SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    OK , Ice Cream, tell me you are at least protecting your Ice Cream
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK , Ice Cream, tell me you are at least protecting your Ice Cream Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I sure miss the Thrifty Ice cream that I used to enjoy in L.A.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by Wetrudgeon:
We suppose this is good advice for some, but at our house life expectancy for a half gallon carton of ice cream is short. Generally a carton of ice cream seldom lasts long enough to frost.

As an aside, we consider Blue Bell brand ice cream to quite simply be the best ice cream money can buy. Those of you who have sampled the wares from "the little creamery in Brenham" know wherefore we speak.

We trudge on.

I see that you have never had Cedar Crest Ice Cream.
Or maybe you've never had Blue Bell!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
It’s a protective ice coating.

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SGIHbvcTRc

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had a bowl of peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream after lunch today. I normally don't have dessert. I blame this thread for making me fall off the wagon.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I tried Aldi's Super Premium Vanilla. Absolute best ever. Only 5 ingredients, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, egg. So dense it takes a garden trowel to scoop and the flavor is perfect. 48oz carton under $4. Only comes in chocolate and vanilla. Aldi has several brands so be sure to get the super premium label.
I'm not crazy about vanilla, but chocolate is good, second only to maple walnut.

After reading doublesharp's post, I was at Aldi yesterday afternoon picking up a few other things so I thought I would grab a container of their Super Premium Chocolate to try it.

One of my gripes about Aldi is that the warehouse ships different variations of similar items in the same carton and the carton gets picked over and all the "good stuff" gets taken. In this instance it was vanilla and chocolate, mixed in the same carton. You guessed it, the carton that was reachable on the freezer shelf was two thirds empty. All the chocolate was gone. Just vanilla. I could see new cartons behind it, but could not reach them.

Service people are really hard to find in Aldi stores (yet another gripe) but I persevered and was able to hunt down an Aldi gal. As usual, when one can be found, they are really helpful. She went into the secret room, went to the back of the freezer, and retrieved a pack of the chocolate for me.

My wife and I sampled it last night. Yep, it was good. Very good. Thanks for the tip, doublesharp!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call Aldis, Bizarroland. The packaging on many items is designed to look and sound like name brands but aren't.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
use the Ice cream scoop handle to tamp the wrap on to the top of the Ice Cream, it will displace the air that causes the frost.

A TV remote works well for this (assuming it’s already wrapped in plastic).

Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I call Aldis, Bizarroland. The packaging on many items is designed to look and sound like name brands but aren't.
Yeah, sometimes they have the clones, and some items they have the real brand.

Example: The Aldi brand of Half & Half carton looks very much like Land O' Lakes. On the other hand, they have real Nathan's hot dogs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:
We suppose this is good advice for some, but at our house life expectancy for a half gallon carton of ice cream is short. Generally a carton of ice cream seldom lasts long enough to frost.

As an aside, we consider Blue Bell brand ice cream to quite simply be the best ice cream money can buy. Those of you who have sampled the wares from "the little creamery in Brenham" know wherefore we speak.

We trudge on.

flashguy

Actually, I have a container in my freezer right now. My wife bought it when she went shopping. I asked why she bought it and she told me it was for the grandkids because they don't know good ice cream from bad and because it's cheaper than Cedar Crest so she bought it. Seriously, not trying to be a prick but there is no comparison between the two. Cedar Crest is the best ice cream we have ever had and that includes all that so called handmade stuff you see in ice cream shops. Of course YMMV I guess.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
V-tail, glad you liked it and I do agree that shopping Aldi is different. I like it as I don't need to wander a 2 acre store to buy a bag of groceries. My local Aldi is about a 10k sq ft store with 4 center doublesided aisles. Ez to shop unless you run into a V-Tail situation in the upright, gravity fed refrigeration cases. When I feel like living dangerously I'll mix the chocolate and vanilla together. Cool

I wish they were a public company and I could buy their stock. Guaranteed that no other grocer can get close to Aldi's sales per man hour metric.

Louisville area Aldi stores get their milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, etc from Dean's Food but is private labeled.

My little dogs like bacon flavored begging strips as a treat. Aldi sells a 2 lb bag made in USA with no dyes or weird ingredients. My dogs love them and they cost about 1/2 what name brand costs. Also their Little Cesar knock off small cans of dog food are well received.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I blame this thread for making me fall off the wagon.

per Arfmel

*Under no circumstances can I be blamed for flagrantly inappropriate thread drift, leading to increased waist size .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
A half gallon of ice cream never made it to 3 days in my house and I live alone.
I haven't had any ice cream since my heart bypass surgery last September. And yes...I crave it lots!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I don’t really crave ice cream. I rarely eat it from the carton. At home I might have an ice cream sandwich if I stumble across it but other than that it’s just an occasional DQ one on a summer day.

My wife likes it out of the carton though. I don’t think it gets freezer burn.

little store down the street from me sells Hersheys,

pints, 1/2 gal (or whatever they are now) and single serve,
as well as novelties,

Black Walnut is a favorite when in season,

and the Moose Tracks cones are fantastic

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am not a huge ice cream fan, but I'm not against a good cone when the weather is warm. I never buy it for the house because I will never finish it before it gets freezer burn. Although soft serve has its place, I much prefer good old fashioned ice cream. There was a place back where I grew up called Peaceful Meadows. They were a small dairy farm that just sold ice cream and a few other dairy products (fresh milk, cream, etc). Open year round (unlike the Dairy Queen that was only open in the summer) and you could pet the cows and smell the manuere. They had a good variety but not many toppings, mostly fruit. They considered dipping a cone in jimmies unsanitary. You had to go to Dairy Queen for jimmies. (As an aside, the only real jimmy is a chocolate jimmy. Rainbow jimmies are for wierdos and sailors).

But it was GOOD!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:

We trudge on.

flashguy

Actually, I have a container in my freezer right now. My wife bought it when she went shopping. I asked why she bought it and she told me it was for the grandkids because they don't know good ice cream from bad and because it's cheaper than Cedar Crest so she bought it. Seriously, not trying to be a prick but there is no comparison between the two. Cedar Crest is the best ice cream we have ever had and that includes all that so called handmade stuff you see in ice cream shops. Of course YMMV I guess.
It appears to be a local brand, made and sold in Wisconsin. I doubt I'll ever get to try it. I have never seen it in any stores here.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post