SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread recipes - Post 'em
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread recipes - Post 'em Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I am stuck at home for a while and want to try some new recipes . Tried baking bread for the first weekend before last and it was awesome. I did a basic white bread recipe came out awesome. Mentioned it in OKCGene's learning thread. Please post them here instead. Going to try Rouge's Beer Bread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Reposting here, in case someone misses the other non-directly-bread-related thread.

Soda bread and beer bread don't have to be kneaded either. They're stupidly simple to make. No yeast or rising involved. They just use flour, baking powder, salt, some kind of sugar (usually either brown sugar or honey), and then either soda water or beer. Mix it into a bowl, pour it into a loaf pan, bake, and eat. The baking powder and carbonation in the soda/beer causes the leavening.

Not the greatest sandwich bread, but it works well as a side dish bread with butter on it alongside dinner, or especially to soak up soup/stew/chili/pasta remnants.

Here's my usual recipe:

3 cups flour
4.5 teaspoons baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt
0.25 cup loosely packed brown sugar
12 ounces of beer (I usually use a quality German hefeweizen... You could get fancy with flavored beers too, like a pumpkin ale to make the bread slightly pumpkin-y.)

-Preheat oven to 375.
-Spray 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.
-Add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt into mixing bowl.
-Pour in beer and stir with a mixing spoon or spatula until combined. (Don't go overboard with the stirring.)
-Pour batter into loaf pan.
-Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
-Remove from oven. Let sit for a couple minutes. Then remove from loaf pan and place on cooling rack for 15 minutes before serving.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Pepper-Parmesan Bread

Servings
2 loaves (40 servings)
Ingredients
5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 packages active dry yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups warm water (120 degree F to 130 degree F)
Cornmeal
1 slightly beaten egg white
1 tablespoon water
Instructions
1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the yeast, pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Add the 2 cups warm water. ( put it all in the cuisenart w a dough blase and run it until it becomes a ball of dough) otherwise:Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased (bacon) bowl; turn once. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/2 hours).

3. Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover again and let rest 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal.
Roll out half the dough into a 15x12-inch rectangle.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese on dough in a narrow row, 3 inches from and parallel to a long side of the rectangle.
Starting from the opposite long side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style.

Moisten edges and seal well; taper ends.

Repeat with remaining dough and remaining Parmesan cheese.

Place loaves, seam sides down, on prepared baking sheet (cheese should be at top of loaves).

Optional: Cover and let rise until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes). I skip this for a denser heavier bread

4. Stir together egg white and the 1 tablespoon water.
Brush egg white mixture over loaves.

Using a sharp knife, make 5 or 6 diagonal cuts, about 1/4 inch deep, across top of each loaf.

5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when you tap tops (if necessary, cover loaves loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning).

For a crispier crust, brush loaves again with egg white mixture after 20 minutes of baking. Transfer loaves to a wire rack; cool completely. Makes 2 loaves (40 servings).

This is MUCH easier than it sounds, try it!
You will impress your guests.

Side note. I worked in a very high-end local bakery when I was 13 (mom lied for me to get working papers until I was 17. I started as washing Hobart mixing bowls that weighed as much as me Smile, but after 4 months I was the 2 German-Jewish bakers apprentice. That job gave me a work ethic that carried through my entire life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Three ingredients:
Flour
Water
Salt

Click on the CC box in the video's frame for English subtitles:

Click on the CC box in the video's frame for English subtitles:

YouTube Direct Link: www.YouTube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=jvXqp6L7sgs&feature=emb_title

How much flour, water, and salt you ask ~ It depends on how much you have.

I take a handful of flour and make a mound with a crater in the middle. I pour in a little water and mix. I keep pouring and mixing small amounts of water until the flour has absorbed as much as it needs. Hint, the more you make this bread the better you get at judging how much water to use at the start.

The reason for no measurements is because the amount of moisture in the flour and air (humidity) affects how much water the flour needs. So only give enough water for the dough to be a little sticky.

Then add a couple pinches of salt.

Instead of cooking on the embers, I put a flat-ish rock in the fire. When I'm ready to bake, I flip it over using a couple of sticks, use something to move any embers off the rock, and dribble a little olive oil on it.

The bread can take on a lot of flavor by kneading in a little olive oil, and your favorite herbs:
Rosemary
Garlic
Tyme
Oregano

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
What a great topic, thanks guys I'm taking notes.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a video for baked brie. I have the ingriedents except for the dental floss. This should have a high wow factor

https://youtu.be/Tkzz9dW9Yms

Challah bread, part 1.

https://toriavey.com/how-to/ch...ssing-and-the-dough/

Challah bread, part 2.

https://toriavey.com/how-to/ch...ow-to-braid-challah/

The Challah bread should also have a high wow factor!

Ethiopian Spice Bread

https://oventales.com/ethiopian-spice-bread/

Easter bread, or Pasca bread, Romanian style.

https://youtu.be/GbMMXRLg5ng

Barm Brack, Irish Tea Bread or fruitcake.

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/halloween-barmbrack/

Scottish Oatmeal bread.

http://www.therowdybaker.com/?p=4267

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Rouge, it's in the oven. Will post pics/review when done. Late dinner tonight. Had to go to two stores to find baking powder.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love beer bread. I use the recipe from the 98 Joy of Cooking.

1 cup hole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups beer

400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

I’ve tried a variety of different things, with lagers, ales, porters. Using an apple cider had good results. I used to rely on JW Dundee’s Honey Brown. With some whipped honey butter, I could eat the loaf.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
BTW if you are buying flour and are fortunate enough to find "Bread Flour" try it, it's a bit better than ordinary flour.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Beer bread = Good.

A little dense, but yummy. Try it, super easy. I topped it with butter and mixed a bit in the dough.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
BTW if you are buying flour and are fortunate enough to find "Bread Flour" try it, it's a bit better than ordinary flour.

Bread flour is just a little higher protein/gluten than all-purpose flour, which given an identical recipe, tends to make a denser, chewier result (as cake or pastry flour is significantly lower protein/gluten and gives a lighter, more delicate result).

Generally bread recipes specify which type of flour to use. A recipe that gives you great results with AP flour may give you a dense, heavy bread with bread flour.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Here's my basic Bread formula:

2.5c warm water
1/3c oil
1/3c honey
1T Salt

1T Yeast disolved in 1/4C warm water with 1t sugar

Add the above and mix, then add:
6 to 6.5C Flour
I use 1/3 fresh ground whole wheat and 2/3 white bread flour. I add 3C of flour and mix for at least 3-4 minute then switch to dough hook and add the remaining flour.

let rise for an hour, dump onto floured counter and form into 2 loaves, let rise in pan 1 hour or until well formed.

Bake 350 for 45 minutes ( 22 minutes uncovered and 23 minutes shielded by foil to prevent the top from browning too much.

You can mix it up by adding oats, sunflower seeds, or more whole wheat flour.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Here's what I made about 4 hours ago.

1-1/2 cup of milk warmed to about 90 degrees
1/4 ounce (1 packet) active dry yeast

1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons softened butter

About 3 and 3/4 cups of flour, I used two cups bread flour, and 1-3/4 cup whole wheat flour.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
you can delete the cheese and it comes out fine. butter both sides and grill in butter for a crispy keto toast.

90 second bread
Serves: 1

1 tablespoon coconut flour
1-1/4 tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon sour cream
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, grated

Melt butter in a ceramic or glass bowl (Hers was about 6 inches).
Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together until combined.
Cook in the microwave for 90 seconds.

Heat a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and cook the 90-second bread on each side until crisp.

Nutrition information: 264 calories, 22.8 gms fat, protein 10.8 gms, carbs: 4-3 grams of fiber= 1 net carb

(according to MyFitnessPal app)

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
So this is my favorite one yet.

Peasant Bread:

Ingredients

-4 cups (512 g) unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
-2 teaspoons kosher salt
-2 cups lukewarm water (made by mixing 1 1/2 cups cold water with 1/2 cup boiling water)
-2 teaspoons sugar
-2 teaspoons instant yeast
-2 tablespoons

Link to recipe

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...s1Q&feature=youtu.be

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever make a successful rye bread?
I find them to be the most difficult.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1) My favorite is the Food Networks No Knead Peasant bread: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...bread-recipe-1973444

2) Last weekend I made basic sausage balls: sausage, bisquik, and cheese. The sausage was hot, my wife prefers mild sausage. I tried to tamp down the heat by adding a 1/4-1/3 cup of sugar. I was well pleased with the result & taste. This got me thinking about more sweet than savory recipes of this type, any suggestions? Also thinking about using bacon bits instead of sausage. I’ll start googling but if y’all have experience shout out!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've made this a few times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Rf2LBgmsc&t=305s

Looks good. I need to get a Dutch oven.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Looks good. I need to get a Dutch oven.

For that type of crusty bread especially, cooking it in a preheated Dutch oven really does make a big difference!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post