SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back at work after 3 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back at work after 3 years Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I like to hear these stories.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Thanks for the kind words. I fly for the big purple box hauler out of Memphis Smile

I was hoping UAL.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Good for you!

I need to get organized and get my medical back. FAA declined to renew it when I reported (successful) radiation treatment for prostate cancer.

Since then, I have had diverticulosis, supporting infrastructure inserted for fractured femur / hip, and when almost recovered from that, along came Guillain Barré. Oh yeah, cataract surgery too, for both eyes.

I have been flying legally as CFI, but can not act as PIC until I get everything coordinated between an AME and the physicians who dealt with my problems.
Have you looked into the new Basic Med program? I don't know if it would apply in your situation, but maybe.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
That is GREAT news. Congratulations and HAPPY flying. John

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Have you looked into the new Basic Med program? I don't know if it would apply in your situation, but maybe.
No sir, I have not. I'll need to do some homework on the new stuff.

Under the old rules I could fly as CFI / PIC with a third class. The logic was that I was not getting paid to fly, I was getting paid to teach, so a first or second class medical was not required, and I really only needed to have the third if the trainee could not act as PIC.

I did need a second class for the contract flying I did, flying a company's airplane for them, doing some re-positioning for customers of the maintenance shop, etc. I don't know whether Basic Med will allow that stuff, since it involves flying for pay. I'll have to dig into it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your return to the cockpit.
Did you have a pacemaker installed after the ablation?
That procedure may be in my future.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
NEVER GIVE UP!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
No sir, I have not. I'll need to do some homework on the new stuff.

Under the old rules I could fly as CFI / PIC with a third class. The logic was that I was not getting paid to fly, I was getting paid to teach, so a first or second class medical was not required, and I really only needed to have the third if the trainee could not act as PIC.

I did need a second class for the contract flying I did, flying a company's airplane for them, doing some re-positioning for customers of the maintenance shop, etc. I don't know whether Basic Med will allow that stuff, since it involves flying for pay. I'll have to dig into it.
Basic Med will not help you if you need a second class. But it would let you act as PIC for most operations requiring a third class.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of hard paid off. Congratulations!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great to hear , good for you ,
( if you are in the vicinity , I have a 100 pound bird bath that I need to relocate, shouldn't take more than 25 minutes Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
UP IN THE AIR, JUNIOR BIRDMAN!!!!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Kuddos to you for the demonstration of persistence and courage.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Congrats on your return to the cockpit.
Did you have a pacemaker installed after the ablation?
That procedure may be in my future.

No pacemaker, as my situation was a racing heartbeat, up to 190 out of the blue. It would feel like it was going to jump out of my chest. The ablation surgery cured that.

That said, I have an unusually low heart rate most of the time. For my last 24 hour holter monitor I had bradycardia (low heart rate) for about 65% of the time, with the lowest being 39 for 63 seconds or so. I was at 46 at the Cardiologist while laying down.

We used to think it was because I used to run a lot and my heart was just very efficient. I haven't been able to run for about 10 years now due to the hip issue. I got Lyme disease back in 1986 and have had joint issues ever since. One of the potential effects of Lyme arthritis and its inflammation is bradycardia. I'm fairly certain a lot of my health issues stem from the fact that I contracted Lyme disease in 1986 but it wasn't diagnosed or treated until 1992.

The nurse practitioner at the Cardiologist did mention that I may have a pacemaker in my future based on my low heart rate. Not looking forward to that. My dad has one, but he got it when he was 85 or so, I'm "only" 56. We will see.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post