SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    pumpkin growing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pumpkin growing question Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
My dear wife decided she wanted a garden. Great! I like fresh veggies. We have two garden "boxes" (a 4x5 foot area with a wooden border. She decided to just use the one for her first "go" at it.

Anyways, she planted the following in ONE garden. A row of Kale, a row of green beans, a row of lettuce, a row of carrots, a row of tomatoes, and a row of pumpkins... but not just any pumpkin, no, award winning 100lb+ pumpkins. Those fuckers are taking over the yard now and I assume we still have 4 months of growing them?

Anyways, my question is can I trim the vines with the flowers and leaves back? They are starting to kill the other plants (it's pretty creepy, somehow they know not to wrap around themselves, and target the other plants). Or will trimming it keep them from producing pumpkins? There's probably 6 of these massive plants

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the attack of the killer pumpkins! Save yourself!!! Eek

Perhaps you know someone with a fast vehicle that can be used to hasten your escape??? Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you can prune it.

Pumpkins vines grow wild if you don't.

It will put off new runners that will fruit.

You really want to prune it to maximize the fruit growth, fewer bigger pumpkins instead of more pumpkins that are runts.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Those flowers will turn in to the pumpkins, so yes, getting rid of those will get rid of the pumpkins themselves. As said by Dusty, you can prune them to maximize size, but you don't want to get rid of them all.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
They should still produce fruit as long as you don't go nuts with the pruning.

http://pumpkinnook.com/howto/vines.htm

4x5? I built my GF a 4x8 garden box last year. Had one row of cucumber plants going the short direction and they nearly took over everything. Had to reroute the vines daily.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can eat the blossoms!

The Germans and Italians stuff and fry them:

Tempura goat cheese and ricotta stuffed pumpkin blossoms
by Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Something from Nothing: Stuffed Pumpkin Blossoms

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You can eat the blossoms!

The Germans and Italians stuff and fry them:

Tempura goat cheese and ricotta stuffed pumpkin blossoms
by Lucy Mercer/A Cook and Her Books

Something from Nothing: Stuffed Pumpkin Blossoms

we went to a french restaurant last weekend and I had them, wasn't a big fan and apparently they're a pain in the ass to cook properly

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We fry the blossoms from yellow squash plants fresh from the garden...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my wife wanted pumpkins too, but I forbade them, but allowed acorn squash instead as I love to eat them. Well we had 6 plants I figured at least a couple would die off... No such luck. Now they're taking over. I'm waiting for them to flower so I know which ones to prune off.

On a side note I love to stuff squash blossoms and bake them. My favorite is pepperoni and mozarella with an egg wash and italian bread crumbs.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
My biggest problem growing pumpkins are leaf fungus, and vine borers. Squash bugs can raise hell too. I only grew sugar pumpkins, but I imagine other varieties get these same problems too.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post