SIGforum
Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2360055874

January 11, 2021, 07:09 PM
frayedends
Should I fire my new doctor? Update page 3.
I hadn’t had an exam since mid 2019. My doctor quit and I needed a new doc. I did a search and signed up with a local guy with decent reviews.

My last lab tests were in 2019. My blood pressure is always high and my former doc had me trying to improve it with weight loss and exercise. I have failed at that. I expected new doc to put me on meds and that wasn’t a surprise. My cholesterol has been fine but triglycerides high. My A1C was 5.7 which is the borderline.

Anyhow new doc immediately starts talking about putting me on diabetes med (metformin) and a cholesterol lowering drug. He tells me at 51 this is all genetic and I can’t do anything to stop it. He also says only 5% of men succeed with lifestyle changes. Basically he is saying give up and get on meds.

I left with a prescription for my blood pressure and lab tests ordered for me to get in 4 weeks.

I’m determined to do better with my health. I’ve been doing okay the last few months already.

This guy felt like a pharmaceutical salesman. I’m considering not starting the blood pressure meds and finding a new doctor. Oh he also said losing weight won’t help my blood pressure. I know for a fact my blood pressure directly correlates with my weight. I’ve seen this plain as day over the years. He dismissed this when I told him.

Do I dump him and start over? Or maybe start the blood pressure meds and see my labs in a few weeks? I’m gonna get the labs regardless so I can see my results before I go back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.
January 11, 2021, 07:17 PM
1s1k
He's probably like that because he's probably correct about the 5% will actually make a lifestyle change to handle it on their own.

If you really do think you can make the change tell him you want to try to fix it with a lifestyle change first so you need 6 months. If you can't get it done in 6 months then he was right.

I would at least try that before you dump him. It is a little disconcerting that he says it's all genetic because that's b.s.
January 11, 2021, 07:20 PM
TXJIM
Seems like you are looking for a doctor who will agree with you rather than shoot you straight. You already admitted that you failed at lifestyle changes. How about this approach, take the meds as he prescribed and get the health benefits you need. Then get after hose lifestyle changes and when you are slim and fit ween off the meds and prove him wrong. That way if he is right you don’t go another year with high BP whacked out labs Wink

January 11, 2021, 07:20 PM
K0ZZZ
With metformin, new research is showing it's pretty much the best thing people our age can take, even if they don't have diabetes. It has all these other protective effects on the brain, etc.

Cholesterol is a tough thing: Remember dietary cholesterol doesn't have anything to do with your blood cholesterol levels, it is pretty much genetic. I eat "high cholesterol" foods constantly and when I get blood work, my levels are almost too low. Other people who eat basically no cholesterol foods can have high levels.

For the BP meds, what kind? Old school diuretics are great, unless you have any worries about high potassium or kidney problems.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.
January 11, 2021, 07:25 PM
MikeinNC
They all push pills because that’s what they do.

I had to go to the VA for my hearing and they wanted a physical( just the hoops you gotta go thru) anyway, she sees my blood work and says I’m borderline on some things....

She’s never seen me before and doesn’t know me...tells me to stop drinking, stop eating red meat, blah blah blah....

I get home and find my results from the last five years and write them all out...

Guess what, my numbers always look like what she saw...almost exactly.

Go see my regular doc a month later and show him everything and explain, first worlds out of his mouth are, “do you remember statistics in school?” I laughed and said yeah...he says well your “normal” is the edge of the bell curve....don’t worry about it.

If it were me, I’d call him and tell him you will try lowering the numbers thru lifestyle change for six months...then revisit the scripts.

In the meantime see if you can pull up some of your old bloodwork results.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
January 11, 2021, 07:26 PM
nhtagmember
You should have a chat with him first to find out if he is willing to listen to you and offer alternatives and advice.

I am not a fan of pharmaceuticals as a solution - quit taking my cholesterol drug because it made me feel horrible.
January 11, 2021, 07:31 PM
irreverent
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
You should have a chat with him first to find out if he is willing to listen to you and offer alternatives and advice.

I am not a fan of pharmaceuticals as a solution - quit taking my cholesterol drug because it made me feel horrible.

If you’re not on the same page, it’s no good. Find a doc you can work with towards your better health, not someone you felt just brushed you out the door with some pills. See if you can have a chat, if not, move on. Interview them..you have a right to feel comfortable with the person who is working on your body to help you live a long, healthy life.

"Trust, but verify."
January 11, 2021, 07:35 PM
frayedends
He recommended Valstartan for BP. I don’t know much about it. I’m concerned because there was a huge recall in 2019 as a cancer causing chemical was found in it. The ingredient comes from China for most of the generic forms. I’ve emailed the prescription company to find out where my generic is made. I also asked about cost for the name brand that is made in USA. I will check the company out for inspection findings once I know.

As far as meds he wants me on a combo similar to what my mom was on when she suffered a stroke like event. Never diagnosed as a stroke. But she deteriorated quickly into dementia after that. I believe all the meds were the cause.

As far as lifestyle changes I think I’ll succeed. I’ve been living the high life the past few years after getting past divorce and having a great woman. It’s been party time. But time to settle down a bit now.

These go to eleven.
January 11, 2021, 07:49 PM
TBH
quote:
Wayne

If you have to take meds, then you have to.
Due to all the side effects out there, I’m hoping to hold off as long as I can. 60 years old and counting!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15
January 11, 2021, 08:00 PM
mcrimm
My last A1C was 5.4 and I take Metformin twice a day. I have taken it for a number of years and my numbers have greatly improved after I lost over 10% of my body weight last year. I have read about the benefits of Metformin in studies that show increase life expectancy and protection of the brain as earlier mentioned. I can't detect any side effects from the drug. It's the only drug I take other than a host of vitamins.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
January 11, 2021, 08:18 PM
Rey HRH
If you don't like in any way, dump him. My old doctor retired; he was replaced by a female. She was good. She tried to keep getting me to take diabetes medicine; I kept refusing. She asked why; I said diabetes pills make you fatter and make you more diabetic. So she gave me a several years.

Finally, she talked me into Ozempic injections. I went with that. With each check up, my blood sugar kept going down.

Unfortunately, I had to move and also get new insurance. New guy had an attitude. He was surprised I was on Ozempic. He said people normally get medicine first before the insurance would okay Ozempic. I said because she's a good doctor.

He rubbed me wrong in other ways like he's the expert and I shouldn't question him. I looked for a new doctor soon as I could.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 11, 2021, 08:25 PM
Sportshooter
I was taking way too much Metformin and 100 units of insulin a day with a side of BP medication.
I learned how to use an I-pot, some spices and a few plant based recipes to lose some weight.
After eating fried everything with gravy for 70+ years, I had to have bypass surgery.
Since my surgery, I’ve lost another 30 lbs. and no longer take BP medication and hardly take any med to control my blood sugar.
I can’t help but believe that the fat content of my food and my weight were the source of my problems.
If you want more information, drop me an email.
January 11, 2021, 08:36 PM
Scooter123
I've been where you are and done that. I would advise you follow hte current plan of action, meaning go on blood pressure meds and the statin. Because it will improve your health right now and you do need that help right now. Just be aware that if you do improve your lifestyle and your blood pressure starts to drop you can taper back on those meds with the full approval of your doctor.

Back in 2015 I had an epiphany. That was the realization that if I remained parked on my couch I would not live much longer. Weight was 205 and I was way out of shape with a resting pulse in the low 80's. I'll also note that wen I started on Lisinopril my blood pressure was 160/80.

Now I weigh in at 155, my dosage of Lisinopril is half of what I started at and my blood pressure is 110/65 at rest. I can also go out for a 4 mile jog and still have the energy to take the dog for a 2 mile walk when I'm done. Note resting pulse is mid to high 40's.

I started with my changes by walking. Over a 4 month period I worked up to walking 6 miles a day and lost 50 lbs. I also started paying attention to what I was eating. The final step took place after my open heart surgery. BTW, all that exercise likely saved my life. While I didn't have a heart attack I did have a rather nasty spell of AFIB. Turned out in addition to 3 blockages I had a Mitral valve that needed repair. During the recovery process I went thru a thorough review of what I was eating and it was determined I really needed cut back on sodium, meaning cut the salt intake. Because just about any food you eat in a restaurant is LOADED with salt.

So, Diet. For home cooked meals it's Turkey, Chicken, or Fish(Salmon). All meats are cooked without any salt. Veggies are what ever looks good and fresh. Snacks, mainly salt free potato chips. Sounds horrible but salt free chips actually taste better once you get used to them. Brand is a Detroit brand, Better Made. Healthy Choice frozen entrees are just that, very healthy. Low in salt and saturated fat and they are actually quite tasty. Have those on days I feel too lazy to cook.

Anyhow consider this an example of an approach that may help you find your own path.

I've stopped counting.
January 11, 2021, 08:46 PM
sjtill
Listen to Scooter.
My only hesitation is about the valsartan. There’s nothing wrong with lisinopril or that with a thiazide.
Metformin is a good idea with that A1C which is prediabetic.

January 11, 2021, 08:59 PM
frayedends
To be clear the Valstartan for BP is the only thing prescribed currently. I think maybe I’ll get my labs in 4 weeks and see where I am at. But do I start taking this stuff? If I was sure I was getting rid of the doctor I’d maybe monitor my progress on my blood pressure before hitting meds. But he wants my labs once I’m on the meds, to monitor kidney liver stuff I assume.

My cholesterol is not high so I don’t know why he’s suggesting meds unless they lower triglycerides. My triglycerides are high from drinking too often.

These go to eleven.
January 11, 2021, 09:54 PM
Chowser
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Finally, she talked me into Ozempic injections. I went with that. With each check up, my blood sugar kept going down. .

Are you still doing the Ozempic? How has it been for you?

My insurance covered Rybelsus so that's what I've been doing and it seems to be helping except I need to tell my doc, after a large meal (hey it was the holidays), I'd fall asleep after the meal. Had my kid test my blood while I was out and it seems to be low (like 60s). So I'm wondering if Rybelsus is too strong. It's still happening so I've changed to multiple small meals and it hasn't happened again. He didn't take me off my Janumet or Invokana (yep, I'm taking three meds for diabetes)

Not minority enough!
January 11, 2021, 11:56 PM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Finally, she talked me into Ozempic injections. I went with that. With each check up, my blood sugar kept going down. .

Are you still doing the Ozempic? How has it been for you?

My insurance covered Rybelsus so that's what I've been doing and it seems to be helping except I need to tell my doc, after a large meal (hey it was the holidays), I'd fall asleep after the meal. Had my kid test my blood while I was out and it seems to be low (like 60s). So I'm wondering if Rybelsus is too strong. It's still happening so I've changed to multiple small meals and it hasn't happened again. He didn't take me off my Janumet or Invokana (yep, I'm taking three meds for diabetes)

I'm still doing the Ozempic but I don't really check my blood sugar. But every time I've gotten a blood test, it has kept going down and I've also lost weight. She said maybe another year and I could come off.

I know the new thing is you either are or not diabetic. She (although she's fairly young) classified me as pre-diabetic. So I went with that. Sorry, I can't be much help.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 12, 2021, 12:36 AM
OttoSig
I would agree that his statistics are probably correct. You admit you have failed up to this point. Doing good the last few months, while admirable, isn't going to change much. Gonna take much longer than that.

If he let you decide the best course of action and something went wrong we may have a "Should I sue my doctor thread"

So I'd say give him time, he's probably right in his logic even if it seems a little defeating.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!
January 12, 2021, 08:50 AM
ZSMICHAEL
Sounds like you do not like your new Doc. Seems to me he lacks social skills and the power of persuasion. Tell him and see how he deals with that. Practicing medicine is an Art not prescribing out of a textbook. Tell him that he has not taken the time to get to know you. That should get his attention.
January 12, 2021, 08:52 AM
Flash-LB
The last Doctor I fired told me that I needed to take cholesterol medication because my total cholesterol was 230.

My LDL was 131 and my HDL was 99 and my triglyceride levels were great.

I fired him. Sometimes you've got to do what's best for you.