SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are the local gunshops/ffls in your area doing.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are the local gunshops/ffls in your area doing. Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nobody closing locally, and pawn stores are still charging high retail with guns that sit around (granted they have other income coming in).

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. It is good to see how the idustry is doing in this buisness climate.

I agree that the obama panic has created a lul. I am not sure if the recent changes in oregon, washington in Arizona are enough to drive gun sales up nationally.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
As a former VA Arms employee, and part of the family, thank you for your sentiments. I don’t think Bernie will miss the work, but he will miss the people. Virginia Arms was like a second home for me, and even though I hadn’t worked a shift in...God, 7 years? Almost 8. It still felt like losing a friend..

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
My favorite gun store, Virginia Arms, just closed.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Modern Day Savage,

Do you remember what they were asking for the Olympic Glock?

Posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
Modern Day Savage,

It was at the bottom of the display case and, as my back was bothering me and I wasn't interested in it, I didn't eyeball it too closely. I started to take a picture of it but at that angle with glass reflections it would've been a poor quality pic...and I noticed the store had a posted policy about no pictures allowed without prior management approval.

I believe it was listed for somewhere in the $700-$750 range, but can't recall exactly.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
honestly don't see how most of them stay open, all the ones aroung here in Eugene Oregon are terrible they just never have even the basic stuff like night sights and the things they do have are full retail plus. forget about them having any of the latest guns so many either never heard of a gen 5 glock 45 or have zero 365 sigs. I just buy most of my stuff on line just got tired of going in and asking for something they will never stock.

I was in the out skirts of Seattle last year an found an amazing little mom and pop store that was so well equipped it seemed like a dream. I bought a bunch of stuff from him.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
By the looks of things I would have to say pretty good. They have done a fair bit of remodeling, inventory is good. The help seems pretty happy and busy as well.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
We had eight solid years of panic buying. Everyone who wants a gun has five by now.

We might need to put Obama back in office just to prop up the gun business.
Big Grin

Then the NRA-ILA can get their horror writers to send out spooky letters again. Their penchant for hyperbole is impressive.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
Modern Day Savage,

It was at the bottom of the display case and, as my back was bothering me and I wasn't interested in it, I didn't eyeball it too closely. I started to take a picture of it but at that angle with glass reflections it would've been a poor quality pic...and I noticed the store had a posted policy about no pictures allowed without prior management approval.

I believe it was listed for somewhere in the $700-$750 range, but can't recall exactly.

Thanks MDS

Posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local one near me that's family owned is hurting.
They were booming with Obama and a little into Trump's presidency but they're flat now.
They've been in the same location since I was 12 so they're probably not going anywhere.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We don't have a big retail gun store in this small town, just a local guy who's been there forever. He says his major source of income is in used guns, by which he makes a decent living. He has sold a few for me on consignment. A second source of income (for the past 10-15 years, anyway) is doing transfers from Internet and other sources of sales that are transferred in. It's a great homey shop in downtown that is a good spot for coffee, donuts, and BS. Lots of local hangers-out there just for that purpose. There are also a very few local FFL licensees locally who work out of their homes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I dropped by my local shop yesterday.
The "regulars" were still there, hanging around and BSing, the owner was working on an old rifle, just like normal. Inventory was WAY down, though.

I started to buy a used 1187... Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
Northern CA in my area near Sacramento this year I know of two 3 Gun shops that have closed. It's horrible here for local FFLs.
But the fight continues.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
A major dealer in Loveland Colorado, Jensens, is closing its doors. I believe their last day is tomorrow. The last time I was in there was 6 months ago, they had very few firearms. Nothing like they had a year or two back. I do not why this happened. Sad to see them go.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A LGS just opened a new store. They had a small but well stocked shop for many years. The new store they built is something else. It has three indoor ranges; a 25 yard, a 50 yard, and a 100 yard. They have a very large gun sales/display area, and outdoor clothing area on upper level. Also has a restaurant/lounge overlooking one of the ranges and a barbershop. At a time when most gun shops are getting smaller or closing, this place is going big. Very nice place, I hope they make it.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
A LGS just opened a new store. They had a small but well stocked shop for many years. The new store they built is something else. It has three indoor ranges; a 25 yard, a 50 yard, and a 100 yard. They have a very large gun sales/display area, and outdoor clothing area on upper level. Also has a restaurant/lounge overlooking one of the ranges and a barbershop. At a time when most gun shops are getting smaller or closing, this place is going big. Very nice place, I hope they make it.
Rod

You gotta be talking about the shop in New Hudson. Also notable is the shop in Ann Arbor recently moved to a new, larger location and added an indoor range and a brand new shop opened in Howell, also with an indoor range. All of this activity has been within the last several years. All in all, I'd say the LGS in this area of Michigan are doing OK.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post