SIGforum
Buying a car online from Carvana?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2360054074

May 21, 2020, 10:32 PM
Southern Rebel
Buying a car online from Carvana?
Any of you guys have any experience/knowledge concerning Carvana?
May 21, 2020, 10:37 PM
sns3guppy
I don't, but I work with someone who did, and who was quite satisfied. He picked it up at the big five or six story "vending machine," too.
May 21, 2020, 11:16 PM
bigdeal
Honest question... Why would anyone want to buy a big ticket item like a vehicle sight unseen? I know, I know, they have return policies and all that, but why even go through that on such an expensive item? Guess I'm just showing my age, but I don't grasp the attractiveness of the concept.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
May 21, 2020, 11:20 PM
PASig
My neighbor bought a Dodge Caravan from them and I checked it out, it’s in perfect shape. He said it was 40 minutes start to finish to find a van and do the financing and they delivered the van right to his house like 2-3 days later. IIRC they give you something like a 30 day return policy if you get it and are not happy in any way.

May 22, 2020, 02:17 AM
Aeteocles
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Honest question... Why would anyone want to buy a big ticket item like a vehicle sight unseen? I know, I know, they have return policies and all that, but why even go through that on such an expensive item? Guess I'm just showing my age, but I don't grasp the attractiveness of the concept.

The internet provides me with complete and accurate information about every vehicle make and model available.

When I arrive at the dealership, I have already picked out the vehicle and trim that I want. I don't want to hear the opinion of a biased and self interested sales person. All I want is real time inventory information from the dealer--a dealer can't even offer you accurate price information because you know for a fact that the price they give you is negotiable.

Even used cars are pretty much fungible goods at this point.
Used cars are quite reliable, manufacturing tolerances are quite remarkable, QC is generally pretty consistent, and data is available about common concerns and problems. With quality pictures and video, I can more easily select a vehicle in the trim and condition I want from an online database rather than randomly hitting up used car lots and hoping I get lucky.

So, Carvana makes sense, as do many other low overhead online car shopping apps/sites. The only reason I shop at a dealership is so I can negotiate a more favorable price.

The days of test driving a bunch of cars to find the one you like is long gone.
May 22, 2020, 04:21 AM
BigJoe
I grasp the concept of trying to save time by not test driving etc. But maybe I am old school, but I would rather test drive 3-8 cars and be able to see how it feels and handles before I buy one sight unseen.

I also wonder how the return policy is actually implemented. Do you just call up and say , hey come pick it up, and they pick it up no questions ask before it is returned. Or is it complicated.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!
May 22, 2020, 04:48 AM
calugo
I'd never buy a car sight unseen so when it comes time to buy a vehicle off I'll go to the car dealership. I have to test drive the car and see how it handles, how it performs, is it comfortable for me, how the controls are laid out etc. I do my homework before visiting the dealership so I know what car I want and what I'm willing to pay so it's just a matter of finding a dealership willing to sell me the car for what I'm willing to pay. While Karvana may have a return policy I'd rather not go through the hassle of buying the car, returning the car and then buying another car.
May 22, 2020, 06:05 AM
bdylan
I much prefer to do all my shopping online. I don't require 'assistance' and know what I want. I would never stroll into a dealership in person...those days are long gone for me. I have the deal fully negotiated before I ever go down to the car lot.
May 22, 2020, 06:11 AM
PowerSurge
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'd never buy a car sight unseen so when it comes time to buy a vehicle off I'll go to the car dealership. I have to test drive the car and see how it handles, how it performs, is it comfortable for me, how the controls are laid out etc. I do my homework before visiting the dealership so I know what car I want and what I'm willing to pay so it's just a matter of finding a dealership willing to sell me the car for what I'm willing to pay. While Karvana may have a return policy I'd rather not go through the hassle of buying the car, returning the car and then buying another car.

That’s what this guy had to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gd3Jlj5Bk

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
May 22, 2020, 06:12 AM
kramden
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
My thoughts too. One time I had a certain model in mind. Went to the dealership and test drove it. Was disappointed with it , not at all what I was expecting. Bought a totally different car.
May 22, 2020, 06:14 AM
NapoleonSolo
I am in the automotive business and have been for 30 plus years. Everything in life is a trade off somewhere. I have bought a lot of new vehicles and a few used. You will pay more for a vehicle at Carvana no question. You won't see it or drive it and you have no idea who owned it before other than what the Carfax shows. Lots of convenience with buying online with them though. Like some have said, I want to see it and drive it before I buy it. I can't do that with them and even though they have a money back guarantee, it would not be fun trying to turn it back in. Bottom line is if I found a perfect late model (2-4 years old)I might consider it IF the price is very competitive. By the way, Hertz is on the verge of bankruptcy and if that happens, used vehicle prices will tank hard. I would wait a few weeks to see what happens there.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius
May 22, 2020, 07:04 AM
.38supersig
There will always be a market for people who want to purchase a driving appliance.

May 22, 2020, 07:26 AM
MikeinNC
My big kid used them for his current car. He knew what he wanted and they delivered it to the house with a SEVEN day return option. He Loved it. All he did was sign some papers and he was off to the races. Much easier and
Less stressful than going to the dealer and playing stupid games for hours with someone who can’t even tell you what your payment will be.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
May 22, 2020, 07:29 AM
blueye
I guess if you can find a wife online why not a car? You don't have to leave your parents basement. Big Grin
May 22, 2020, 08:03 AM
Jimbo Jones
Two years ago I didn an extensive search for a 3 yr. old Honda Accord V-6 EX-L. I found that Carvana had a lot but they were consistently $1.5 - 2 K over the dealer offered inventory.

In the end I found an off lease CPO (was being offered by the same dealership that leased it) 2015 w 32k miles for a lot less than the Carvana offerings.

Take home message: convenience and ease of purchase have a cost associated w it (around 10% in this case).

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
May 22, 2020, 08:51 AM
229DAK
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I guess if you can find a wife online...

I prefer to test-drive them first. Big Grin

May 22, 2020, 09:39 AM
Perception
Every time I look at Carvana I cringe at how much they are asking for their vehicles. They seem to have a truly ridiculous markup on everything they sell. It may be more convenient, but you pay for it in this case.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
May 22, 2020, 09:45 AM
Pyker
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
I guess if you can find a wife online...

I prefer to test-drive them first. Big Grin

And see how they handle.
May 22, 2020, 09:46 AM
HRK
Who says they didn't go out and test drive a few examples of the model they like, or that they are simply upgrading their Toyota to a newer Toyota either because its time, or they totalled the old one.

It works with some because not everyone like negotiating, and you can't blame that on any generation or parents, it's simply the way some people are wired.

Point, click, buy... the same ingrained natural buying platform as Amazon.

The big thing car dealers need to fear is Amazon buying Carvana and one of the big car auction companies, they'll change the industry for good....

May 22, 2020, 09:51 AM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

That’s what this guy had to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gd3Jlj5Bk

Sounds like someone modded and tuned it, then tracked it, sold it to someone else who brought it in for service and they said nope, not OEM anymore. Probably then got dumped at auction and carvana picked it up.

I would have been livid, lucky the guy caught it in the no questions asked return period. That factory warranty is worth thousands in value to the car.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis