SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Braunschweiger sandwiches
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braunschweiger sandwiches Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
At my local market today I asked the clerk to cut four slices of braunschweiger for me. “We only have liverwurst,” she said. I had her come to the glass-front display case to see sausage plainly marked “Braunschweiger” on its wrapping. “Well, we call it liverwurst,” she said.

Whatever. I bought four slices. My supper will feature two braunschweiger sandwiches on baked-in-Germany Westphalian pumpernickel, with mustard, raw onion, and black pepper. Can hardly wait!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
One inch thick slices of onion.

And the mustard? Brown.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
And a few sliced dill pickles with the onion and brown mustard.

Yum, now I'm hungry.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Yummmmm.

Braunschweiger and liverwurst are interchangeable terms.

Enjoy!

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Yummmmm.

Braunschweiger and liverwurst are interchangeable terms.

Enjoy!

“Braunschweiger is generally smoked - but liver sausage generally is not, however, Although they are pretty close to each other, Braunschweiger gets its name from a town in Germany called Braunschweig. While liver sausage is a more generic term used to describe many different types of liver based sausages.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
But the onion has to be a Walla Walla Sweet!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man, that sounds good. Been a minute since I've made one of those.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As it is written, "the bologna is bad, but the liver is wurst."

Sorry.

I have a story similar to the original post. I wanted to pick up a bit of paté for this past New Year's Eve. The local Publix has a refrigerator case, near the big deli counter, that usually has some good cheeses, and a couple different types of paté, usually a truffle type, and maybe one with peppercorns, maybe one or two other types.

I could not find any in the case. I went to the deli counter, asked for the deli manager to see if s/he could help me.

"Manager's not here right now, can I do something for you?"

"I hope so, I'm looking for some paté, but I don't see any over in that case (pointing) where you usually keep it."

"Oh," replied deli-boy, "It's right here in the deli case, right in front of you." He stood there, waiting to take my order,

I looked and looked, could not see any paté, asked him to point it out for me. Yup, he was indicating the Braunschweig / liverwurst.

Not quite the same.

I do enjoy liverwurst, thick slice of onion, deli mustard, on rye.
Years ago, when I lived in NYC, we used to wind up our Friday evenings at McSorley's tavern. Old, old, establishment, no women allowed at the time (that has since changed). Mugs of ale, two for thirty-five cents. Buck and a half would buy a large platter of liverwurst, limburger cheese, onion slices, and bread (rye or pumpernickel). Those were the days!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You forgot the weissbier.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes please, and seconds if I can! And I agree on the weissbier!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I am hoisting a Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen in your honor tonight. I haven't had a braunschweiger sammich in a long time.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I love me some Braunschweiger!!!! MMMMMMMmmmmmmm

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Oh that's the wurst! I love it like other a nice slice of crisp raw onion on Russian Rye! hmmmmmm

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Yep, good stuff. Ate a lot of it when I was a kid. Every now and then we get some and enjoy. As a previous poster mentioned, good with pickles.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I grew up on them with Horseradish mustard on rye bread!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love braunschweiger, not really a fan of liver wurst, I presume it’s the smoked flavoring.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Father loved Braunschweiger sandwiches.

On fresh baked, still-warm pumpernickel toast.

With mayonnaise, yellow stone-ground mustard, and shredded warm, yellow onions.

Washed down with coffee and Johnny Walter Red. Lots of Johnny Walter Red.

Holy Mother of God.

Yes, I ate that shit.

Only to be closer to Father.

I hated every bite.

I'd rather eat Indian uber-melt-your balls-off hot curry (this is today's dinner, which may melt my laptop screen) rather than take one more bite of Braunschweiger.
as I eat it).

Father... WTF were you thinking?

I learned to love scrapple (in all its forms) among a shitload of other offal recipes.

I came to a place of peace with Braunschweiger.

Why did you decide to engage is Global Thermo-Braunschweiger warfare with me, your only male heir?

Well, in spite of your terrible battle plan, we survived.

Because giving in, no matter the impact to my liver, stomach, and other entrails voicing my physiological objections, once per year I eat that offal in memory of you.

You suck, sort of.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Lightly toasted pump, no onions, mustard on one slice, mayonaisse on the other; pickles or peperoncini on the side! Also good on Ritz crackers.

A story. About five years ago a female kitten, maybe 8 months old, showed up at my apt building. My side caught the afternoon sun and she liked that. Her coloring was brown with patches of white and orange. She had black 'cleopatra eyebrows'. I had braunschweiger in the fridge so I fed her that. Named her Braunie. I thought of taking her in but a friend of my sister adopted her. Danged lucky cat lives like a queen now. Saved by braunschweiger.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

My supper will feature two braunschweiger sandwiches on baked-in-Germany Westphalian pumpernickel, with mustard, raw onion, and black pepper. Can hardly wait!

ich liebe Braunschweiger sammichen ! Big Grin

Where's the like button and please post photos !

So good to not be alone - love this place Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh, man! I loved Braunschweiger sandwiches growing up. My mother used to make them all the time. Can't remember last time I had one.

I think I have to check out a deli now.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post