SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying a car online from Carvana?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a car online from Carvana? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
There's really no sense in the current dealership model.

It's actually pretty ridiculous when you look at how regulated a car sales industry is. So many rules that unnecessarily create a high entry barrier for competitors.

Manufacturers should just sell straight to consumer.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of mixed reviews on reddit. Seems like some people get lucky and others... not so much. Also lots of reports of trouble getting the car titled/registered. Considering you're paying a premium for this service I would expect to see far less unhappy customers.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
But then you wouldn't get to listen to the absolutely worse salespeople on the planet attempt to rip you off, all while telling you what a good deal you are getting from them!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Tesla does this.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have Carvana, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz and I imagine CarMax inventory at your fingertips. I recommend going through all of them and comparison shop.

Then, go check out trucar.com and compare prices there.

A couple of hours should get you a decent price on the car you want.

I don't know this for certain, but I believe that a certain portion of CarMax's inventory are former rental vehicles. I have read that the large car rental companies turn over 90% of their fleet every year.

When we bought our used Kia Sorento from Enterprise, the saleman told me that Enterprise cherry picks the best for their lots and then wholesales off the rest.

I have read that the rental companies purchase some cars with repurchase agreements. So the manufacturer buys the car back after a certain period of time. If this is true then I would imagine that some of those cars end up in Carvana's or CarMax's inventory.

I would have no problem buying from Carvana. I would just spend half a day doing Internet research to make sure you really are getting the best deal available.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Then just walk into the dealership and pay whatever they're asking for the car. They'll have you out the door in no time.

Maybe the current generation wouldn't be quite as broke if they developed a few personal skills. Just sayin'.

Perhaps the problem isn't just skills, more like they just don't want to deal with this type of sale. Especially in the historic format it's been done, and not just cars, they don't want to do it that way for anything.
Kinda the defining character of the current generation isn't it? Anything they don't like (Ex. any type of confrontation or most things that might require them to deal one on one with people) they seek to avoid, rather than simply learning how to adapt and work the system to their own benefit. Unfortunately for them they're not going to be able to automate every aspect of their lives, and constantly opting for convenience over smart buying is ok when you're wealthy, but its a good way to stay cash poor when you're not.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Then, go check out trucar.com and compare prices there.

Don’t use Truecar. They’re funded by the auto dealers. It’s just a place the auto dealers pay to get your contact info.

“TrueCar, Inc. is an automotive pricing and information website for new and used car buyers and dealers. TrueCar is paid by dealerships so they can obtain potential buyers' contact information.“

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCar

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Kinda the defining character of the current generation isn't it? Anything they don't like (Ex. any type of confrontation or most things that might require them to deal one on one with people) they seek to avoid, rather than simply learning how to adapt and work the system to their own benefit. Unfortunately for them they're not going to be able to automate every aspect of their lives, and constantly opting for convenience over smart buying is ok when you're wealthy, but its a good way to stay cash poor when you're not.

I wonder why the auto-industry is pretty much the only one to hold onto this outmoded method of sales...?

Likely because it benefits them to get you in the store and have 3 potential ways to fuck you (sale prices, trade price, and financing).

Pretty much every thing else is pretty much find what you want, pay for it, get it.

But auto sales, yeah, it's different. You have to do what the old men say, deal with the pit of snakes trying to screw you. Waste your time, grind you on all angles. If you don't like it, you like mail order brides, aren't a 'man', and have no social skills. Very similar argument to the liberal way of using the 'extreme' case to prove the normal case... aka stupid.

Or more than likely, it's something everyone hates doing, it's a waste of time, and now technology is moving to a way beyond this outmoded ritual.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Likely because it benefits them to get you in the store and have 3 potential ways to fuck you (sale prices, trade price, and financing).
Of course its beneficial to the dealers, distributors, and manufacturers to do it the way they do it. All the more reason to recognize this reality and instead of moaning about the process, learn how to work within it. People don't have to get F-d over buying a new car if they learn a few basic skills. That same skill set will also prove valuable in other aspects of their lives as well.
quote:
You have to do what the old men say, deal with the pit of snakes trying to screw you.
Wrong. There are ways to either circumvent that process (i.e. dealers internet sales person) or work your way through the standard process to get the outcome you want. Like everything else, its simply a learned skill set in dealing with dealership sales.
quote:
If you don't like it, you like mail order brides, aren't a 'man', and have no social skills. Very similar argument to the liberal way of using the 'extreme' case to prove the normal case... aka stupid.
Don't think I impugned anyone's manhood, nor do I think I suggested the current generation have no social skills. Mail order brides? Not even going there. An awful lot of the current generation does however suffer from an inability to deal productively with any form of confrontation. That's unfortunate given the world will send confrontation their way on a regular basis throughout their lives.
quote:
Or more than likely, it's something everyone hates doing, it's a waste of time, and now technology is moving to a way beyond this outmoded ritual.
Yep, sounds about right. Don't like the current process, no problem. Just jump online, spend $25k+ on something they've never seen or driven, and pay $2k to $3k more than they could/should have, all so they can avoid having to deal with the terrible dealership man. Oh, and continually bitch and moan about not having any money in the bank.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly appreciate all of the above input - this is I am grateful for the chance to be a part of this site. The width and depth that our group can offer on so many aspects of life is so very hard to find!

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Tesla does this.

Tesla has to use some pretty big loop holes to make it happen. They don't have dealerships, they have experience centers. The associates are not car salespeople, it's not a dealership, and you can't buy a car at their stores.

You buy the car online. The associates can help you navigate the website while at the store and select options and explain things to you, but ultimately, you buy the car online.

Like I said, the auto sales laws are pretty stupid.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then just walk into the dealership and pay whatever they're asking for the car. They'll have you out the door in no time.

In fairness, haggling for a car is going away. More and more dealers simply post the price, take it or leave it.

You don’t haggle for milk, cheese or bread anymore why should the price of a car be different?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
In fairness, haggling for a car is going away. More and more dealers simply post the price, take it or leave it.
And in almost ever case I've dealt with a "The price is on the windshield", I've still found ways to get the car for less. Price of the new car is only one component of the purchase.
quote:
You don’t haggle for milk, cheese or bread anymore why should the price of a car be different?
Because dealers have a multitude of ways to make money on a sale (i.e. dealer holdback, incentives, rebates, dealer cash, etc). You also don't trade in anything, or finance anything to buy milk or cheese.

Look, this applies on numerous levels. I just replaced a battery in my Generac standalone generator. Old battery was out of warranty and new battery at Autozone was $149. I took the old battery to an Autozone store where I've dealt with the manager for a couple years. Since they price match, I gave him the $54.95 price of a similar (but not exact) Walmart battery and reminded him of all the business I'd done with him over the past few years. Though the Walmart battery wasn't an exact match, he gave me the Autozone battery for the same price anyway to "Keep my business". So I saved ~$100 by just using some interpersonal and negotiating skills. Does $100 make or break me? Of course not, but just like with cars, why pay more when you don't have to.

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
Any of you guys have any experience/knowledge concerning Carvana?

New or used cars being sold?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
Any of you guys have any experience/knowledge concerning Carvana?

New or used cars being sold?

Definitely used!

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
There's really no sense in the current dealership model.

It's actually pretty ridiculous when you look at how regulated a car sales industry is. So many rules that unnecessarily create a high entry barrier for competitors.

If you could get an honest answer from a manufacturer, they'd tell you they do not want to deal with the general public any more than absolutely necessary. Every one of them use their dealer network to divorce themselves from direct contact with their end users. Just as someone might use a proverbial 10 foot pole. You know who answers that 1-800-eat-sh*t number at Ford? Before they outsourced it (last I heard it was Canada), it was college interns and new hires. They had one job. Ever see a U pipe in the plumbing section of Home Depot? They specialized in referring everything back to the dealer network.

The way the manufacturers work it is really not all that different from most manufactured goods in the world. They are just the most complex and expensive of all the durable goods you'll likely ever buy.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post