SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A 13 Year-Old Kid Is Running for Governor of Vermont
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A 13 Year-Old Kid Is Running for Governor of Vermont Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Ethan Sonneborn, age 13, has been running for governor of Vermont since October 2017. By all accounts, this is a very real campaign. Vermont is one of the few states with zero age restrictions on who can run for office. But, his candidacy is garnering new media attention in wake of the Parkland, Florida school shooting. He's now touting more gun control.

According to The Middlebury Campusnewspaper, his message is one of optimism and encouragement for young people to get engaged in politics.

"Ethan Sonneborn, an eighth grade student at Mount Abraham Union Middle School, announced this month his campaign for a spot in Vermont’s 2018 gubernatorial race. Sonneborn, a Democrat, aims to inspire other young people to participate in politics at any level.

“We need to engage young people in the process,” Sonneborn said in an interview."
Furthermore, it appears Sonneborn has been active in politics after he helped repeal a ban on talking during his lunch period.

"Sonneborn has been interested in politics and history for most of his life, after finding a photo of Robert F. Kennedy in an encyclopedia. He was just five years old. He even talked with his kindergarten teacher about becoming president someday.

His interest in politics turned into action in middle school, when he led a peaceful protest against a school ban on talking during his lunch periods. He and his friends held signs and refused to eat until administrators lifted the ban."

But nowadays, Sonneborn is focusing on gun control. His campaign slogan is "Because tomorrow matters" and he hopes that more gun control will help prevent future tragedies, according to NBC 5.

"My generation has been taking an important step in this because we’re the ones were getting shot," Sonneborn said. "This affects us directly and people who say it can’t happen in Vermont, we came this close to it happening in Vermont. It will happen in Vermont if we don’t take action."
He referred to a thwarted school shooting plot discovered last month at Fair Haven Union High School.

The current legislation being debated in Montpelier would raise the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21, limit the capacity of gun magazines, strengthen background checks and ban bump-stocks.
Sonneborn was one of about 2,500 people who participated in the March for our Lives in Montpelier.
He said he would like to see an assault-weapons ban added to Vermont's current bill.

I am not going to sit here and knock a 13 year-old kid for being passionate about politics, even if he is a Democrat. I used to be heavily engaged in politics growing up. Granted I never ran a campaign of any kind except a few student council campaigns. But, politics truly was, and in many ways still is, my passion. At age 13, my favorite activities were listening to Howie Carr on the radio right after school and then Michael Savage in the evenings. Pretty nerdy.

My all time favorite political moments came at two left-wing events. When I was 12, I made a hippie in Kennebunk, Maine miss her bus at an anti-Iraq war rally because I stood debating her for a half hour. That was fun. Then in 2012 during the New Hampshire primaries, I was privy to see an anti-capitalist Occupy Wall Streeter selling paintings to raise money for himself and the "movement." You might say, "Hey, he is engaging in capitalism." I did. His response was, "Whose campaign are you working for?" When I told him I was not working for any campaign, he said, "Oh yeah, then why are you so dressed up?" I was wearing a navy blue sweater from the GAP, khakis, a button down, and boat shoes. If being fresh to death like that is a crime, then lock me up.

So have at it, Ethan Sonneborn. Hopefully your parents prevent you from getting into too much of the ugliness that currently pervades politics. But, you are in Vermont. People are pretty nice there. Maybe your views will change. Maybe not. Good luck.

Link

I guess one advantage is that if he is caught taking a bribe, he won’t be tried as an adult.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Vermont, particularly the Brattleboro area is the mecca for the Birkenstock hippy crowd - they drink their tea with a raised pinkie.

On the whole though, I think this kid just torpedo'd his campaign. He should have stayed away from that item.

Funny thing is, he's not old enough to vote so he can't even vote for himself.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
A 13 Year-Old Kid Is Running for Governor of Vermont

Our country is going nuts. WTF.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Someone who is too young to be entrusted with a motor vehicle on public streets should instead become the highest elected official in the state.

Roll Eyes

Why are we even talking about this?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Didn't Michael Moore just suggest 16 year olds should be able to vote? NAMBLA and paedos have long suggested the age of consent is some sort of human rights corruption. Sexualized kindergarteners? That's happening now. We have so much to learn from the youngsters, huh?

I like the way this is going. Lefties paint themselves in a corner down to the moment of birth and there are no humans younger than that, right?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit like the insane running the asylum!

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

bobbin' and weavin
posted Hide Post
Ah, this is all so......cute. Roll Eyes

Posts: 934 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: October 12, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
After the likes of obama, macron and trudeau people should realize what it takes to be a leader.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NOTHING surprises me any more.

So what difference does it make if that 13 YO gets elected? We had one running the USA for 8 years!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
He will command respected when he shows up for work on his banana seat bicycle wearing the clothes that his mom got him.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
He will forget all about this once he discovers what his Special Purpose is for.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
He will forget all about this once he discovers what his Special Purpose is for.

First he needs to get his name in the phone book.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sonneborn has been interested in politics and history for most of his life, after finding a photo of Robert F. Kennedy in an encyclopedia

How adorable. And what a great reason to be interested in politics. I’m sure mum and daddy were SO surprised!

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Sonneborn has been interested in politics and history for MOST of his life, after finding a photo of Robert F. Kennedy in an encyclopedia

Most of his life.... Big Grin

How adorable. And what a great reason to be interested in politics. I’m sure mum and daddy were SO surprised!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38649 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Vermont seems stranger every day. First you gave us Bernie Sanders, then more restrictive gun laws, now a prebescent male running for Governor. I cant wait to see who his pick will be for Lt. Governor.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Vermont seems stranger every day. First you gave us Bernie Sanders, then more restrictive gun laws, now a prebescent male running for Governor. I cant wait to see who his pick will be for Lt. Governor.

It’ll probably be Bobbie from 4th period...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

First he needs to get his name in the phone book.

Nah, all he needs is a Thermos.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Another useful idiot shilling for statism. The left loves to hide behind children as they march toward thier goals. Fucking cowards.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
So does this kid drop out of school while he's running the state? Or they pay for a tutor and he takes classes instead of conducting state business.

Hope he gets elected and the state has to deal with the fallout.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Something tells me if this 13 year old was pro Second Amendment and not pushing gun bans we would have never heard about him.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post