SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Composts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Composts? Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
My tomatoes are doing great this year. Sighting in BB gun today to deal with squirrels. The bastards took a beautiful fist sized tomato yesterday.

You got good idea for tomatoes but if you install a corn feeder for the squirrels they will have no need to raid the garden.
Been feed neighborhood squirrels for decades and never had my Squirrels bother a one.
Birds are a whole new chapter.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I get leaf compost from the Fairfax County Dump. Several weeks ago, they still had some left. They grind it up so it breaks down faster.

I used horse manure years ago but stopped after learning all the drugs that are used on horses. Even the sewer slug fertilizer put out by Milorganite can have heavy metals.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Every time we acquire a yard or 2 of various 'soil amendments' from a couple local compost companies, or even local and haul our own fresh OR aged manure, we get a crop of fresh weeds of different varieties than we are used to.

Over the Years we've tried everything from alpaca to mink/rabbit/horse/cow/llama/sheep/chicken/mint/mushroom/secret sauce.....

Best for our use has been well aged chicken nugglettes.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
My tomatoes are doing great this year. Sighting in BB gun today to deal with squirrels. The bastards took a beautiful fist sized tomato yesterday.

You got good idea for tomatoes but if you install a corn feeder for the squirrels they will have no need to raid the garden.
Been feed neighborhood squirrels for decades and never had my Squirrels bother a one.
Birds are a whole new chapter.

Lost five more tomatoes since yesterday, including the best looking one I had that was almost the size of a grapefruit. I'm killing everyone of these assholes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Just leaves.
It drives me nuts to see my neighbors putting out tons of plastic or paper bags full of leaves in the fall for the trash pickup.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Just leaves. It drives me nuts to see my neighbors putting out tons of plastic or paper bags full of leaves in the fall for the trash pickup.

Ask them if you can have them. Black Gold. Smile Then grind them up for faster composting.

If you live close to the Fairfax County Dump at 4618 West Ox Road, just drive over and load your pickup or trash cans with the compost.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK, based on the comments about my first idea for a bin being a PITA to turn the pile regularly, I'm now looking at this one which seems to have very good reviews everywhere and sort of rolls/tumbles but in a different design than all the others.

The size of this one would work well for me and I have a good spot at the end of my yard, but the only issue is that it would be in direct sunlight, no shade. Would this be an issue? I don't really want to be doing a free pile as our yards are very small and we are close to our neighbors on each side, don't want to be having odor or critter issues.

Compost Wizard Jr:

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Composting? No, but I once went nearly two weeks without a shower.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post