SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    pex pluming pipe and water hammer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pex pluming pipe and water hammer Login/Join 
posted
do you still have to install water hammers at the faucets with pex pipe?
and do you use the pex for the water hammers?
like you did the old copper lines?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Almost all plumbing/hydraulic systems benefit from accumulators/arrestors.

It is a "shock absorber" and pex will benefit, but I would use an actual arrestor and not the "cheap" method of adding headroom pipe.

The latter will work, but the arrestors with a piston are designed specifically for the job.

The cost of the unit far exceeds the cost of repair and cleanup.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Almost all plumbing/hydraulic systems benefit from accumulators/arrestors.

It is a "shock absorber" and pex will benefit, but I would use an actual arrestor and not the "cheap" method of adding headroom pipe.

The latter will work, but the arrestors with a piston are designed specifically for the job.

The cost of the unit far exceeds the cost of repair and cleanup.

I think you got that last line backwards Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
!peY

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Arrestors not necessary w/ PEX per Southern Standard Plumbing Code.
PEX was tested as freeze proof piping as it swells with the freeze and then retains its shape. The crimp rings deform with the swelling and stay deformed and leaking.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This will likely end up as a IBTL/Popcorn thread....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
You can find Water Hammer at your local True Value Hardware. Usually right next to where they store the shore line and smoke benders.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Arrestors not necessary w/ PEX per Southern Standard Plumbing Code.
PEX was tested as freeze proof piping as it swells with the freeze and then retains its shape. The crimp rings deform with the swelling and stay deformed and leaking.

I have seen this happen several times.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:

Solution, Wirsbo.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post