SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    West Virginia police officer dies 2 days after being shot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Virginia police officer dies 2 days after being shot Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
I grew up about 20 miles south of Charleston and my Brother is currently a Deputy Sheriff in Kanawha County. Its hard to believe someone would shoot a LEO over a parking complaint. At least she got off a couple of rounds into him.

RIP Officer Johnson

Link

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia police officer has died two days after being shot by a suspect while responding to a parking complaint.

The city of Charleston announced officer Cassie Johnson’s death in a news release Thursday. Johnson, 28, joined the city as a humane officer in October 2017 and was sworn in as a patrol officer in January 2019.

“Cassie was an exemplary police officer. She embodied everything that the Charleston Police Department is and strives to be — courageous, compassionate and selfless for the citizens of the city that she loved,” Police Chief Tyke Hunt said in the statement. “Her legacy will live on in the officers and the citizens that she touched and inspired everyday.”

City flags were ordered lowered to half-staff.

“We are heartbroken at the loss of Cassie,” Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin said. “She was always willing to lend an extra hand, going above and beyond in every situation. The City of Charleston is a safer, more vibrant place because of Cassie and we are grateful for her service.”

Joshua M. Phillips, 38, of Charleston, is accused of shooting Johnson, Kanawha County Sheriff Mike Rutherford said. Phillips also was wounded on Tuesday and was taken into custody a short distance away. He remained hospitalized. No charges were immediately filed.

According to a criminal complaint, Phillips had been free on bond from a January 2020 weapon-related arrest, news outlets reported.

Tributes to Johnson poured in from state officials.

“I know our entire home state feels the loss of a first responder – those who are selflessly willing to put themselves in harm’s way to protect and serve our communities,” U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin said.

U.S. Sen. Shelley Moore Capito said on the Senate floor that everyone should recognize the sacrifices that police officers make.

“Police officers like Officer Johnson never know what’s around the corner,” Capito said. “You never know. She thought she was going for a parking violation. It’s a hard job and one that is rarely appreciated enough.”

Sgt. Brian Humphreys, a sheriff’s spokesman, told the Charleston Gazette-Mail that the call to police Tuesday came after Phillips allegedly parked a vehicle in a driveway that was not his. Phillips then went into a home across the street. After he left the home, Phillips was met by Johnson and the two started having a discussion.

Humphreys said Phillips allegedly used his own firearm to shoot Johnson, hitting her once in the face. Johnson shot Phillips, striking him twice in the torso, according to Humphreys. It’s unclear who shot first, although it’s believed Johnson first pulled out a gun, the spokesman said.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are diminished.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Does WVA have capital punishment for killing law enforcement officers?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
No, West Virginia abolished the death penalty in 1965.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Killing law enforcement officers has become so common these days, it hardly rates a 30 second sound byte by the media. Very sad commentary on how this country has evolved.

So far in 2020 the number of LEO who have been killed in the line of duty has surpassed 2019. The ccp crud has also effected to many officers just doing their jobs.

https://nleomf.org/preliminary-fatalities

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
No, West Virginia abolished the death penalty in 1965.

Officially. Though I imagine there's been quite a few suspects who were never officially arrested. Never found either.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That is very sad news

RIP officer

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
May Joshua M. Phillips be infected with sepsis and suffer a very painful death.....

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
May God Bless her. She is a hero. Fought with everything she had to defeat an evil coward. May she Rip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post