SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Back at work after 3 years
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back at work after 3 years Login/Join 
posted
Finally back at work, after injuring myself in Feb 2014. Led to back surgery in Oct that year, and having AV Node Recurrent Tachycardia led to heart ablation surgery in Apr of 15. For good measure followed that up with a hip replacement in Nov of 15, something that had been coming for some time.

I was finally fit enough to apply for my medical in July of 16 and spent months on more doctor visits, gathering medical records and test results to submit. Took several months for the FAA to approve my medical, but they finally came through in Jan of 2017.

I started training in Feb, had a tougher time than I'd hoped (had to knock off a lot of rust after all that time) but was eventually able to get through the program. I completed IOE (initial operating experience with a Line Check Airman, i.e. instructor) last week and had my first trip last Saturday.

Like, Otto, I get to fly with my favorite Captain again, as I checked out in the left seat of the B757. I'd been a Captain in the B727 before they were retired, but only for about 6 months, and then I was excessed to the right seat of the B767. So its been over 4 years since I was a Captain.

It feels really good to get out of the school house and back on the line, and I just had my FAA medical renewed and my Cardiologist visit yesterday went well too, so I'm good for at least another 6 months, hopefully much longer. I don't take too much for granted any more health wise, as I never expected what seemed to be a fairly benign injury to morph into a 3 year odyssey of doctors visits, surgeries and delays, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to Para and the mods for having this board and for all the members for sharing their experience, knowledge and wisdom. Lord knows I've spent a ton of time on here while recovering and really appreciate all the banter and information.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigfan Roy,

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Great news!

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
"Fly safely" Cool

Glad you're back after fighting a good fight.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing, what you had to go through! Congratulations on succeeding!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Now that is perseverance. Congrats on being back in the cockpit!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
That is great to hear! Congratulations on your recovery. Smile

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wow what a battle. Congratulations.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's just WOW. That the FAA didn't screw you is amazing. Have fun and enjoy!

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Any hints who you fly for so we can look for you up front?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Dam fine work Roy. You have my respect for your hard work and commitment to bounce back. I hope you have a long and successful career.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Great News!!

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to hear it all worked out for you after jumping through all the darn hoops!

I'll bet the smile is a mile wide! Big Grin

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're back in the saddle again.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that is Great news! Best wishes for many happy landings!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS!
Btw, which airlines?

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear its all coming together for you. It nice to hear people getting back to doing the things they enjoy.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

I need to get organized and get my medical back. FAA declined to renew it when I reported (successful) radiation treatment for prostate cancer.

Since then, I have had diverticulosis, supporting infrastructure inserted for fractured femur / hip, and when almost recovered from that, along came Guillain Barré. Oh yeah, cataract surgery too, for both eyes.

I have been flying legally as CFI, but can not act as PIC until I get everything coordinated between an AME and the physicians who dealt with my problems.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. I fly for the big purple box hauler out of Memphis Smile

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post