SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Can you think of a design that has withstood the ultimate test of time virtually unchanged?

Do you own something that you use daily that was originally manufactured in the 1950’s, 60’s or 70’s that is still being manufactured today? If so what is it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Small block Chevy v-8, basically the same platform, albeit improved with better materials, better manufacturing processes, technology,
but no matter how you tweak it, the Chevy small block changed the car world in 1955...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The 1911, .45acp and the K frame S&W M&P.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Churchkey

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Gillette safety razors. I had one from 1938 I sold and need to replace. I have ones from ‘57, ‘60, ‘70. They’re perfect.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Jockstrap.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Most of my hand tools. Most are newer than that, but the design has been around since at least that far back.

I have a set of Craftsman offset box end wrenches and a Millers Falls hacksaw frame that were my Dads, from the 40's. I also have his Craftsman router from the early 60's, I remember when he bought it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Schrader valve! Patented in 1893. Been used on pneumatic tire stems (and other applications) ever since.

Edited to add --- the Crescent Wrench. This adjustable wrench design was patented in the US/Canada in 1915.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Mauser action, Winchester M70

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Swing Away Can Opener, although I don't use it every day I use it at least 5 times a week. I have been using this brand, made in St Louis MO, from the 70's and still use it.

I just purchased an E Z Duz It can opener, made in Missouri. Have not used it yet.

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Gillette safety razors. I had one from 1938 I sold and need to replace. I have ones from ‘57, ‘60, ‘70. They’re perfect.

On a serious note, absolutely this. This morning I shaved with a 1955 Gillette and I was deciding between that and the 1920 Gillette. True story: The only reason shaving evolved from there, when they already had it perfected, was to keep rights to designs that allowed them to sell proprietary blades.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
pyramids

the arch

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The wheel

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Chopsticks probably go back thousands of years without a design change and are still being used today.

The Great Pyramids themselves aren't going anywhere, but the design has fallen into disuse, so I wouldn't consider them enduring the test of time.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar of soap

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For those of us here who love woodworking, the dovetail joint. It's been cut by hand or by machine forever, and likely always will be one of the cornerstones of fine custom creations. And if you really wanna get into it, inlayed dovetails are gorgeous.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the 1950s? Me! Showing a little wear now, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
toilet paper.

http://www.toiletpaperhistory....vented-toilet-paper/

quote:
In 1871, Seth Wheeler (to some sources Zeth Wheeler) of Albany became the official “inventor” of toilet paper. Seth Wheeler patents rolled and perforated wrapping paper. His Albany Perforated Wrapping Paper Company began selling the first toilet paper on a roll.

Rolled and perforated toilet paper was invented around 1880. In 1879, Thomas Seymour, Edward Irvin and Clarence Wood Scott founded the Scott Paper Company in Philadelphia. Scott brothers came up with the idea of customizing rolls for every merchant-customer they had. They began selling packages of small rolls and stacked sheets. Scott Paper Company began producing toilet paper under its own brand name in 1896. By 1925 Scott Company became the leading toilet paper company in the world.

The first documented use of a roll of toilet paper was in 1882 in New York State.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The mechanical combination safe lock along with most of the key locks of all types out there.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post