good for up to(ish) a 20" fish? I know, that surely depends, as a Redfish will surely fight harder than some other fish of the same size.

Since I'm in North MS/SW Tennessee area, I'm thinking most of what I'll have easy access to (thinking White river, etc) will be trout. Should I be thinking a 4W for that, or am I on track with a 5W?

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
Fly fishing is the golf of fishing. Check out LL Bean. They offer starter kit rods / reels for reasonable costs.
And fly fishermen here spend as much time scouting the creeks and rivers for trout as they do actually fishing.
I have the most fun with it going after panfish. It a hoot to catch big Bluegills with lightweight tackle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Since I'm in North MS/SW Tennessee area, I'm thinking most of what I'll have easy access to (thinking White river, etc) will be trout. Should I be thinking a 4W for that, or am I on track with a 5W?

I think a 4 or 5 weight rod and line would be right for trout in your part of the country. It would be okay for panfish, too, and can also be a bass rod if you stay away from the really big bass bugs.

Again, it is as much about the size of the flies as the size of the fish. There are some very big and bulky bass bugs that a 4 weight line and rod just can't throw very effectively. The rod would be fine to fight almost any bass you catch, but a little rod won't turn over those big bugs.

A 4 or 5 is a good size for all-around freshwater fishing. It will handle some saltwater, too.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go against the grain here.

Go to Basspro, grab one of these, some tippet material, panfish flies and go have a blast. After all, you said you're just learning, right? I've got three of these rigs and they serve me well even though they're not high dollar.

I don't know if you're in Tennessee or Mississippi but here in western Tn. the TWRA stocks rainbows in some of the local small lakes in Dec. and Jan. They're not monsters, around 10", but they're fun.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en...od-canyon-fly-outfit

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago I did a two day class in Colorado at an Orvis affiliated shop. It gave me all the basics and a good foundation on which to expand.
There was no classroom involved, everything was done on water and in the field.
To me it was well worth it.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice here, as usual. I have been fly fishing since 1999 or so and like some others I haven't hardly touched my other fishing tackle since. I'm also another one who thinks that fishing for bluegill on a light fly rod is the best kept secret in fishing. Plus it is wonderful way to refine your casting technique. Don't overthink it and don't spend a ton of money out of the gate. I recommend that you get yourself a copy of the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It is wonderfully done, entertaining, and easy to understand guide to getting started in fly fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...ZYVDK7R&dpPl=1&dpID=

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I tried fly fishing for the first time this past elk muzzle loading season, always used a spinning reel/rod combo. What a blast, took awhile to get coordinated and learn how to use the rod and line, had a couple of buds give me some tips and I thoroughly loved it. I can see this being my next hobby but KAAAching $$$$$,ain't cheap. PS my wife did the Orvis class and even went out to Wolfs fly fishing class back east and she's addicted also

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I send my Boy Scours to those classes. My sons have attended them. I have attended them.

For free how can you go wrong,

Check out Cabela's as well, They offer classes as well.

Cabela's gear has lifetime guarantee for a fraction of the cost.

ENJOY

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post