SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Using a newish Asus router? Deploy it into a mesh network with a firmware update!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a newish Asus router? Deploy it into a mesh network with a firmware update! Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Some companies get it right.

Rather than release a new mesh router system that comes in a two or three pack and makes your current router obsolete, Asus has a firmware update called AiMesh that lets you deploy your existing Asus router into a mesh network. Mix and match it with other Asus routers to seamlessly extend coverage all over your house.

Was looking at expanding my network to support some WiFi cameras on the far exterior corners of the house and glad to see that Asus is committed to supporting their existing product line up with new features via firmware update.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I've tried it. Better than nothing, but slow and not super easy to get working.

I wouldn't buy it or recommend it before you've had a chance to try it out.

Just a gimmick.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Before I opted for that alternative, I'd strongly evaluate running CAT cable to some point in the direction you need expanded WiFi and installing a wired access point (or two). $70 for a WAP and whatever it costs for the cable, plugs, and keystones. Then just plug that sucker into an open port on your existing ASUS router.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Asus routers in my house. They are top notch.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some companies get it right.

That's funny. Big Grin
Mesh has been around for a while.
Glad to see the light bulb went off for you though.

The issue facing many is adequate "coverage" of the signal.
How the solution is implemented depends on the circumstances of the individual installation.

bigdeal has it right and understands the challenge.

PS ... multiple "routers" are not necessary.
I know everyone thinks their WiFi box is a router ... kinda like every gun is a Glock. Smile

FWIW .... ASUS is a decent mid level brand.

Posts: 22903 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"Newish"? Do you mean a cultural New or religious New?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I think what Aeteocles was wowed about is that Asus is not requiring existing customers to purchase another router if they want to deploy a mesh network. Asus is giving this feature to its customers for free in a firmware update. A lot of other companies would have happily saw this as another revenue stream and monetized it.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:

I think what Aeteocles was wowed about is that Asus is not requiring existing customers to purchase another router if they want to deploy a mesh network. Asus is giving this feature to its customers for free in a firmware update.

A lot of other companies would have happily saw this as another revenue stream and monetized it.

JP

So how are you going to deploy a mesh network with only one device? Confused

Posts: 22903 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
I've tried it. Better than nothing, but slow and not super easy to get working.

I wouldn't buy it or recommend it before you've had a chance to try it out.

Just a gimmick.

I had just the opposite experience.
I am a complete moron when it comes to networking stuff, just take a peak at my numerous threads asking for help.
I bought a new ASUS router and was having WiFi issues in a solid concrete underground garage (not that the issue was unexpected). Bought a second cheaper model just to cover the garage and I had it up and running lickity split and the speed is equal to the rest of my house and yard.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
So how are you going to deploy a mesh network with only one device? Confused

You can't. But if you owned an Asus router and wanted to deploy a mesh network, that's just one less router you'd have to buy, which was my point.

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post