SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designs that have withstood the ultimate test...time Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
the chisel

Flint ancestors of the present-day chisel existed as far back as 8000 bc ...
THE KNIFE IS the most important tool ever invented. Five of the 20 most important tools are derived from the knife (the chisel, the lathe, the saw, the scythe and the sword).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
the chisel

THE KNIFE IS the most important tool ever invented. Five of the 20 most important tools are derived from the knife (the chisel, the lathe, the saw, the scythe and the sword).

Wow I like that one!

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The combination square, invented and patented by Laroy S. Starrett in 1878, is still around in its original design, albeit in different sizes and made of several different materials.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
1957 Les Paul Goldtop

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow I like that one!

mrw
Link to larger resolution (properly-named)image. Image courtesy Sandown Forge, hosting by ATB.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
the chisel

Nice, but my vote goes to the spear. Long and pointy at one end.

Use it to throw, and when it gets too short, to stab.

When it gets VERY short, you gots a knife.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
The wheel

I'll be damned. Somebody did re-invent it. Razz

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF7odK55gkI

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
The Boeing B-52 Bomber, built in 1950s and will remain in service till at least 2050.
https://www.popularmechanics.c...fly-until-the-2050s/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gideon Sundback's zipper. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
toilet paper. . . .

Never thought of that. I wonder what they used before toilet paper.

Don't shake hands with anyone visiting from the 1700's or before....

We'd likely be surprised what percent worldwide used toilet paper regularly in 1900.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
The wheel

I'll be damned. Somebody did re-invent it. Razz

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF7odK55gkI
I seem to recall that back in the 1960s or so a Southern Governor backed a bill to make Pi = 3.0000 and it passed into law. Immediately, all the wheels in the state changed into hexagons . . . (Not).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
"Vintage" Coleman cooler.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
the chisel

I agree. I have a replica of a 2500 year old Roman knife. The design fits right in compared to my latest and greatest ZT or Spyderco. Nothing else I can think of has changed so little when it comes to design and materials.

As for living things, dragonflies. Virtually unchanged for tens of millions of years.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The lowly fingernail clipper goes back around 150 years.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
sorry I forgot how to make these smaller....but if you need one it's a BIG problem anyway, eh?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
toilet paper. . . .

Never thought of that. I wonder what they used before toilet paper.

Don't shake hands with anyone visiting from the 1700's or before....

LOL Darth thats funny.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post