SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread recipes - Post 'em
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread recipes - Post 'em Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have a bread machine and so far have only made bread using it as it is so easy!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if today's cheap-ass oven racks can support the weight of a dutch oven without eventually sagging? A Lodge cast iron 5-qt dutch oven weighs almost 13 pounds and the 7 qt almost 18 pounds.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Anybody ever make a successful rye bread?
I find them to be the most difficult.
I gave up severel years ago, always came out too dense. Tasted ok though. I might revisit.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Anybody ever make a successful rye bread?
I find them to be the most difficult.
I gave up severel years ago, always came out too dense. Tasted ok though. I might revisit.

Oh same here, smells good, Taste great, looks bad. This actually reminds me of an OB-GYN joke (nevermind)

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Three ingredients:
Flour
Water
Salt
I think that you just made matzoh.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Three ingredients:
Flour
Water
Salt

When you got a desert to cross you don't have time to wait for your bread to rise.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Stumbled across this recipe as I was on the interwebz...

The 3 B's...Bacon, beer and bread.

Sounds like a winner to me:
Bacon beer cheese bread...

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Anyone know if today's cheap-ass oven racks can support the weight of a dutch oven without eventually sagging? A Lodge cast iron 5-qt dutch oven weighs almost 13 pounds and the 7 qt almost 18 pounds.

We have a fairly new stove and the solid racks seem to do ok with my Dutch oven. There is a third rack that has a movable section, I don't
think we have put the Dutch oven on it, but a Thanksgiving the oven is stuffed and all three racks are spaced to hold the max, in casseroles etc.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Three ingredients:
Flour
Water
Salt

When you got a desert to cross you don't have time to wait for your bread to rise.

Oh, desert!
I read 'dessert' and went w/ this bourbon bundt cake w/ bourbon glaze today. I'm about to cross this dessert as soon as it cools. (Sure, it ain't bread, but I make enough bread. I have three sourdough starters in my fridge.) I didn't know if to post it here or in the "What's in your glass tonight".

To stay on topic, here is a spelt and wheat sourdough loaf I made a couple weeks ago.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
dsiets recipe for bread? Can it be made with all purpose or bread flower?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
dsiets recipe for bread? Can it be made with all purpose or bread flower?

Hey Jesse,
To give some background, my newphew had been having some digestive problems so I agreed to help him pursue some low "FODMAP" bread recipes. I'll let you google "FODMAP".

Turns out Spelt and sourdough fermentation are decent for a low FODMAP diet so we each started an all spelt sourdough starter.
Baking w/ it turned out some interesting, tasty, but dense bread. He doesn't mind as he just wants to have a sandwich at work.

I made a separate starter 50/50 spelt/rye because I think rye flour bacteria has more to offer a starter w/ regards to some sour bacteria bite in flavor.
I then kept feeding it spelt flour to make it FODMAP friendly, dwindling down the rye percentage.

But to answer your question, "Can it be made with all purpose or bread flower?"
Certainly. While the starter was FODMAP friendly, you can use it for most any recipe that requires a levain or yeast. I did a 50/50 bread flour/spelt flour and it turned out really nice.
Here is the site that I followed but then broke from for this loaf.
https://www.karlijnskitchen.co...urdough-spelt-bread/

Spelt is an acquired taste but the sourdough aspect is fun. If you haven't made a sourdough starter, I'm not sure I would recommend this one as its spelt focused.
Otherwise, baking "w/o yeast" makes some great bread.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping the Tradition Alive - Salt Rising Bread

The bread guru Peter Reinhart said, "I must admit that I have fallen under the spell of Salt Rising Bread...like an expensive white truffle, the earthy aroma and flavor are intoxicating. The more I eat, the more I want."

This is a very old family recipe (as near as we can guess, well over 140 years) and most people haven't heard of it anymore. It traces its roost to early American settlers, predominately in the Pennsylvanian and Appellation mountains.

There are a few small bakeries that still make it and will ship it.

Here is a video describing the bread and some of the history, chemistry and background:
https://vimeo.com/291418619
There are also some Youtube videos that have done a good job describing how to make it too.

SALT RISING BREAD

STARTER

2 med. white potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
2 T. white corn meal (while I've used commercial corn meal many times, I've come to grinding my own using field corn and a food processor and it seems to succeed more often)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Put in quart jar and fill with 2 1/2 cups boiling distilled water (Public water has chlorine in it to keep bacteria from growing which is contrary to what you are trying to induce). Put jar where it can be kept warm, cover with plastic wrap and poke a hole in it (I use a 9"x9" pan with water on a heating pad and tented with a cloth to keep warm. Temperature needs to be 105-110). The next morning, when it is frothy (if it isn't frothy with at least 3/4" of foam don't bother proceeding, or if the surface is "scummy", but keep 1/2 cup of the strained liquid and try again adding this reserved liquid to 2 cups of water in a new starter mix and it will usually be successful), make a sponge of:

1 cup boiling distilled water
2 tsp. salt
3 c. warm milk
2 c. strained liquid from starter
about 1/2 of a 5# sack of bread flour, warmed

When mixed, this will probably be lumpy so I use a whisk on it to get the lumps out.

Put in a warm place to rise (usually takes about an hour or so - it will bubble a little)
Cover with waxed paper.

Remove from warm place and add 2 tablespoons of Crisco. Mix with hands (nitrile gloves are recommended) and continue adding more flour. When it can be handled without being completely sticky, pour out onto the counter or cutting board (floured) and knead for about 5-10 minutes until it is elastic, continuing to add flour until it doesn't stick to the floured surface (you will use about 5 lbs of flour total for this recipe). Divide into 4 equal parts (I use a sharp knife), then divide each section into half, making 8 small loaves. Work with your hands a little more until they are smooth. Heavily coat pans with Crisco and put each section into pan, roll around to coat the top of the loaf with Crisco, put uncoated side down into pan. Do the same with the other 8th. This recipe will make 4 full loaves.

Cover with waxed paper again, and place in the oven (with light on) to rise again (this may take several hours). After the loaves come up over the pan (or at least have risen) bake at 350-375 degrees until golden brown (about 40 min.) After baking, turn out onto cooling rack.

I made a batch last night and it turned out great. This bread is very dense and has a distinctive odor and I don't particularly like it for sandwiches and such, but toasted with butter it takes on a whole new life!

Posts: 113 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, should have some rogue beer bread in 50 minutes. My 12 yo old daughter is bored out of her skull and has baked 4 different kinds cookies. We don't need any more cookies, so I suggested bread.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ You'll love it. Different/great sweet flavor.

----

Glad it came out good, the only deviation I made from rouge's recipe was the coat the top in butter before baking.

↓↓↓

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd say for our first try, it was a success! It is good. It's almost cake like with the bit of sweetness. My wife and daughter both like it as well. My sons have yet to try it. I'll be having it for breakfast instead of toast or a bagel.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
So far are any of these considered "Ezekiel" bread?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys are phenomenal
me, on the other hand

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
So this is my favorite one yet.

Peasant Bread:

Ingredients

-4 cups (512 g) unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
-2 teaspoons kosher salt
-2 cups lukewarm water (made by mixing 1 1/2 cups cold water with 1/2 cup boiling water)
-2 teaspoons sugar
-2 teaspoons instant yeast
-2 tablespoons

Link to recipe

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...s1Q&feature=youtu.be

Jesse,
Did this yesterday very messy due to it being wet and sticky buy came out great!
I did 1 larger pryex bowl for a single large large loaf. This is relatively easy for beginners-intermediate bakers. Thanks!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post