SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yankees and Flyers Will Stop Playing Kate Smith After Discovering Racist Songs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yankees and Flyers Will Stop Playing Kate Smith After Discovering Racist Songs Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Oh wtf. All these SJW douche bags should desecrate the tombstones of their great grandparents and burn all their photos because they may not have had the same idiotic views on race and sex.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...phia-flyers.amp.html

April 19, 2019
For the Yankees, Kate Smith’s version of “God Bless America” was a staple of the seventh-inning stretch since 2001.

For the Philadelphia Flyers, the connection was even tighter, with Smith serving as a mascot of sorts for the team’s 1970s Stanley Cup winners, and performing live at games.

Now both teams have announced they will stop playing Smith’s version of “God Bless America” after discovering that she sang songs with racist lyrics in the 1930s. The Flyers will also cover a statue of Smith that has been in front of their arena since 1987.

Smith, who died in 1986, is most closely identified with “God Bless America,” but recorded numerous other songs over her long career. Among them were “Pickaninny Heaven” and “That’s Why Darkies Were Born,” which contain disturbing lyrics that demean black people

The Yankees have been made aware of a recording that had been previously unknown to us and decided to immediately and carefully review this new information,” a team spokesman told The Daily News, which first reported the story. “The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously. And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.”

The Flyers said in a statement: “We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization. As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith’s recording of ‘God Bless America’ from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena.”

The Flyers have a tradition of playing Smith’s version of “God Bless America” as a replacement for the national anthem at particularly big games. The song has been said to bring the team good luck. Smith performed it live before Game 6 of the 1974 Stanley Cup final, the game in which the Flyers won their first Cup.

Like many white singers of her era, Smith sang some songs that at best are dated and insensitive and at worst are downright racist.

In “Pickaninny Heaven,” Smith sings of a place where “great big watermelons roll around and get in your way.” “Pickaninny” is a demeaning term for a black child. In the 1933 film “Hello Everybody,” Smith sings the song to a group of black orphans listening on the radio.

“That’s Why Darkies Were Born” begins: “Someone had to pick the cotton,/ Someone had to pick the corn,/ Someone had to slave and be able to sing,/ That’s why darkies were born.”

The lyrics also include: “Sing, sing, sing when you’re weary and sing when you’re blue/ Sing, sing, that’s what you taught all the white folks to do.”

The song was also recorded by the black singer and civil rights activist Paul Robeson, although “one has to think that Robeson’s take on the lyrics was decidedly ironic,” wrote Steven Carl Tracy in “Hot Music, Ragmentation and the Bluing of American Literature.”

Both songs were recorded more than 80 years ago and are easily found on YouTube. It is not immediately clear how the teams became aware of their existence.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is starting to get out of hand. Mad

What's coming? Tearing down the Washington Monument and defacing dollar bills? Renaming Washington DC?

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

The Flyers said in a statement: “We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization. As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith’s recording of ‘God Bless America’ from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena.”

The Flyers have a tradition of playing Smith’s version of “God Bless America” as a replacement for the national anthem at particularly big games. The song has been said to bring the team good luck. Smith performed it live before Game 6 of the 1974 Stanley Cup final, the game in which the Flyers won their first Cup.

This is going to backfire SPECTACULARLY for the Flyers, you watch.

I give it 2, maybe 3 days max.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Seriously, how many actual fans actually give two shits. Philly is a blue collar town. We’re too busy punching police horses in the mouth to care about this non sense.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, how many actual fans actually give two shits. Philly is a blue collar town. We’re too busy punching police horses in the mouth to care about this non sense.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true. Larry the Cable Guy would be a suitable replacement.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of bullshit. Who's next for these idiots?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's next? Ban "White Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby because he wore black face in movie Holiday Inn?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Shameful Frown

Looks like they put her in a Burka

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone should inform the Yankees that "Yankee" is the ONLY major sport name that is actually based on a racial insult.

Sometime after approximately 1650, When the New England whaling vessels first encountered Chinese vessels in the Pacific Ocean, most Chinese had never seen White people before. So they called the White sailors "Yang Gui Zi". In Chinese, that means "Foreign Ghost (or demon)".

The New Englanders heard this as "Yankee" and whimsically adopted it as their name.
https://www.howtopronounce.com/yang-guizi/

Chinese still call White people "Yang Gui Zi". You can see this in the Richard Gere movie: "Red Corner". As he is running through the streets of BeiJing, the old woman are shouting "Yang Gui Zi" at him. Since I speak a very little Mandarin I notice that sort of stuff.

White people are also called "Gui Lou" (Mandarin) or "Gweilo" (Cantonese), which means "Ghost man".

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
AFAIC, "God Bless America" IS Kate Smith. No one sang it as she did, and no one since has done it, either! One could tell that she meant every word of it when she sang it.

Irving Berlin had written that song some years before she premiered it, and Kate Smith asked him to write a patriotic song for her to do, to raise morale during the war. He remembered the song and actually gave it to her, lock, stock, and barrel. She ultimately gave it to the Boy Scouts of America.

Eighty years ago the culture in the US was very different from today. (I remember attending Minstrel Shows and enjoying the Blackface antics as a child. That does not make me a racist today.) It is not fair, nor accurate, to judge actions from so long ago by the morés of today. People and attitudes change.

I hope those sports teams feel the disgust by seeing reduced attendance at their games. They are being petty and pandering to the few crazies who are concerned by proceedings of so long ago.

Bah! Humbug! A pox on all their houses!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
An historic Episcopal parish where George Washington frequently worshiped has decided to remove a memorial plaque honoring the nation’s first president, saying the decision was out of a desire to provide a “welcoming” worship space for all visitors. The church will also remove a similar memorial plague honoring Robert E. Lee, the commander of Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Read more at the link if you like, but I don't recommend it.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just another reason not to like the NY Yankees

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
An historic Episcopal parish where George Washington frequently worshiped has decided to remove a memorial plaque honoring the nation’s first president, saying the decision was out of a desire to provide a “welcoming” worship space for all visitors. The church will also remove a similar memorial plague honoring Robert E. Lee, the commander of Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. Read more at the link if you like, but I don't recommend it.
Were I a parishioner there, I would be changing churches, and taking my sizable tithe plus with me!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Check out Nancy Wilson "In a Long White Room." Or just about any rapper. They seem not to need any sort of condemnation or nullification. We are rapidly becoming a society where there is no past to vector a moral compass. State-sanctioned genocide, imprisonment for newly-defined crimes against the people or practicing a particular faith, or public attacks for wearing the wrong clothes, could be OK, because, well, it's today.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

"Starting"? Hell this PC and SJW crap has been full tilt crazy for a l-o-n-g time! Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

"Starting"? Hell this PC and SJW crap has been full tilt crazy for a l-o-n-g time! Frown

Yeah, but, it's been going into overdrive since Nov 9th, 2016.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
In the past professional baseball wouldn't allow black players. Must boycott!

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How has Stephen Foster survived this long?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Foster

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Flyers have a tradition of playing Smith’s version of “God Bless America” as a replacement for the national anthem at particularly big games. The song has been said to bring the team good luck.

Yeah, its brought them a lot of luck in the past 40 years. Try zero luck. 1975 is their last cup win so yeah, that song hasn't given them any luck in the last 40 years.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
How has Stephen Foster survived this long?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Foster

We’ve had “political correctness” in “My Old Kentucky Home” some time ago. “Darkies” was replaced by “folks”, but we kept the “gay” in it all. Confused

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There was overt racism in the '30s? Who knew?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post