SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric Fireplaces, Heating, school me...........
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Fireplaces, Heating, school me........... Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Been out looking at real estate here in Nashville and found a really great house. Brand new. Everything seems to be of way better than builder grade. Actually very nice! There is electric heat with heat pump. I have never had electric. Can you school me? Also there is an electric fireplace. Are they worth a crap? Just decoration? I mean how much heat can you get from a 110v unit? I am thinking more for the ambiance. Anyone use just electric?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newer heat pumps are amazing. They produce heat well into the 30's before you have to switch on the emergency heat strips. As for the electric fireplaces, they are mostly for show, only about 1500 watts top. I have one and in our previous house we had a bedroom in the basement, it did a nice job in that small room.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
We have a 110V plug in type from Home Depot. It does help keep our bedroom warm, but I wouldnt count on it to do any real heating if the HVAC went out during a cold night. I doubt it can handle that heavy of a job.

But it looks nice and it's remote control and the wife can set it to come on for 30 minutes or whatever to get nice and toasty before I come to bed and complain that's is 1000 degrees in here, wtf!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
We like our electric fireplace, but it's really just a space heater with a light show. They are nice to sit in front of and read a book, but don't expect it to heat more than that room.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Replaced a worn out propane fireplace with an electric, it's great in that we no longer have to have a propane tank filled, light the pilot etc.

Had two choices 220 or 110 heater, the 110 puts out a nice warm flow of air, it's not going to replace the main source of heat for a home but it will take the chill off.

The 220 is a much more serious heater, and is an option for most electric fireplaces.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heat Pumps are just an air conditioner with extra controls to reverse the flow of refrigerant to allow one to heat a home.

As the outdoor temperature drops, so does the units capacity and efficiency. At some point, usually around 30 degrees, it will no longer be able to transfer enough heat to maintain temperature of the building. This is when the electric backup heat kicks in to make up the difference.

Heat Pumps will operate around 4.0 COP at 65 degrees and around 2.0 COP at 0 degrees. This means it is using 25-50% of the energy to transfer heat as opposed to 100% cost of straight electric heat.

Examples:

#1 home heated with straight backup electric heat (no heat pump) cost $400

#2 same home heated with heat pump with outdoor temps a constant 60 F $100 and no electric backup as the heat pump is able to maintain temps with outdoor temps 30 degrees and above.

#3 same home heated with heat pump with outdoor temps a constant 30 F $150 and no electric backup as the heat pump is able to maintain temps with outdoor temps 30 degrees and above.

#4 same home heated with heat pump with outdoor temps a constant 0 F $200 + (x) the required amount of electric backup heat.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I would think t electric fireplace would provide limited and expensive heat.

My Carrier Heat Pump is rated to be efficient down to 15 degrees.
Installing the heat pump lowered my all-electric house's Heating bill by about 40%; A\C energy use was cut by over 50% vs. window units.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16489 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much!!! Any others!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use this to figure out the electric heaters capacity.

1 watt = 3.413 btu.

120 volt heaters are normally 1500 watts or 5119.5 btu.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Had heat pump + backup electric heat in VA (Charlottesville).

House was always cold in the Winter (frequently and for long periods of time well below freezing) until we got a wood fireplace stove insert (room w stove was right below the level w/ bedrooms) and I jury rigged a manifold to insert the heated air from stove into air handler).

Had to move to TX to get gas heat!!

Moved back to NC and specifically looked for a house w gas heat.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post