SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying a car online from Carvana?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a car online from Carvana? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Carvana exists solely because of how awful the dealer experience is.

Same with carmax. People will knowingly pay more money just to not put up with all the dealer bullshit.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
That’s what this guy had to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gd3Jlj5Bk

Sounds like someone modded and tuned it, then tracked it, sold it to someone else who brought it in for service and they said nope, not OEM anymore. Probably then got dumped at auction and carvana picked it up.
I would have been livid, lucky the guy caught it in the no questions asked return period. That factory warranty is worth thousands in value to the car.

More than likely it was a track car that was sold directly to a driving/performance school. Those cars typically have their warranty blocked (voided) automatically.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 friends of mine bought cars from Carvana recently. Both looked to be new. After a couple of weeks, one friend saw rust on underbody parts, and had Carvana exchanging the car - no issue.

Both are happy with the purchases.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
More than likely it was a track car that was sold directly to a driving/performance school. Those cars typically have their warranty blocked (voided) automatically.

Didn't think of that, but that's definitely a possibility too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
To many dealers now use "no hassle pricing". The price on the window sticker is what it is. It's supposed to be better, but I'd rather haggle a little with the sales manager.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
My thoughts too. One time I had a certain model in mind. Went to the dealership and test drove it. Was disappointed with it , not at all what I was expecting. Bought a totally different car.

This right here. At one point we thought we wanted a Land Rover Discovery. One test drive changed our minds. Ended up buying a Mercedes GLK.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Carvana exists solely because of how awful the dealer experience is.

Same with carmax. People will knowingly pay more money just to not put up with all the dealer bullshit.

Pretty much this.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Why even deal with the lot lizards? Deal with the internet sales department through email and have dealers fight against each other for your $$$. You’ll get a lot better price than Carmax or Carvana. Easy peasy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In FL if you buy it on the lot, once you leave it's yours, no returns regardless of the reason, it would be up to the dealer to decide, and they aren't going to let you bring it back.

So the trick is to have them deliver it to your home, and sign the papers at your home, then you get a grace period where you can return it and the dealer cannot argue about it.

Carvana and what will be more of these services coming to market take away that problem, even if you get a lemon, just like Wal-Mart send it back. To some that's better than test driving 10 used cars at 10 different lots and having to negotiate with 10 dealers, and their return calls.

Neighbor works for the second largest auto wholesale auction in the USA, they move thousands of cars a day, dealers look at inventory, condition, and cash flow then these guys pick up the cars, take them to a local auction and sell them. However now the trend is to send a photographer to the lot, take pictures of the vehicles at the lot, and e-sale them to other dealers.

It eliminates the cost of transport, labor at the block, auctioneer fees which are a big expense, and a used car manager in Denver can select the vehicle he wants and buy it from anywhere in the USA. He's not limited to local auction inventory.

People today don't want to mess with days of research, hunting vehicles, going through lots with a sales guy on your hip while they search.

ALthough I agree I'd want to drive it before buying but then again, that shows my age,

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the kind of person that likes Carvana would love the Mail Order Bride concept. You forgo the hassle of dating and wasting time with someone you dislike and cut to the chase. What could possibly go wrong????

Seriously, there is a hidden cost to convenience.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
There’s a world of difference in “mail order brides” and buying a damn car.

What’s next, Amazon and eBay are like online dating sites? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont get your panties in a wad. It was a joke. Did I strike a nerve?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lol I guess we have a bunch a used car salesman here!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dont get your panties in a wad. It was a joke. Did I strike a nerve?

Sorry man - it’s probably me. Going through a tough deadline and I’m seeing dark clouds were there aren’t any.

Apologies.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries. Go hang out for awhile.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
There’s a world of difference in “mail order brides” and buying a damn car.

What’s next, Amazon and eBay are like online dating sites? Roll Eyes

I dunno, you think you're getting a new or lightly used model, but someones ridden it before, hard and fast most likely since they weren't going to stay with it, most of them the front end chatters, the rear sways too much, after a while you get tired of putting up with the crap it causes and want to trade it, but you're under water and someone wants 20% of it's net worth to deal with it, you end up with less cash, and a new set of problems...

Seems similar to me...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Much easier and Less stressful than going to the dealer and playing stupid games for hours with someone who can’t even tell you what your payment will be.
If you're doing it this way you're not doing it right. Last car I bought took about an hour total including the test drive.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
It works with some because not everyone like negotiating, and you can't blame that on any generation or parents, it's simply the way some people are wired.
Then just walk into the dealership and pay whatever they're asking for the car. They'll have you out the door in no time.

Maybe the current generation wouldn't be quite as broke if they developed a few personal skills. Just sayin'.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Probably then got dumped at auction and carvana picked it up.
That should have showed up on the Carfax report.
quote:
I would have been livid, lucky the guy caught it in the no questions asked return period.
In Florida he likely still could have gotten his money back even after the return period given the details of this particular sale though he'd likely have had to go through an attorney to get it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Then just walk into the dealership and pay whatever they're asking for the car. They'll have you out the door in no time.

Maybe the current generation wouldn't be quite as broke if they developed a few personal skills. Just sayin'.

Perhaps the problem isn't just skills, more like they just don't want to deal with this type of sale. Especially in the historic format it's been done, and not just cars, they don't want to do it that way for anything.

Just point, click, buy, satisfied. The quicker it's done, the better.

And whats wrong with Mail order brides,