SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scientists discover Time Crystals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientists discover Time Crystals Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Link: http://www.popularmechanics.co...24957/time-crystals/

Crystals are structures in which a pattern of atoms or molecules repeats in space. Now, two teams of researchers have figured out that crystals' repeating patterns can also exist through time. These "time crystals," detailed in a new paper in Physical Review Letter, are an entirely new kind of matter, one that can never reach equilibrium.

To create the time crystals, researchers at University of Maryland hooked together 10 ytterbium atoms and hit them with two lasers multiple times to keep them out of equilibrium. Though the atoms did settle into a pattern, they could not reach equilibrium, meaning that the crystals perpetually remain in motion, though they don't contain any energy. Almost all of physics is based in studying matter that is at equilibrium, so the ability to create these non-equilibrium crystals is a huge deal for the future of physics.

The researchers say that time crystals resemble Jell-O. When you tap Jell-O, it jiggles. The only difference is that the crystals are jiggling without using any energy, without any tap. By definition, time crystals can never stop oscillating, no matter how little energy they contain.

Right now, it's unclear what the practical use of this discovery will be, but it's possible that these crystals could serve a function in quantum computers.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Does this mean Timecube is real?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
WTF?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
^^^^^^
WTF?

WTF to the time crystals, or WTF to TimeCube?

If you're not familiar with TimeCube, you had better get to studying. I'm pretty sure basic familiarity with its concepts is one of the prerequisites listed in the waiver.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I guess I better get studying. Never heard of TimeCube. It hurts my head.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Meh.

I've known about 'em for years!

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you dont do it right, you get synthetic rock candy.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
Don't contain any energy yet are moving?

What?

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
You've been here since 2004 and don't know TimeCube? I'm sorry but I'm going to have to put a red mark in your book.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dilithium crystals are discharging.

In my best Scotty impersonation.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
You've been here since 2004 and don't know TimeCube? I'm sorry but I'm going to have to put a red mark in your book.

Errybody luv TimeCube

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Errybody luv TimeCube
Bettah reconnize!

Seriously, I always like hearing news that brings scifi into the real world. Even when no one knows what it means yet.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Protein anchor:
Don't contain any energy yet are moving?

Do not contain any energy or do not contain any energy they are able to measure? Kind of like the DNA that was "junk DNA" because the scientists didn't know what it's function was?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
TimeCube is far out dude!!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Dr Who beat them again.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Right now, it's unclear what the practical use of this discovery will be

Time travel. Duh.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Cant stop moving yet no energy used/measured, perhaps endless energy. This may explain the nagging from the mouth of my ex. Big Grin

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Looks like I am going to have to trade in the way back machine.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I saw this thread title & immediately thought of the Sleestacks Crystals !!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post