SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fuel computers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel computers Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
For those members who've taken the time to check, what % was your fuel computer off? I'd say + or - but I seriously doubt the computer showed more MPG than doing it the old fashioned way.

My question is by how much!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee was about 1 MPG off from what the fuel computer said.

I usually got 23 MPG highway, it said 24 MPG. So it was fairly close.

My Crown Vic is about 3 MPG off. It will say I'm getting 24 MPG highway but I'll be getting 21 MPG.

Most of what I have seen they usually say that you are getting better than what you are.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Huh, never thought to check. Then again, the car that has it averages 16 MPG so you could say I'm indifferent to fuel economy. I know, about as helpful as a DMV clerk...

I would guess the more consistent your driving and commute is, the more accurate it will be.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Corolla is stupid accurate.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ford Expedition 2008 is about 99% accurate.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have never paid attention, never looked, never calculated.
I just pull on in the closest Shell when I am getting close to a quarter tank or Sunday night no matter how much it needs so my wife has a full tank for taking the kiddos to school.
I just slide the card and be done. I don't even bother looking at the price. I do get my receipt just in case I get bad fuel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've never calculated the per centage, but I do know the Corolla and the Yamaha are decidedly optimistic.

And I'm anal about keeping records of fill-ups and mileage.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I bought a 275 hp SUV without worrying about the mileage and I still don't. I've never looked at the computer readout and I fill up at a half a tank unless on a road trip.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They would have to have two flow meters with one for the input and one for the flow back to the tank. So the accuracy of the meters would be in question and also don't forget the odometer and your size of tires.

How many people check their odometer reading? I have found that they can be off as much as 2 to 3 percent just with factory tires.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2015 VW Gold TDI was 1.5 miles off at 500 miles, when compared to GPS highway miles traveled.

2015 BMW R1200R is 1 mile off at 250 highway miles traveled via GPS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2013 Nissian Pathfinder is 3-4 MPG pessimistic reads 19.2 and gets 22 to 23 MPG. I check it against mileage every fill. And GPS seems to be right on for mileage so odometer and speedometer are right on.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
2012 Ford fusion. Pretty darn accurate. I stopped checking after first few months it was so close.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Trax (shopping cart with tiny turbo motor) is off by about 3 MPG
My BMW S1000XR is dead on MPG but 2 MPH slow on the speedo Vs GPS.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post