SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3. Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Fire him.

at an A1C of 5.7 you can beat diabetes with diet and exercise. You can eat anything you want as long as you count carbohydrates.

You will find combinations of food that work for you, taste good, and don't leave you feeling hungry.

Cinnamon is proven to help lower blood glucose.

I am a type 2 Diabetic with an A1c over 7.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
All interesting responses. Probably taught me more than all the doctors visits combined. But doctors aren't always right. I spent years listening and believing what they said. So I went to a/my kidney doctor. I have no idea why I have one of those. He says everyone my age has reduced kidney function. Its just a matter of how much. OK. Then on one of my bi-yearly visits he's looking at my med list. His first comment was "you don't have high blood pressure". I said sure I do, I've been taking meds for it for a long time. He gets a disgusted look on his face and said "lets play a little game". He calls in his med assistant and asks for a pressure cuff. Then says stand up as he's taking my BP.

Its not normal because of the meds, its just low normal because that's what it is. Saves me money and the hassle of going to walmart. I have no idea how BP meds work. Mine is the same with or without the meds. My wife suggests its like my intelligence, low normal. She should talk. We trust our doctors too much. Maybe. You still call the guy who graduated last in his class "doctor".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Your doctor sounds like my doctor. I am 44 with borderline high cholesterol. I have always had it. I was told at some point I will have to be on medications just not right now since I can keep it just under the radar. I am doing that through exercise and diet. Look at taking in more fiber. He was reading on studies that show fiber with every meal can help bind to the bad stuff and you poop it out before it can be harmful. In the end it is more than likely genetics.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I'd follow the doctor's advice. You already acknowledged that you failed at diet and weight loss (so far). Assuming the doctor is aware of that, he would be remiss if he didn't treat you. That's not to say you can't still improve or even reverse things with diet and weight loss - you just haven't yet. If you're successful on your end then you reduce or come off the meds. But the doc can't sit around and wait for you to cross over into diabetes and damage your heart if he thinks he can fix it now.

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Have any internists or GPs weighed in here? That is who I would listen to.

By all means go get a second opinion if you aren't satisfied you are getting good answers from this guy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Have any internists or GPs weighed in here?
Does a cardiologist count?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
My doctor doesn't seem to understand there is no human dietary requirement for carbohydrates. I continue to prove her wrong every year. Thinks I'm gonna get colon cancer if I don't get enough fiber. We're on our own people, doctors are not engineers or scientists. They rarely work in first principles or root cause.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You are a fat ass and that wont change. The doctor was right. Only 5% will put in the effort to improve their health and lower their weight.

Take the meds. IF you lose weight and improve your health, a good doctor would reevaluate the need to continue with your medications. or lower the dose.

Just telling it like it is. (Im a fat ass on meds too, with the same "Issue". I could lose weight and not need the meds too...)

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Have any internists or GPs weighed in here?
Does a cardiologist count?

Of course. Actual medical advice! Can't beat it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Listen to Scooter.
My only hesitation is about the valsartan. There’s nothing wrong with lisinopril or that with a thiazide.
Metformin is a good idea with that A1C which is prediabetic.

Thanks. What is the concern for Valsarten? I received my meds today. I have not started anything. I’ll repeat that no cholesterol or diabetes drugs have been prescribed yet. Based on all the replies I was thinking that I would start the blood pressure med and get my labs done in four weeks. My next appointment is not for six months. I will hold off on getting a new doctor until that point. However my labs could be better in six months and maybe I won’t know. I should have a good idea if I’ve succeeded in improving my health by then And I would request new labs if he wanted me on more drugs.

I am most concerned about taking multiple drugs for different things. I personally think it is dangerous. I have seen people suffer very bad health issues when they were on lots of pills. I did check the manufacture of the blood pressure medication and they do not have many for 483 observations at their last FDA audit. I was a bit concerned that they disregard many out of specifications as lab errors.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, V-Tail. I’m sure glad you’re back!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Listen to Scooter.
My only hesitation is about the valsartan. There’s nothing wrong with lisinopril or that with a thiazide.
Metformin is a good idea with that A1C which is prediabetic.

Thanks. What is the concern for Valsarten? I received my meds today. I have not started anything. I’ll repeat that no cholesterol or diabetes drugs have been prescribed yet. Based on all the replies I was thinking that I would start the blood pressure med and get my labs done in four weeks. My next appointment is not for six months. I will hold off on getting a new doctor until that point. However my labs could be better in six months and maybe I won’t know. I should have a good idea if I’ve succeeded in improving my health by then And I would request new labs if he wanted me on more drugs.

I am most concerned about taking multiple drugs for different things. I personally think it is dangerous. I have seen people suffer very bad health issues when they were on lots of pills. I did check the manufacture of the blood pressure medication and they do not have many for 483 observations at their last FDA audit. I was a bit concerned that they disregard many out of specifications as lab errors.

Another reason to schedule a CONSULT AND TALK with him. Many times you can walk out of a doctor’s office and feel like you just had a blur of things happen, so it’s understandable that you’d want things reiterated. He should be willing to do that with you so that you feel safe and comfortable taking the meds.
Obviously, our cardio guy offered some advice, so perhaps you can take comfort from that. Hope this helps.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing based on the link and CUT that sjstill is our cardio guy. He expressed concern about Valsarten, which is the only med prescribed so far. I’m reading reviews and it’s scaring me. Everyone seems to have horrible side effects from muscle cramps and swelling to headaches.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, you’re right, however he can’t see you from here, so you need to call and get clarity from your doc or his nurse to ease your concerns. I, too, hate taking any meds, so I understand, but if your doc doesn’t know about this concern, he’s working off of what has helped his other patients.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you have a stroke next week you didn't lose the weight and lower your BP soon enough. Just sayin'.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Only one form of Valsarten had the issue with cancer potential (apparently there a number of versions). I have been on it for the past few years with no side effects of any kind and a spectacular reduction of my BP (I'm now consistently around 120/80). I'm thinking my PCP was pretty sharp for putting me on it, since he knew my weight loss efforts that he encouraged were not exactly going great.

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I hadn’t had an exam since mid 2019. My doctor quit and I needed a new doc. I did a search and signed up with a local guy with decent reviews.

My last lab tests were in 2019. My blood pressure is always high and my former doc had me trying to improve it with weight loss and exercise. I have failed at that. I expected new doc to put me on meds and that wasn’t a surprise. My cholesterol has been fine but triglycerides high. My A1C was 5.7 which is the borderline.

Anyhow new doc immediately starts talking about putting me on diabetes med (metformin) and a cholesterol lowering drug. He tells me at 51 this is all genetic and I can’t do anything to stop it. He also says only 5% of men succeed with lifestyle changes. Basically he is saying give up and get on meds.

I left with a prescription for my blood pressure and lab tests ordered for me to get in 4 weeks.

I’m determined to do better with my health. I’ve been doing okay the last few months already.

This guy felt like a pharmaceutical salesman. I’m considering not starting the blood pressure meds and finding a new doctor. Oh he also said losing weight won’t help my blood pressure. I know for a fact my blood pressure directly correlates with my weight. I’ve seen this plain as day over the years. He dismissed this when I told him.

Do I dump him and start over? Or maybe start the blood pressure meds and see my labs in a few weeks? I’m gonna get the labs regardless so I can see my results before I go back.

Did he do a blood sugar test? Takes about 30 seconds. I am diabetic and I had a very bad reaction to metformin. My doctor said that it happens quite often.

If your doctor is prescribing medication/treatments for diabetes without the 10 second blood test I would rather quickly find a different doctor. Frankly, I don't see how the doctor can prescribe for diabetes with no more information than that.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am diabetic and I had a very bad reaction to metformin.

I too, in fact I have had problems with all the blood suger meds the docs have tried. Also STAY AWAY from Statins. When I stopped taking Simvastatin my blood sugar dropped immediately.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
He did not do a blood sugar test. But as I said he has not yet prescribed anything for diabetes. He wants to talk after blood tests come back when I take them in four weeks regarding diabetes and cholesterol. Right now my only concern is if I take the BP med.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yes, you’re right, however he can’t see you from here, so you need to call and get clarity from your doc or his nurse to ease your concerns. I, too, hate taking any meds, so I understand, but if your doc doesn’t know about this concern, he’s working off of what has helped his other patients.

I only wanted to know why Valsarten concerns Sjstill. Hoping he sees this.

These go to eleven.