SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting twist on the DIY AR-15 Lower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting twist on the DIY AR-15 Lower Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Basically, cut out & screw together pieces of aluminum...it looks like the really complicated part would be where the buffer tube screws in.

quote:

Bolt-together AR-15 lower receiver: no 3D printer necessary

This kick-ass free-to-use pattern (.pdf) for making your own screw-together AR-15 lower receiver from sheets of aluminum of varying thickness has been making the rounds again what with the recent passage of anti 3D-printed gun laws. The original website is sadly gone.

All you need to do is cut them out and screw them all together, then drill and tap a couple of holes. Guess which one can be shot more?

Might have some problems with some aftermarket mags, though. Might want to consider trimming that magwell a bit should you try this yourself.

http://www.guns.com/2013/12/06...d-printer-necessary/

Pattern - PDF File:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...MNsw3RekhMb8oHKkeO8g

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Another fine example of why banning guns just wont work. That genie left the bottle a thousand years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
What qualifies as 80%? It's be very interesting if someone could make and sell these in pieces, at least the difficult parts, maybe drilled but not tapped, or maybe done of the holes marked but not drilled, etc.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The rear of the receiver above the grip looks like it would be a thumb killer.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
can you braze aluminum together like you can steel?

think of the brazed trigger housings used on M1 Carbines back during WWII,,

if a poly lower holds up, surely a steel or alloy brazed or welded would

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
The rear of the receiver above the grip looks like it would be a thumb killer.

There are plenty of AR grips with beavertails that would protect that area of the hand, though they might require some modification to fit the more squared-off profile.

Most AR grips nowadays have beavertails, in fact.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
What qualifies as 80%? It's be very interesting if someone could make and sell these in pieces, at least the difficult parts, maybe drilled but not tapped, or maybe done of the holes marked but not drilled, etc.
It's not an 80%, you put it all together yourself.

You don't need a license or permission to make a firearm for personal use. 80% lowers are machined right up until the point they are 'firearms', then you have to do the rest. As I see this, you are just following plans for a firearm design. If you have the tools, you could make a complete aluminum lower and anodize it just like a regular lower, but that's a lot of investment for a couple of lowers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
can you braze aluminum together like you can steel?

You could TIG weld it or use the MIG process if you have the right set-up.

Could be an interesting project.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Another fine example of why banning guns just wont work. That genie left the bottle a thousand years ago.

But the goal is to ban guns, mags, gun parts, ammo, ammo components, powder, lead, etc. Heck I still have thousands of primers from back in the day when banning primers was first spoke of.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Well the AR is kind of a Lego gun.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

But the goal is to ban guns, mags, gun parts, ammo, ammo components, powder, lead, etc. Heck I still have thousands of primers from back in the day when banning primers was first spoke of.

Freedom is a hell of a drug.
Some get addicted to it from the first smallest hit, and pity the fool that tries to take it from a freedom junky.

He or she will use anything at their disposal in ways some cannot fathom to keep it and get more.

Anything...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy an 80% lower and finish it from there if you want to remain anonymous. It would look 10 times better and be equally untraceable and unsellable.

Posts: 3916 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Why not just buy an 80% lower and finish it from there if you want to remain anonymous. It would look 10 times better and be equally untraceable and unsellable.

Or say "anonymous? What is this word?"...

If it ever gets so bad that some entity is actively taking weapons from the public, how it is manufactured will not matter. It will be revolution time if the "entity" tries to become the only ones with weapons. Tracing it or having it sold will be the least of a corrupt governments worries.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they can. It's good to have options when it comes to building guns untraceable to The Man.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
All they'll do is ban trigger kits and/or small springs.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
It's not an 80%, you put it all together yourself.

You don't need a license or permission to make a firearm for personal use. 80% lowers are machined right up until the point they are 'firearms', then you have to do the rest. As I see this, you are just following plans for a firearm design. If you have the tools, you could make a complete aluminum lower and anodize it just like a regular lower, but that's a lot of investment for a couple of lowers.
Right, but this is just plans. That's great if you have the ability to cut aluminium and machine it in the right places. But I'm wondering if this could legally be sold as a kit. I'm not worried about anonymity, I just think it'd be cool to have a fun I built myself.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Or say "anonymous? What is this word?"...

If it ever gets so bad that some entity is actively taking weapons from the public, how it is manufactured will not matter. It will be revolution time if the "entity" tries to become the only ones with weapons. Tracing it or having it sold will be the least of a corrupt governments worries.

Only the useful idiots like Bloomberg's "moms" think we can eliminate gun ownership. Those in power just want to criminalize it. Then they can knock on your door and drag you out anytime they want.

God forbid that ever comes to pass, it would indeed be useful to have firearms they don't know to look for. Turn all the others over, be a law-abiding citizen as far as anyone knows, until it suits you to not be.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm wondering if this could legally be sold as a kit. I'm not worried about anonymity, I just think it'd be cool to have a fun I built myself.

I think the answer to that is "no". About thirteen (?) years ago someone actually offered a kit like the one you're talking about. It, too, was simply bolted together. The owner even wanted payment in postal money orders, just for the anonymity crowd. Within a month or two of a completed kit from this company being featured on the cover of Shotgun News, the ATF had somehow taken control of the buisness' inventory of unsold kits and was combing through the buisness' records to try to find out who the kits were sold to.

Then again, IIRC, all the holes had been drilled and all of the cuts had been made. Maybe there would be some way of making it work as an 80%.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So school me on this 80% thing. I buy a lower frame that isn't finished out yet, and I do what, drill a few holes out? Now it will function to take a trigger kit, or does the trigger kit come with? And once it's functional, and get pulled over by the ATF while I'm driving over to the Ward's to get a double Big One, is this a felony possession thing? How's that work?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of info out there...this site might answer some of your questions...or at least be a place to start...

https://www.80-lower.com

https://www.80-lower.com/blogs...lly-and-unregistered

THE LAWS TO BUILD YOUR OWN AR 15

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) the only part of the AR-15 that requires a Federal Firearms License (FFL) transfer at the time of purchase is the serialized lower receiver. This would refer to the serialization designated to a finished lower by the manufacturer prior to its sale. The only exception to this law would refer to the sale of 80% lower receivers, which the BATFE does allow to be sold without serialization or an FFL transfer.

An 80% lower receiver is simply a lower receiver which is inoperable due to in-completion on the part of the manufacturer. 80% lowers do not meet the BATFE’s legal definition of a firearm, due to the fire control group cavity remaining unmilled and in its original state. This is why it has received the name, “80% lower.”

As mentioned, the 80% lower receiver does not require an FFL transfer or serialization. Furthermore, any 80% lower receiver can be legally milled, drilled and made operable by the purchaser. As long as the purchaser himself or herself completes the milling for the fire control group, finishes the 80% lower for his or her own personal use, and does not sell the lower receiver after manufacturing.

The BATFE states: "Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also, the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully transferred in the future."

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post