SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Braunschweiger sandwiches
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braunschweiger sandwiches Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

My supper will feature two braunschweiger sandwiches on baked-in-Germany Westphalian pumpernickel, with mustard, raw onion, and black pepper. Can hardly wait!

ich liebe Braunschweiger sammichen ! Big Grin

Where's the like button and please post photos !

So good to not be alone - love this place Smile

Ich liebe auch!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Braunschweiger on warm pumpernickel, with mayo, mustard, and raw sweet onion are one of my all time favs. Sweet pickles and German red cabbage salad on the side. YUM!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't had Braunschweiger in several decades. Oddly enough, it was the English side of my family not the German side of the family that liked Braunschweiger.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are lucky to have an old fashioned butcher shop in town. After a buffalo harvest this fall I put 50 lbs of bison braunschweiger in the freezer. Great gifts (for people who like it). Guide lunches and a local caterer uses it at high end dinners. Bison pate!

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
You forgot the weissbier.

I like lagers, so had a Stiegl Gold (Goldbräu in Austria). I get it 0.5 l (16.9 oz) cans – about the right size for a beer, IMO. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I grew up on them with Horseradish mustard on rye bread!

If you haven't tried it, you need to track down some smoked liverwurst from Patak (near Hiram/Dallas). A few places in ATL carry it. That stuff is like heaven.

Posts: 36 | Location: GA | Registered: June 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Father loved Braunschweiger sandwiches.

On fresh baked, still-warm pumpernickel toast.

With mayonnaise, yellow stone-ground mustard, and shredded warm, yellow onions.

Washed down with coffee and Johnny Walter Red. Lots of Johnny Walter Red.

Holy Mother of God.

Yes, I ate that shit.

Only to be closer to Father.

I hated every bite.

I'd rather eat Indian uber-melt-your balls-off hot curry (this is today's dinner, which may melt my laptop screen) rather than take one more bite of Braunschweiger.
as I eat it).

Father... WTF were you thinking?

I learned to love scrapple (in all its forms) among a shitload of other offal recipes.

I came to a place of peace with Braunschweiger.

Why did you decide to engage is Global Thermo-Braunschweiger warfare with me, your only male heir?

Well, in spite of your terrible battle plan, we survived.

Because giving in, no matter the impact to my liver, stomach, and other entrails voicing my physiological objections, once per year I eat that offal in memory of you.

You suck, sort of.

There’ll never be anything like this in the MSM.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

My supper will feature two braunschweiger sandwiches on baked-in-Germany Westphalian pumpernickel, with mustard, raw onion, and black pepper. Can hardly wait!

ich liebe Braunschweiger sammichen ! Big Grin

Where's the like button and please post photos !

So good to not be alone - love this place Smile

Ja!
Gib es mir!
JETZT!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I avoid bread, but I like Braunschweiger smeared on celery.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Years ago, when I lived in NYC, we used to wind up our Friday evenings at McSorley's tavern. Old, old, establishment, no women allowed at the time (that has since changed). Mugs of ale, two for thirty-five cents. Buck and a half would buy a large platter of liverwurst, limburger cheese, onion slices, and bread (rye or pumpernickel). Those were the days!

Took my son to McSorely's when he turned 21, same as my old man did when I turned 18. Hasn't much changed over the years. Still two smallish mugs of light or dark. And a platter of meat, cheese, onions and bread. It was great.
It was also the last stop of a day long pub crawl, and I was pretty well lubricated by the time we got there, as were all of his uncle's that came with us. Great time had by all.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've eaten it with crackers, and don't care for it. I thought it would taste like fleischkaese, that I had eaten in Germany, it was way to rich tasting for me. I guess that's how its supposed to taste,

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
My family in Chicago called it liver sausage.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Bravo. I prefer mine with the obligatory 1”slice of onion and tomato. Brown mustard on one piece of bread and mayo on the other. Throw in some lettuce and a good pickle on the side.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Years ago, when I lived in NYC, we used to wind up our Friday evenings at McSorley's tavern. Old, old, establishment, no women allowed at the time (that has since changed). Mugs of ale, two for thirty-five cents. Buck and a half would buy a large platter of liverwurst, limburger cheese, onion slices, and bread (rye or pumpernickel). Those were the days!

Took my son to McSorely's when he turned 21, same as my old man did when I turned 18. Hasn't much changed over the years. Still two smallish mugs of light or dark. And a platter of meat, cheese, onions and bread. It was great.
It was also the last stop of a day long pub crawl, and I was pretty well lubricated by the time we got there, as were all of his uncle's that came with us. Great time had by all.

My last trip to NYC had a stop for light and darks at McSorleys, great time.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I like to make it open faced and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes before adding the adornments.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We eat on crackers here with mustard. I've never had it on a sandwich before, but I think my grandmother would eat it on pumpernickel toast sometimes (still my favorite). She was first generation (Czech) and my Grandfather was first generation (Germany).

I haven't eaten it in years but this thread is making me want some just to see if it's what I remember. Not terrible but not something I would run out to buy either.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
On rye or pumpernickle, with onion, mustard, and a sharp cheddar.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
We eat on crackers here

This.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That's some good stuff. Back when I was a bachelor and living by myself I ate a lot of that but we called liverwurst. I liked to pan fry some to eat with runny eggs late night after being out on the town, or put on Russian rye with mustard. Or smash it up and eat it like a chip dip while I watch some odd tv show and drank some dark beer. Good ol days.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Braunschweiger

Yummy!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post