SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What should I expect to pay for a Tacoma?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I expect to pay for a Tacoma? Login/Join 
posted
End of the year and 18 models just dropping leads me to think I could probably get a good deal on a 17 Tacoma right now. I've also heard dealers don't really deal, because they don't have to on them.

Do all Tacoma's come thru with the long list of dealer add on BS. Steps, covers, mud flaps, floor mats, paint protection film, door edge guards, etc were on about every truck my local guy has.
Is $30k doable, paying cash with no trade? Access cab trd Sport manual no tech package 4x4.
Also, can I negotiate from Supplier pricing, or is that just a set # and I'd do better on my own.

Sorry for the dumb questions. I have bought 1 car on my own, was 12 years ago off an individual and I paid what they were asking (below market). No experience with dealerships. Inherited my current truck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds doable. I paid ~32k for my ‘16 TRD-OR access cab 4x4 w/tech package back in 2016.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about price, but the manuals can be hard to find I believe.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
End of the year and 18 models just dropping leads me to think I could probably get a good deal on a 17 Tacoma right now. I've also heard dealers don't really deal, because they don't have to on them.

Is $30k doable, paying cash with no trade? Access cab trd Sport manual no tech package 4x4.

If they still HAVE 2017s then they HAVE to deal on them!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try going to tacomaworld and searching on price checks, that is one of the few other sites I visit for information. When I bought my truck it was a great resource

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very hard time finding a 4wd manual when I was searching. In ended up driving 60 miles to find one. It was in '09 so pricing isn't relevant.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My "local" dealer had 6 2017s on the lot as of Wednesday. The Only manual was a TRD OR CCSB in Orange. Not just no, HELLS NO...
STICKER is like $34K with transport fee, before all the dealer BS, on what I'm looking for.
I have been reading tacomaworld some lately, but more for mods & what's new for 2018 threads. I will search some of the pricing stuff as well.
Honestly, if I can't get what I think is an exceptional deal on a 17 that is close to what I want, I will prob just order an 18 how I want it.
Dealer told me about 3 weeks ago he could get me what I wanted brought in, but I wanted to wait to see the 18s.

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As your finding and others have noted, manual trans are hard to find. If a dealer gets one on the lot, it's likely gone pretty quickly.

At this point, unless you need a vehicle quickly, waiting on the 2018 would probably be best. Tacomas hold their value pretty well, but you'd be giving up a model year going with the 2017 which will impact that a little down the line if that's important to you.

I bought my 2012 in March of that year and bought one off of the lot. A TRD Sport with everything except the navigation package and at that time I was able to negotiate a little against the sticker price. I got what I thought was a good deal. Once you start asking for specifics like manual trans, limited tech (which is going to come on the TRD series anyway) etc and want the dealer to order or bring in from another dealer, your bargaining power goes down.

I guess the saving grace on having to pay close to sticker on a Tacoma is that in a year or two it will have a street price pretty close to what you paid for it. Can't say that about many other vehicles.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regards to 'add-ons' yes - that seems to me to be pretty common nowadays.

They kinda lure you in with a base price and then you find out the one you like has nitrogen filled tires, added window tint, step bumpers, paint protectant package, etc etc.

Just research a good price and stick with it. You may have to be flexible on some features.

There aren't 'crazy low' prices to be had on Tacomas IME because of a variety of factors. But as stated above - the resale value on them tends to be pretty solid. I just sold a 2001 2WD V6 for $6,800. Thats pretty solid re-sale IMO for an almost 17 year old truck with 140K miles on it (had been in a wreck also which I disclosed to the buyer...)

My area is showing 0% financing so factor that in as a bonus for buying a 2017 now. No need to pay cash if the money factor is ZERO. Toyota doesn't typically have massive incentives like you hear about with Ford and GM.

Lastly - you have to factor in the local market when you compare prices. There may be 10 competitive dealerships in Dallas - but maybe in your area there are only 2, maybe only 1.

So the ability to compare prices on an on-line forum may not be realistic. Regional offers / incentives vary also.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 dealers I am aware of within a 80 mile radius. I have only checked the one, as I go thru that town weekly.
I drove my last truck for 11 years, hope to keep this one as long. Resale is not a big factor. They are usually scrap when I quit driving them. Lots of salt and I hate washing & waxing.

posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 ORDC 6M. All my local dealers wanted sticker + 1000 to 5000 and would help me order what I wanted. That was a bad joke. I went online and found a dealer maybe 40 miles away that the internet salesman wasn’t 23 and was willing to help me. I told him I was willing to wait for months for a special order. He got me color and options and manual trans that I wanted. And we waited I picked it up the day it came in off the transport. Paid sticker minus 1000. Based on my research I thought that very vey fair.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjtnova:
Try going to tacomaworld and searching on price checks, that is one of the few other sites I visit for information. When I bought my truck it was a great resource

^^^^^This, plus one and then some. Great site. I stumbled upon a '96 4x4 this spring and found a lot of help there for several initial issues. You will like the site and will use it before and after purchase. If you're really into trucks, Tacomas in particular, you'll find yourself checking in just to see what people are talking about.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
My son just bought a 17' OR, used NFCU buying service and paid a couple of K below sticker.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MT Tacoma’s are only about 10-15% of total production. My understanding is they are only made once per quarter

Easiest way is to have a dealer request one within their allocation. That way you can spec it out with what you want. Depending on your location the regionals. Southeast Toyota (SET), Gulf States (GST) etc often tack on a bunch of port stuff for profit. When you order one all this nonsense can be stopped by a Sales Manager paying attention and deleting them off an order

It took me 5.5mths to get my MT. Though it was already an extremely limited production within the Pro’s. About 5%. Which means I have 1 of maybe 120 produced for MY17

Pricing is tough since they sell every one that’s made at close to MSRP. They won’t touch anything within the 3% holdback. Possible can negotiate the $995 destination by paying attention to original invoice in fine print it says this charge is included in MSRP so when it on final sticker it’s really a double charge and pure profit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
MT Tacoma’s are only about 10-15% of total production. My understanding is they are only made once per quarter

Easiest way is to have a dealer request one within their allocation. That way you can spec it out with what you want. Depending on your location the regionals. Southeast Toyota (SET), Gulf States (GST) etc often tack on a bunch of port stuff for profit. When you order one all this nonsense can be stopped by a Sales Manager paying attention and deleting them off an order

It took me 5.5mths to get my MT. Though it was already an extremely limited production within the Pro’s. About 5%. Which means I have 1 of maybe 120 produced for MY17

Pricing is tough since they sell every one that’s made at close to MSRP. They won’t touch anything within the 3% holdback. Possible can negotiate the $995 destination by paying attention to original invoice in fine print it says this charge is included in MSRP so when it on final sticker it’s really a double charge and pure profit

I worked for Jim Moran (owner of the Southeast Toyota distributorship) back in 2003. Back then, he told me he made $600 profit off of every single Toyota he imported......think about that for a minute......LOLOLOL No wonder why at the time he had a 160' yacht, 172' yacht, and 3 55-65' yachts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I suspect getting one near $30k is going to pretty tough.

Also getting one in a manual. Their auto with the manual shifter function is about is close as it will come.

I would take the $30k plus and buy a lightly used certified almost new Tundra myself. A lot closer to a "real" truck than a pretender. Not that Tacoma's are not good rigs. But as far as an actunal truck. No so much.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im just driving it to work. A pretender is fine for my purposes. About all I'll haul is my atv & I won't tow a trailer.

Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I suspect getting one near $30k is going to pretty tough.

Also getting one in a manual. Their auto with the manual shifter function is about is close as it will come.

I would take the $30k plus and buy a lightly used certified almost new Tundra myself. A lot closer to a "real" truck than a pretender. Not that Tacoma's are not good rigs. But as far as an actunal truck. No so much.

I feel so ashamed that I drive a pretender. Please take my man card.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purchasing a Toyota can get interesting when you are looking for their "unicorns". By unicorns I mean their rarely produced stuff. We had hell buying ours. The good thing is you know what you want. You can use the web based car finder services, think cars.com. Find the dealers that have the model you want and then email them directly not through the car finder website. This search will most likely require you to use multiple states. It's a lot of work but you can do it from the house. Also you always want to be in contact with the internet sales department. Some of these dealers are much better at this game than others.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
friend of mine just bought a 16 with 3000 miles for 28k

Posts: 29 | Registered: March 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post