SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
toilet paper. . . .

Never thought of that. I wonder what they used before toilet paper.

Don't shake hands with anyone visiting from the 1700's or before....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Air. Water. Earth.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The Wheel...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MICROMETER...

1639 William Gascoigne Scientist & Astronomer developed a "micrometer" to measure distances of objects in outer space.

James Watt 1772 Speculation that he made this device to measure parts.

Henry Maudslay about 1805 "Lord Chancellor" bench top micrometer measuring to the tenths.

Jean-Laurent Palmer, Patented in France, 1848 pocket micrometer.

Joseph Whitworth 1855 "Millionth measuring machine". (Bench top machine)

Laroy Starrett Patent US433311A 1890 for the pocket micrometer that is still used today.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The arch.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Pythagoras' special triangles.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Almost any firearm design can be said to have withstood the test of time. The 1911 is still popular over 100 years later. There have been no serious advances in gun design (not referring to materials or manufacturing methods) since the Walther P-38. The self-contained metallic cartridge has been around since the mid-19th century, the only advance since then being smokeless powder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
For those of us here who love woodworking, the dovetail joint. It's been cut by hand or by machine forever, and likely always will be one of the cornerstones of fine custom creations. And if you really wanna get into it, inlayed dovetails are gorgeous. . . .

I have built almost all the cabinetry in our house. All of the drawers are dovetail front and back. This is the first time I have seen inlay dovetails.

I was going to reply the same.

Oh, and; the microprocessor.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
How about Vise-Grips, and Channellocks?

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 758 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The Rolling Stones.

(sort of)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Chuck Taylor’s?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
How about Vise-Grips, and Channellocks?. .

Those pics could be taken from my garage, a few times.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
toilet paper. . . .

Never thought of that. I wonder what they used before toilet paper.
In the Middle East they still use left hands.

My nominations: ramps, ladders, and stairs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
The 1911, .45acp and the K frame S&W M&P.

I'll second this.

and I'll add --- Beer and Coffee. Tastes the same an my Grandfather drank.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Browning "Tilting Barrel" design still used by the vast majority of semi-automatic handguns.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Crocodiles for sure

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Porsche 911

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Valjoux 7750 watch movement has withstood the test of time. There are a few members here who wear a watch powered by this very movement. Designed in the early 1970’s right before quartz movements rocked the industry.

This design survived corporate orders for its destruction and was back in production by the 1980’s. The Valjoux 7750 is still being made today and continues to be quite popular.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post