SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pulsing Water?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulsing Water? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I'm asking this here because the diversity of life and professional experiences seen suggests someone will have the answer.

My new (to me) home has the master bathroom in the rear, furthest from the front door and from the water heater. Recently, the toilet and shower (which are across from each other, equidistant from the water heater) have been "pulsing" when the water is turned on. The toilet sounds like it's surging when the tank is refilling, and the shower actually pulses.

While the pulsing shower isn't altogether unpleasant, it's odd. Especially odd, since these are the only two water fixtures exhibiting this behavior. That same bathroom has a soaking tub and two sinks with faucets, and they behave normally. No pulsing is evident in my kitchen, or the other bathroom, which is next to the washer/dryer and water heater closet.

My online research has resulted in me finding out about Pressure Relief Valves and Pressure Regulators. I don't know a thing about either, but every article I've read seems to point to the entire home system being affected. In my case, it's just two -- the two furthest from the center of the house.

Does this make sense? Can anyone point me to some remediation? I've been in the house for three months, and only now is this behavior showing. More than anything, it's slightly irritating, but I'm worried there may be something that can cause damage to pipes, faucets, or otherwise.

Any ideas?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a plumber here, but is there any debris in the lines? Sediment can cause that behavior.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Not a plumber either but ive seen that caused by air in the lines. But that usually resolves itself quickly.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Is it a private well or city water source?

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Not a plumber either but ive seen that caused by air in the lines. But that usually resolves itself quickly.

I'll echo this. Air in a line will give it a pulsing sensation, but I don't think you should have suddenly experienced the problem. Normally I see it after I change the filter under the house. Try running the tub and faucet for a few minutes to see if it clears up.

Lots of different stuff in the ground water depending where you live in VA and whether you are on city water or have a well. If it's the latter, then you may well have some kind of sediment that is causing the issue, especially if there isn't enough pressure to push it to the back of the house.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:

My first thoughts too. If it's a well you may have issues with the pump or more likely the pressure tank.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out expansion tanks. Easily installed with shark bite fittings by anyone.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Have them check your pressure regulator. We bought a new house as well. We were told it was air in the lines. Only time we noticed it was when we flushed the upstairs toilet, but it sounded like someone was beating on the walls with a hammer.

New regulator, problem solved.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:

It's city (county, actually) water.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Smith. City or public water supply, check the pressure regulator.

Private well, check to see the pressure tank is properly charged.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A faulty "pressure balancing spool" within an anti-scald shower valve can pulse. One takes it out and greases it with Plumber's Heat-Pruf Grease.

The spool will also malfunction if there is a great pressure differential between incoming hot and cold pressures - less likely in a residence but not uncommon in, say, a 20 story apartment building with multiple risers and PRVs.

The toilet is more of a mystery, unless it only appears to pulse when filling while the shower valve is pulsing.

Is the pulse identical between the fixtures?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post