SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rash of newbies on GB
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rash of newbies on GB Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
Has anyone else noticed all the new and completely clueless people on GunBroker? Every auction I’ve listed lately has had people with no feedback bidding and I have trouble with nearly all of them. Non paying buyers, bidding on items they can’t own in their state, no communication, etc. I guess this was to be expected with all the new gun buyers out there, but sheesh....pull your head out of your ass! Just venting..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's been like that this year, yes. Bunch of NR bidders pushing up prices but never paid.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
It’s a catch 22... Over the past year I have “attempted” to buy a few items there but everything I am drawn to seems to exceed what I am willing to pay. As such, I remain “NR”. I get the hesitancy by sellers but all us NRs aren’t bad seeds.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Oh I get it, I’m certainly not referring to everyone. We all started with NR. It’s these clueless people with no common sense that are driving me nuts. It’s not a raffle.

quote:
Originally posted by NMDave:
It’s a catch 22... Over the past year I have “attempted” to buy a few items there but everything I am drawn to seems to exceed what I am willing to pay. As such, I remain “NR”. I get the hesitancy by sellers but all us NRs aren’t bad seeds.

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I seem to attract NR's like a magnet. While some have been problematic, only one was a deadbeat bidder. I've tried to remain patient, though more and more I consider the option of discouraging NR's from bidding on my items and blocking their bids should they ignore my request.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
There was a noob recently with just 9 feedbacks, and all were negative (for nonpaying). Can't believe it took GB 9 negatives to finally NARU him. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wondering if they're having multiple accounts to run the prices up...

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had over 30 sales this year and only had one person ask 20 questions. No other issues at all so I must be lucky. Very few of any of them ever leave feedback though and I never chase them down to give it.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, well I have bought 2 guns from Gunbroker the last being late this summer. I left positive feedback for both sellers, but apparently they both were to busy to take two minutes from their busy day to leave me any. So I'm one of those NR's the sellers hate. If I ever buy anything else the seller will leave feedback first or there won't be any.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There was a noob recently with just 9 feedbacks, and all were negative (for nonpaying). Can't believe it took GB 9 negatives to finally NARU him.

That's most unfortunate. At one time, a single non-payment on GB resulted in a 6 month suspension.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 2 deals on GB go to crap lately and both were newbie buyers....they can’t read states I won’t sell to or win the bid and disappear for 5 days after winning the bid

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same as well, if the glut of NR bidders were mostly shill accounts to drive a price into the range some seller desired.

That question's cleared up now, I've sold several handguns there myself this year - half have been new, have had a couple non-payers myself.

Have seen one guy on there with 6 non-pay feedback this year alone, as a seller he has good marks, as a buyer wondering what it takes to get his account sanctioned.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1933 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I an a newbie on GB, I know the rules in my state.

Still a couple of people would not ship me a Tavor X95. One decided he would not ship after I was the winner and checked with him before bidding.

I finally got one, third time was the charm.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
These people may not be newbies. They may be activists actively trying to disrupt the commerce of firearms.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
These people may not be newbies. They may be activists actively trying to disrupt the commerce of firearms.

I was recently following an item on GB when late in the auction an NR bidder jumped on board. Shortly thereafter, all of the previously active bidders dropped out. While I didn't feel the final price was outrageous, the NR buyer certainly didn't get what we would recognize as a bargain. Out of curiosity, I followed up on the bidder's feedback rating this afternoon. The bidder now has two "F" ratings from two separate sellers for previous non-payments. I'm willing to bet the score will soon be three "F" ratings when the buyer reneges on this most recent purchase. Without doubt, there are some shenanigans at play.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
There was a noob recently with just 9 feedbacks, and all were negative (for nonpaying). Can't believe it took GB 9 negatives to finally NARU him.

That's most unfortunate. At one time, a single non-payment on GB resulted in a 6 month suspension.

I wonder why GB dropped that policy!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I some a rifle to a NR a couple of months back - paid promptly and gave me no issues. Another lucky one I guess.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If GB would require a $50-$100 deposit in order to bid this nonpaying bidder nonsense could be greatly reduced.

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
If GB would require a $50-$100 deposit in order to bid this nonpaying bidder nonsense could be greatly reduced.

That's a very good idea. The deposit is then refunded, after the transaction is satisfactorily completed.

Q

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Still having issues even since this post with “NR’s”. Believe it or not, I found a phone number and extension for someone at GB and finally got them off their asses. Two of my non paying buyer issues were promptly taken care of! I really wish they would implement some kind of policy for this. I *totally* get that everyone starts somewhere and all NR’s are not jerk offs, but these issues are making it not worthwhile to sell there.