SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Besides running Ethernet cable to a room. Options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Besides running Ethernet cable to a room. Options? Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
What is the next best way to get a good internet connection to an X-Box One?

Wi-Fi signal in Daughter’s room a little weak.

Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
wifi extender.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Bridge with a closer/nearby AP. You connect a non wired AP or range extender that will listen and relay your original wifi source.
There are also small appliances that just need a power socket to do that and finally, there are devices that will use your electrical wiring instead of ethernet. Never seen one but heard of them.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem in the back bedrooms of my house. I put an old router nearby and set it up as a repeater, using DD-WRT.

If you'll Google it, there are a number of step-by-step guides out there. I'm not all that network-savvy, but I was able to easily do it in a few minutes by following the steps I found. (Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact guide that I used.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Best way is to run CAT cable. Next in line would be to use a pair of these powerline adapters.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link...ds=powerline+adapter

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I rent a Verizon wifi extender for $6 a month. Works with my rented router. Plug and play. Preconfigured. No tech experience needed.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a house that is a concrete structure. Wifi signal is very weak between floors. I went to a wifi extender (Netgear) and it helps except I now have four networks 2.4, 5g, 2.4g ext and 5g ext. It doesn't work well moving around the house I have looked at a couple mesh networks such as Google Wifi and will probably change to get rid of the "ext"wifi.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I ended up using Ethernet to Coax adapters to help a room in the basement where wifi signals fear to tread. Got these on Amazon. They create Ethernet over the coax wiring in the house used for cable TV.

I also installed a MoCA POE filter in the cable box on the outside of the house to keep the "MoCA" Ethernet signals from going outside my house. Well, I bought a filter and Time Warner installed it for free because it was a 2 minute job. The cable box on the outside appeared to be locked, but all it was is a 7/16" deep socket to open it.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Move the Wi-Fi closer to center of where the users in house are?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Best way is to run CAT cable. Next in line would be to use a pair of these powerline adapters.

These work really well when running a cable is not an option. I have a couple of them and am happy with it. Direct home run of ethernet would be better but that wasn't possible.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I rent a Verizon wifi extender for $6 a month. Works with my rented router. Plug and play. Preconfigured. No tech experience needed.

Yowzers!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ai...8003.p?skuId=3788003

An airport express is $45 and is cake to setup as an extended.

I lucked out and when my house was built they used all cat5e cable instead of phone lines. I just swapped the ends to cat5 and now have an Ethernet port or 2 in every room. Only things that run on wifi are phones and a tablet.

I don't have a landline but if I wanted one still have tons of jacks that could be spared.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

If I can't run cat 5, my next choice is the powerline adapters. They have been rock solid and fast in my experience.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

I went under the house to pull cable.

Found that the old furnace was shoved pretty much in path that I needed to pull cable. Also the new heater ducting was the larger foil type instead of the older smaller tin tube.

At 61 and a so so back I backed out and will go the powerline system in a week or two.

Thanks again

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post