SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help, GM service bulletin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help, GM service bulletin Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
PIP5568D is the service bulletin number I was given.

My wife's Traverse started running rough and stalled out as we pulled in the driveway. After setting a few minutes it started up and ran fine but still had check engine on.
Service rep says GM engineers are studying the problem. He was instructed to reset codes and return the vehicle. No repairs.

So if any GM techs can enlighten me on this I would appreciate it.

So I am suppose to let my 67 year old wife drive this UNrepaired vehicle. Great.

I worked at GM for almost 43 years and have only bought GM products the whole time. I am pissed at this.
I still have a few contacts at the GM Tech Center and the Ren Cen (GM world headquarters) but it will be a bit of a slow process to get the info I want.

edit to correct service bulletin number.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gjgalligan,

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Recheck that number, it does not look like it is valid.

The statement "There is no resolution for this at present", saw that in the past with GM, not surprising. Various reasons, redesign of a component, have not figured out why the part fails or why it causes the issue or just plain clueless and they have not seen another vehicle do what yours does or does not do.

Was that a dealership rep or a district rep? Go up the chain, squeaky wheel gets greased you know.

I worked in GM dealership fixed ops for 47 years, understand your frustration. That is why I drive FCA products today, gave up on GM seven years ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Service rep says GM engineers are studying the problem. He was instructed to reset codes and return the vehicle. No repairs.

What code(s) did it have? Anyone tell you? My guess, if that is a 3.6L V6, is something to do with the variable valve timing. If a sprocket or solenoid failed (and there are four of them), the engine will barely run, with a severe misfire on three cylinders of the same bank. Since cylinders fire alternately between the banks, such a misfire could also induce a "sympathetic" misfire in the good cylinders. But it could potentially be a lot of other things.

Posts: 27958 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year,AWD or FWD and the eighth letter or number of the VIN please. I still have some contacts in dealerships. Closest dealership to you that I know someone at is Grand Blanc. Would that be any help?

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shovelhead, email sent.

Others:
Correct bulletin number posted on OP.
From dealer service form and it sums all they told me about problem:

CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE ENGINE SPUTTERED AND STALLED ON SATURDAY. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. PULLED
CODES P0024, P0011, PO014, POOOO
CAUSE: SCAN SYSTEM P0011 P0014 P0024 P0021 STORED IN ECM CHECK SYSTEM OK, FOUND BULLETRIN
PIP5568D TO CLEARED CODES AND RETURN TO VEHICLE. ENGINEERING IS WORKING ON A REPAIR AT
THIS TIME OK, FOUND BULLETRIN PIP5568D TO CLEARED CODES AND RETURN TO
SS SEE STORY BELOW 10235

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
P0011 P0014 P0024 P0021 STORED IN ECM
As I suspected, those are all cam timing codes. https://www.obd-codes.com/p00-codes Probably a software issue. I hope they find it.

Posts: 27958 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks egregore
That is more then the dealership told me.

posted Hide Post
You have mail too.

BTW, I smiled a bit when I saw the name of the tech that worked on it. In my opinion you are in good hands if any consolation.

If you talk to him tell him Joe from parts at the Cadillac dealer he worked at says hello.