SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seasoning a wok
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seasoning a wok Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I dug up my old wok and it was a bit rusty so I sanded out the rust and cleaned it. It was never properly seasoned before which explains the rust. I gave it a go today. The seasoning looks drippy but the surface does seem non-stick.

Is this acceptable?

I charred up some green onions to make sure it didn't have a metallic taste and it felt like the seasoning was doing its job properly.

I imagine it will get better as I use it but I just want to know if I'm making a mistake by not doing it over.

Thanks.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That looks like the protective coating was never burned off. It’s hell to remove. I had to use a MAP gas torch.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't say whether that's the beginnings of a season, or what Oz said.

Cook in it regularly and on the highest heat you can generate. My 35 year old wok is cast iron black on the inside everywhere except the top edges. You'll get there. Smile

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
That looks like the protective coating was never burned off. It’s hell to remove. I had to use a MAP gas torch.
The rust had pitted the surface and I sanded it pretty well with 120 grit. I would hope any protective coating is gone. Think it's ok to just use it?

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of oil did you season it with. That looks like my paella pan the first time i tried to season it. To much of the wrong oil. Light coat. High heat. Use a quality high temp oil.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
What kind of oil did you season it with. That looks like my paella pan the first time i tried to season it. To much of the wrong oil. Light coat. High heat. Use a quality high temp oil.
Olive oil

Sanded, brillo, washed with Dawn, dried, coated, oven @ 425° for 25 minutes, cooked green onions until charred, wiped clean.

posted Hide Post
Olive oil is the issue. It burns at 375. You shoulf be in the +- 500 range.
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com...o/oilsmokepoints.htm

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You need a lot more heat than that. Also, a really good way to get it started is pop it in the oven coated in oil for the initial seasoning.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
You need a lot more heat than that. Also, a really good way to get it started is pop it in the oven coated in oil for the initial seasoning.
425° in the oven isn't hot enough? That's what is recommended according to what I've seen.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good info!

So, should I redo it or just cook in it and let the seasoning happen naturally?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Good info!

So, should I redo it or just cook in it and let the seasoning happen naturally?

Yes by all means, use a bit of doc bonner tea tree oil soap to remove the burnt olive oil. The choose a high grade hi temp food oil. I have always done the 400 in the oven also. In your case only thin film, let cool, repeat.

Burnt olive oil has some pretty icky things in it.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Just say no to Olive Oil for such purposes. Olive Oil is for flavor, not cooking, basically.

That chart above will help you find one.

Avocado Oil works well, and can be found in many grocery stores.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
5 spice powder

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
5 spice powder
Cryptic. I like it.

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Several months ago I bought a carbon steel pan from a thread in this forum. I seasoned it with Flaxseed Oil as recommended in a youtube video. Wholly cow! It was a very long process that took a couple of days to complete and I’m here to tell you that once it was seasoned, it became the stickiest pan I’ve ever owned. Hope this isn’t considered a thread hijack, but how would I go about removing all the seasoning I’ve done to the poor thing and reseason with a proper oil?

That chart is very helpful. Bookmarked that page and will probably print it and put it in the kitchen.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Several months ago I bought a carbon steel pan from a thread in this forum. I seasoned it with Flaxseed Oil as recommended in a youtube video. Wholly cow! It was a very long process that took a couple of days to complete and I’m here to tell you that once it was seasoned, it became the stickiest pan I’ve ever owned. Hope this isn’t considered a thread hijack, but how would I go about removing all the seasoning I’ve done to the poor thing and reseason with a proper oil?

That chart is very helpful. Bookmarked that page and will probably print it and put it in the kitchen.

Use the doc bonners tea tree oil soap i mentioned above. Soak it over night. Thin oil coat. Put in oven for 20. The use. Coat with thin oil just before use. Cook like you normally would. Wash with water. Dry fully, and put away. Thin coat of oil before use. And repeat.

Storing with excess oil, or seasoning with to much oil will lead to sticky pans, or the photo in the first post. Season it when you get it, then lightly oil before use. Wash and store completely dry.

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use the doc bonners tea tree oil soap i mentioned above. Soak it over night. Thin oil coat. Put in oven for 20. The use. Coat with thin oil just before use. Cook like you normally would. Wash with water. Dry fully, and put away. Thin coat of oil before use. And repeat.

Storing with excess oil, or seasoning with to much oil will lead to sticky pans, or the photo in the first post. Season it when you get it, then lightly oil before use. Wash and store completely dry.

Would Dawn do the same job? What is the advantage to Dr Bronner's Tea Tree Soap?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tea tree oil breaks down burnt oils on pans, cookie trays, baking sheets, etc.

Dawn is not any where near as effective.

Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
My wife's grandma saw a perfectly seasoned wok and decided to scrub that dirty pan til it was shiny again! Dang. :0

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post