SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trauma Kit Help For Family Use!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trauma Kit Help For Family Use! Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Ok I am thinking about getting one.

I have had Advanced First Aid training that was 35 years ago. Kept up with the training for awhile as a Cub Scout Leader.

I still have the class book and it is carried in the family go somewhere vehicle.

I am looking for a trauma kit just to throw into the vehicle we use as a family when we travel or go fishing or shooting in the mountains. Kit would be for family use.

If you could look at this one and comment.

https://lapolicegear.com/nar-u...rth+American+Rescue+

Or if you could recommend something else to get. I do not need a fancy bag to strap to belt or leg. Could easily build one with supplies and I have an old range bag with pockets I could use.

Any Help appreciated.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not an expert but I assemble my own tailored for the types so activities we do. The hardest part is finding a bag to keep things organized and easily accessible, especially for stopping blood flow.

But then I fill contents with enough to address multiple wounds for multiple people. For example, I’ll keep 2-3 Israeli bandages, multiple celox pads, one splint, etc per person

I go with the concept of having and not needing.

I guess, while North American is a good brand, I would suggest creating your own kit to fit your needs.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend building your own.

Find an inexpensive bag. These fancy bags are often half the total price of these kits. Scrounge around the house and see if you’ve already got a less tacticool bag that will work, then order a few rolls of vaccuseales gauze, a few pressure dressings of your choice, a CAT or two, a pair of trauma shears, and a couple of chest seals. Enough of all to have some to practice. Maybe add a SAM splint. And a CPR shield. Done for less than $100 probably.

And find a training organization and take a class too.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
DarkAngel.

Tacticiool as hell.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would build one myself. Having put a few together I like them much better than pre-made ones. You can what you want and skip what you don't need.

That kit has good stuff for bad injuries but I find I use simple supplies much more often.

Band-aid of different sizes. 3x3 and 4x4 pads. Tape. Don't forget the simple stuff. Add a pair of trauma shears too. I also add Advil and other drugs I might need/want. I also have a CPR mask in my car.

My car kit is an old metal first aid kit that has one of those rubber seals. Nothing in it is from the original kit.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Have you taken one of the current trauma or stop the bleed courses?

The last one I took went into pretty good detail about what to stock in a personal or a car kit.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about trauma kits, but I'd like to say that for a few bucks, this is an amazing product. I've used it, unfortunately, but man it works great! Splinters happen and sometimes they're a real bear to get out.

LINK. This is available at Amazon and many local retailers.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What activities is your family into?

The reason I ask is that your proposed kit looks identical to the "blowout kit" I take to the range with me. It's great for a gunshot wound, stabbing, and other severe traumas but either not worth a damn or severe overkill for the more likely blisters, scrapes, insect bites, burns, and cuts. Sure the $42 QuikClot combat gauze will stop the bleeding on a minor injury but the same thing can be accomplished for under a $1.

Additionally, do your family activities really require a reduced IR signature tacticool pouch?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Looks very expensive for what you get.

Put together a kit here. Buy as much as you want, ($5 shipping or free if you buy 5 or more items).

https://www.ebay.com/str/rescu...rksid=p2047675.l2563

As to the $45-$100 quick clot combat gauze products, which are excellent, but expensive as hell, I bought several of the big $100 Combat gauze XL ones on eBay for $10 each (fell off the back of the truck?)

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
If there is heavy bleeding involved, scalp/head wounds for instance, you can never have too many 4x4s.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
What activities is your family into?

Additionally, do your family activities really require a reduced IR signature tacticool pouch?

We go a little off the beaten path to go fishing, and shooting. Maybe some hunting again. Each of our vehicles carry a very good first aid kit and med book.

I am getting old and probably slow at hiking out if needed.

Just looking at building a kit in case of a ND wound, slip and impaling accident or say a major puncture from a vehicle accident.

I just posted the kit in original post as perhaps a starter of the inners that may be needed.

I have a medium size range bag that is empty that I could easily build a kit with. It has many side pockets. Need ideas of what to but in it.

Maybe someone could post a list of what I need to put in one??

Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Using Bubbatime's link:
  • Wilderness First Aid Kit (WFAK)
  • XwAAOSw7FRWVkKy" target="_blank">Gen 7 Combat Application Tourniquet
  • 4" Israeli Battle Dressing
  • (If trained) Hyfin twin chest seal
  • (If trained) 28 Fr nasopharyngeal airway
  • 4" x 4" burn dressing
  • With whatever space remains in WFAK bag, add as many 4"x4" pads as possible

Base Cost - $64.30
    Options - $19.80

You can take care of minor incidents (cuts, scrapes, blisters, sprains, burns, etc.) to major traumas (puncture wounds, gun shots, etc). You could spend another $6.95 for a CPR mask, but I suggest saving space since you said it was a family kit so there should be minimal worries on direct contact mouth seal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    I have this one in my truck. I did buy it with a discount coupon, as it is expensive. I also added a few things to it. Back when I was teaching climbing at the Mountaineers club, this type of kit was always brought on group outings. We had to pass the MOFA course to lead groups. YOu can likely look at all of the items included and build your own for half the price. Or buy one with a discount coupon.

https://www.rei.com/product/11...ntaineer-medical-kit

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post