SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the house building experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the house building experts Login/Join 
posted
I have a sump pump in my basement floor that does what sump pumps are supposed to do. About a foot away from the sump pump pit is a second pit that has no drainage pipes going to it, no connection to the operating pit and it always stays dry with no water in it at all. Basically it’s a sump pump sized pit in the floor that doesn’t have any connection to anything.

My question is, why is that second empty pit there and what is it for? Thanks.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a sewage ejector pit.. Your sanitary line to the street must be above the basement floor so the contractor installed the sewage injector pit. It will be necessary to use it if you ever install a bathroom in the basement.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that explains it. Our house drain to the sewer looks just like your picture. It exits the basement about five feet up the wall. Basement’s unfinished so no bathroom in it yet.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the geology in you area, another possibility is that it is rough-in for a radon mitigation system. Quite common in our area of PA. If tests for radon indicate levels of concern, an air pump is installed to pull the air from the stone subbase under your concrete slab, and possibly from subgrade ducting, then exhausts that air outside the house.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
For now, put a lid on it and use it for your secret stash.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
For now, put a lid on it and use it for your secret stash.

That's a pretty crappy thing to tell him.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The sewage ejectors I've done have all been in much larger pits than a sump pit. Also, the sewage ejector is self contained completely, while some sumps sit in a bin and others sit in an "open hole" in the floor, or one cast in the foundation.

It's possible it was someone planning for a sewage ejector, or potentially a second or backup sump. Who knows.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post