SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling gold coins question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling gold coins question Login/Join 
posted
A 1996 1/2oz gold American Eagle (Proof); in a sealed plastic case, but with no grading or certification. A local dealer says he will only pay gold spot price for the coin, is that all it's worth? I see that APMEX is selling the same coin between $1100-$1300 so that's where my confusion is coming from.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
A 1996 1/2oz gold American Eagle (Proof); in a sealed plastic case, but with no grading or certification. A local dealer says he will only pay gold spot price for the coin, is that all it's worth? I see that APMEX is selling the same coin between $1100-$1300 so that's where my confusion is coming from.

Yes.
This is just a GAE, and an uncertified ungraded one. Nothing special about it. It's not a Saint-Gaudens.

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Some gold coins have collector values above market price for gold.

Having said that, one has to be very careful when dealing in the "gold coin" market. Some of them are not solid gold, rather gold plated, and the plating is VERY thin.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elk - it's definitely the real deal as far as the quality and quantity of gold, and the dealer mentioned it was a proof coin so that helps somewhat.

12131 - Would getting it graded/certified substantially increase the value?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
12131 - Would getting it graded/certified substantially increase the value?

Very little, if at all, unless you can get a grade of PR70 (that's perfection). Any little increase in value would have been negated by the cost of certification. Certifying/grading these common coins gives you the peace of mind that they are guaranteed to be authentic. But, it looks like the dealer already knew that.

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What a dealer will sell you one for vs what the dealer will buy one from you is the difference you are experiencing.

Call AMPEX and ask what they will pay you for it.

Plus or minus a bit of a premium, gold/silver are worth their spot weight. The fact the dealer will give you spot is an indicator the coin has some collecting value otherwise the offer would be less than spot ("buyer's premium" I think is the term).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Check out this PCGS PRICE GUIDE for certified GAEs.
MS = Mint State
PR = Proof

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/pri...idedetail.aspx?c=793

Q

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Here AMPEX's sell price for today..$736

http://www.apmex.com/product/1...ican-eagle-w-box-coa
They don't show their buy price but you could call them.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
It is bullion in the shape of a coin.

I'd reach out to David Troung. He makes it easy and safe.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks guys - your knowledge and advice is a huge help! (As always Smile)

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
It is bullion in the shape of a coin.

Very true. But some of them are highly valued and sought after. An example is the 1995-W $1 Silver American Eagle in grades, say, PR69 - PR70. They are in the thousands of dollars.

Q

posted Hide Post
Here's a link to Davids Posting;

I will purchase at 90% of market price for clean scrap for 18, 14, and 10kt. More than 90% if it's higher than 18kt.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...910050124#1910050124

image representative of potential gold value not actual gold value. all scenes whether actual or created depict authenticated fact.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

Yeah, unfortunately they have to feed their kids too.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can get spot for it locally, that's a pretty fair price. Saves you the cost of shopping ans the risks that go with that. and no delay in getting your funds. Unless as noted you think it may grade PR70 or PR69. Need the cash now ? If not I'd just hold it.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've always questioned buying physical metals.
Unless you are speculating on the value of a "collectable" ~ something not solely based on the Gold/Silver/Metal spot price then why not just buy the same on an Index Fund?
Seems to me that there is too much overhead on buying bullion and coins at least in the short term.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I'd love to help, if they are proof set, I'd be a buyer of 95% of gold. My email is David@mimisjewelryinc.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, you all, for the help!

Dave - I've sent an e-mail your way.

posted Hide Post
The early American Eagles are worth a lot more than spot price. Some of you don't want to believe it but older bullion coins have collector value. Call Apmex and Provident Metals for a quote on what they will pay you.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

Kind of like guns? Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post