SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice about configuring workstation computer.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice about configuring workstation computer. Login/Join 
posted
I need help and advice in configuring a mobile workstation. I have compared Dell and HP and think a Dell 7720 is probably a better value.
I currently have an HP Pavilion Elite running Windows 7 which I intend to keep because of some legacy software which will probably never be upgraded to Win 10.

Here is my current thinking;
Dell 7720 Mobile workstation
Display; 17.3” UHD (3840X2160)
Configuration;
Processor; Intel Xeon E3-1535M v6 Quad Core 3.10-4.20gz Turbo, 8MB w/Intel HD Graphics 630
Graphics Card; Nvidia Quatro Pro w/6GB GDDR5
Memory; 64GB (4X16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SDRAM
Hard Drive 1; 512GB M.2 PCLe SSD Class 40
Hard drive 2; 1TB 2.5in 7200 SATA

OS: to start; Windows 10 Pro quad core for workstations.

For about +$200; I can reconfigure it by reducing to 32GB (4X8GB) of memory and increase the HD to 1TB M.2 PCLe SSD Class 40.

Another processor choice for about the same money is; i7-6920 Quad 2.9-3.8hz Graphics 530

What are my plans for it?
I want to do some DSLR video editing, my 810 shoots 1920X1080 format frame rate 60 progressive.

The still photo raw files are very large FX sensor is 7360X4912 (effective 36 million pixels).

I want to use the work station to better focus the lens for macro shots.

I intend to use it with a ballistic program and target camera when our new 600 yard range opens (next month).

I don’t really care if it’s heavy and hot, I will not be using it as a laptop.

Roger.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t really care if it’s heavy and hot, I will not be using it as a laptop.

If you're not going to use it as a laptop, why not just get a desktop? It should be cheaper.
For $4899, you can get a really nice desktop and a significantly larger monitor.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to have a mobile or portable, battery powered unit.

I do not intend to actually operate it on my lap.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
For mobile workstations Dell Precision is where it's at.

I would go with the cheapest storage option and throw away whatever drive they put in and get one or two samsung SSDs and re-load the OS.

OEM mushkin SSDs have been problematic for a lot of people, and Dell is not the only one who puts those awful failing drives in their laptops.

If I bought any laptop right now, Id cheap out on the storage(consider it trash) and load my own Samsung evo SSD into it.

All the other stuff is solid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DoctorSolo,

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Your bottle neck when working with video and raw image files is going to be hard drive space and drive speed.

You'll probably want to toss out the 2nd platter drive and put in a second SSD.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned it will not be used as a laptop ~ you would be better served by building or buying an actual desktop workstation/monitor.
You will get far better performance and it will be cheaper too.
Laptops are built for convenience and mobility and will never rival a properly configured workstation/desktop.
You can even get ones with small space saving footprint and the custom monitor of your choice.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it will not be used on my lap (one definition of a laptop) it needs to be mobile and capable of operation where power is either not available or not easily accessable. So it must be battery operated.

Drsolo; I share your concerns about Dell's HD components, but I am worried about warrantee if I change the HD to Samsung.
I have generally added memory and reconfigured only after the warrantee expired.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you intend on using the laptop for tethered shooting while out in the field.

CPU power isn't going to be as important as data transfer speed to the hard drive.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like you intend on using the laptop for tethered shooting while out in the field.

Yes; for macro shots it's possible to get a very good focus if you use live view on a large screen. Macro focus is always a compromise so the bigger the screen the easier to see what is in and out of focus---and to adjust exposure.
It also gives you a chance to see whether you have an acceptable shot before you tear down your set-up.

Video editing can be done where there is power, but there is no power at the 600 yard range and we want to use a large monitor for the yet to be purchased target camera.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
While it will not be used on my lap (one definition of a laptop) it needs to be mobile and capable of operation where power
is either not available or not easily accessable. So it must be battery operated.

Drsolo; I share your concerns about Dell's HD components, but I am worried about warrantee if I change the HD to Samsung.
I have generally added memory and reconfigured only after the warrantee expired.

Maybe then select a suitable ssd/multi ssd option and go big on the support options if you dont want to crack it open. You might be able to replace the HDD without voiding the warranty on the rest of the machine. Worth asking dell.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post