SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you travel to stand with Our Virginia Brethren?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you travel to stand with Our Virginia Brethren? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Back to it.

We each, where we live, need to vote and be vocal. I think one of the main things I do in my locale, is talk calmly and rationally with people. Additionally and more importantly, I'm a functioning, upstanding citizen with a license to carry.

It is an individual choice to "take up arms, go and stand wih our brothers."

There are lots of reasons why someone might choose to go. But for those who would choose not to, it is not "sad." Perhaps they are concerned about their home and family. I don't know about you, but I'll not leave my wife and son behind because someone elses legislature passed shitty laws. Especially not after being told for years either to move, or that it is "my fault" the laws are crap.

These laws may pass in VA, and if they do, should we just treat people in VA with the same bad attitude that CA, MA, and other states get? Maybe that attitude should go away.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
Back to it.

We each, where we live, need to vote and be vocal. I think one of the main things I do in my locale, is talk calmly and rationally with people. Additionally and more importantly, I'm a functioning, upstanding citizen with a license to carry.

It is an individual choice to "take up arms, go and stand wih our brothers."

There are lots of reasons why someone might choose to go. But for those who would choose not to, it is not "sad." Perhaps they are concerned about their home and family. I don't know about you, but I'll not leave my wife and son behind because someone elses legislature passed shitty laws. Especially not after being told for years either to move, or that it is "my fault" the laws are crap.

These laws may pass in VA, and if they do, should we just treat people in VA with the same bad attitude that CA, MA, and other states get? Maybe that attitude should go away.

Bingo.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a hell of a wake up call when the draconian gun laws you see in more liberal locales are proposed and likely to pass in your neck of the woods. It sucks but Arc is absolutely right we shouldn’t be taking it out on each other here. We should save our energy and anger for those who actually deserve it. I want to go to lobby day. I’ve never wanted to go to a political event more in my life. My family and the fact that my wife and I will be having a baby a few days before lobby day means I won’t be able to make it. The timing sucks but it is what it is. I may not be able to travel to VA but I do support my friends and fellow 2A enthusiasts there and I will continue to raise awareness to what is happening to my friends in the Old Dominion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I may not be able to travel to VA but I do support my friends and fellow 2A enthusiasts there and I will continue to raise awareness to what is happening to my friends in the Old Dominion.

And we appreciate it. Thank you.

I've said it before: NOW is the time to stand together and let our voices be heard in Richmond and NoVa, both individually and collectively.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
We each, where we live, need to vote and be vocal. I think one of the main things I do in my locale, is talk calmly and rationally with people.
+1

I live in a free state with an influx of people moving here from the restricted states. I talk rationally and calmly with them and then in most cases (exception being d-bags and true Kool-Aid drinkers) offer to take them shooting. IMO, we need to be expanding our ranks with new shooters which hopefully become awakened voters.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
There is one very significant difference in what is happening in VA; The actual County governments-almost all of them-are telling the VA State government to basically go fuck itself where new gun laws are concerned.

They are passing legislation, and taking a stand against gun rights encroachment unlike anything I've ever seen.

ASG asked where everyone was when CA, NY, NJ, WA, OR, etc. was passing their infringing bullshit.

So let me ask this in return; is there now, or was there ever, even a single County in any of those states following the VA lead? Did a single County Commissioner, Sheriff or County Attorney say "no, we won't enforce these new, unconstitutional restrictions"? Are there today, any Sheriff's ordering their troops not to arrest, or County Attorney's refusing to prosecute citizen's being charged under the new, restrictive gun laws?

No, I agree with Arc and ASG, it's probably not going to come to shooting anytime soon, if at all. And we will see how VA plays out over the coming months (and probably years) in court rooms and legislative halls.

But just for the sake of discussion, let's say it does go pear-shaped next week. I think people would be far more likely to up-root and go fight in/for a state like VA. with what they are doing, than go to a state like CA, or even OR, or WA, when to this day they have still done nothing.

Nailed it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with Arc, ASG, and Berto. Building on initiatives in the Counties and some cities, litigation is a solid next step. Tie up the administration in the courts. Secondly, in addition to get out the votes for the next election, we should be flooding the house and senate committee members with jurisdiction with our views as well as our specific senators and delegates. Additionally, we need to write letters to the editor of local as well as national newspapers in a calm and rational demeanor regarding the specific reasons we oppose the proposed legislation in order to educate the public. I have done all of the above even though I know my senator and delegate are in the gun control camp. I am a member of VCDL, VSSA, SAF, CCRKBA, NRA. Probably need to join GOA as well. These organizations are at the tip of the spear in this fight.

Lastly, the Virginia constitution has provisions to address the recall and removal of elected officials. Specific criteria are enumerated. If the current laws don’t cover one’s specific situation, then amendments need to be proposed. Other states may have similar provisions in their laws. If not, then changes should be proposed.

My signature element “Dum Spiro Pugno” translates to “While I Breathe I fight.” What this fight needs is persistent and continuous advocacy supporting our constitutional rights.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Was there even a “sanctuary movement” or awareness of such a thing when the west coast started infringing? This is interesting because it takes a play from the leftist playbook (sanctuary cities) and uses it against the progressives.

I wonder just how much the sanctuary city movement for immigration played into the move to create 2A sanctuary cities?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Was there even a “sanctuary movement” or awareness of such a thing when the west coast started infringing? This is interesting because it takes a play from the leftist playbook (sanctuary cities) and uses it against the progressives.

I wonder just how much the sanctuary city movement for immigration played into the move to create 2A sanctuary cities?

The "2a sanctuary city" comes directly from the leftist dodge of illegal immigration enforcement policies. The difference being they were shielding illegals, while a "2a sanctuary" shelters a constitutional right from unjust laws.

If you can't have a 2a sanctuary, you can't have any other kind...

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It would be very bad tactics to put too many assets in the same place. Also, is it really needed to weaken many other vulnerable areas.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
a "2a sanctuary" shelters a constitutional right from unjust laws.

Yet the whiners around my area claim that making our county a "sanctuary county" really means that we'll become a "sanctuary for criminals and gun violence." No kidding.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Just about every sheriff outside of the I-5 corridor has announced they wont be enforcing any of our new gun laws. Right now that doesn't really mean much, since nothing has been banned, yet, but of course Bloomberg's boys, Jay Douche Sock Inslee, and Sideshow Bob Ferguson and the rest of the anti-liberty coalition are going hard this year. Calls for total bans on "assault weapons" (assault weapon being ANY semi-auto thanks to Initiative 1639), magazine bans, background checks for ammo purchases, with limits on the amount you can buy of course. All kinds of fun.

Anyway, to really bear down on it, no, I wouldn't go to Virginia if shooting starts. Not because I'm not a real patriot or whatever, but because if the shit goes down there, I think it could start going down all over the place. Even here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I'm sure many of us have different points of view. I would suggest not getting discouraged by people that dismiss your efforts as "dick-waiving". Their solution is to stand very still with THEIR dick in THEIR hand and do NOTHING. They figure if they stay still long enough and do NOTHING, the government with eventually restrain itself. Nevermind that this logic defies basic human nature.

The reality is that the government, the criminal on the street or whomever will only restrain themselves when confronted with the knowledge that if they do not, then others will step up and do it for them. If that wasn't so, we wouldn't need a military or a police force.

When you have a powerful military, you make sure your adversaries know it. That's one way to avoid the confrontation that no-one wants. Alternatively, if you tell your enemy that you're staying home, you're leading yourself straight into the situation you're desperately trying to avoid.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
We must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately.

So far, we have chosen to hang separately.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
quote:
We must all hang together, or we shall all hang separately.

So far, we have chosen to hang separately.

I believe Virginians are coming together quite nicely. (Finally.)

God bless America.

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, to really bear down on it, no, I wouldn't go to Virginia if shooting starts. Not because I'm not a real patriot or whatever, but because if the shit goes down there, I think it could start going down all over the place. Even here.

Yup.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
We are a nation supposedly governed by the rule of law.

That is what courts are for.

I will donate my voice, membership and money to organizations dedicated to that.

Anything else is mental masturbation at this stage.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s to late for Virginia. Once they allowed DeminRats in the state house it’s over. We in NY rallied and fought and we still got the most restrictive Gun laws in the nation. The Libs get off on their tyrannical ways. Americans beware of what’s coming to your state. Florida, Texas South Carolina and North Carolina are barely hanging by a Republican thread.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
It’s to late for Virginia.

God bless America.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
It’s to late for Virginia. Once they allowed DeminRats in the state house it’s over. We in NY rallied and fought and we still got the most restrictive Gun laws in the nation. The Libs get off on their tyrannical ways. Americans beware of what’s coming to your state. Florida, Texas South Carolina and North Carolina are barely hanging by a Republican thread.

Way to stay positive..

Arc.