SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Barefoot Shoes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barefoot Shoes? Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Looks like it's a work around so they can enter places w/o wearing shoes.

That is the obvious immediate payoff. You can go into places that require shoes without actually wearing "conventional shoes"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think of this: dog poop.
I have two pair of Crocs. Summer and winter models. I should be ashamed. But I'm not!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Barefoot running is becoming a "thing" in the Runners World. The reason behind it is it will eliminate the heel strike when running and allow one to use the Rebound Energy stored in the Achilles Tendons to help reduce the energy required for each step. To put it simply it forces the runner to adopt a more efficient means of running by using the balls of their feet. Another upside of running this way is that it reduces the impact loading on the knees.

The downside is that it can take many years to build up the Achilles Tendons so they are strong enough to withstand the additional load. Try and push this along too fast and you can end up with a torn Achilles that can take years to heal completely or in older individuals it could cripple them for life.

As for these "shoes" they are a LOT different that Barefoot Running shoes. With barefoot running it's either all bare or highly wear resistant thin "slippers" with a high traction layer on the soles. I suspect that these "shoes" would wear out within 25 or 30 miles so IMO they are a waste of good money.

If you learn to change you gait and build up your connective tissue, barefoot running really is better for you....less stress on your joints and greater speed with less effort.

It really isn't even learning a new gait, but relearning your natural gait that you were born with. Toddlers are natural forefoot walkers/runners...it is just what come naturally to them. What happens is that parent want to stop them from "running on their toes" and force them into a heel striking running style...which is what sets them up later in life for knee and hip issues.

When correctly running, your foot should meet the ground with the forefoot and immediately push to the rear,so you're not shocking your skeletal structure. It is a lot like the way you'd run backwards...with your feet under your center of gravity

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Back around 1980 I was working at a plant they hired a guy from Guam he was about 24 and had never owned any shoes until he came to the mainland at 23 years old. Ron would not wear shoes unless they were required. He had to get some steel toe work boots for around the plant. He would not put them on until he came in from the parking lot. It could be snowing out and Ron would come in to work barefoot.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Barefoot running or, minimal footwear has been around for a long time (see Zola Budd '84 Olympics)...

And before her, Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the 1960 Olympic marathon in world record time while running barefoot.

Many of the world-class Ethiopian and Kenyan distance runners that have been dominating long distance running the past couple decades grew up running barefoot and didn't get a pair of running shoes until they were good enough to join a team/club sponsored by a Nike, adidas, et al.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear, & absolutely love Vibram 5 finger shoes. Those things in the link are just plain decoration. I even wear WellRox sandals that have a thong between each toe. Again, those things in the link do not offer any protection from gross stuff like dog poo & discarded gum & they do not separate the toes so I don't see any benefit of them unless you wanted some kind of decoration on your limbs.

I get corns between my toes so any time I'm having an issue, I'm wearing Finger shoes or WellRox. They really do help in my case because a conventuals shoe pushes your toes together which hurts. They do make socks with individual toes sewn in too. My favorite brand is Injinji.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Isn't the point of a shoe to protect the soles of the feet, since that's what you walk on? Either that, or you'd better have some mighty thick calluses. BTW, my ISP's anti-virus blocked the website in the OP for some reason.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can think of is being out and needing to hit the restroom. Most are fairly nasty and I want something (shoes) between me and that nasty.

It also occurs to me that skin is the largest organ of the body. Skin can absorb chemicals. Again I want a barrier on the bottom of my feet.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The wife would promptly divorce me for wearing those

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
From their website:

At Barebottoms we are redefining primal footwear. There is a barefoot movement underway that is focused on our right to be barefoot, Earthing, a minimalist approach, and improving biomechanics. Our feet are the foundation for the entire body and they are designed to be barefoot. There are over 100,000 sensory nerves receptors on the soles of your feet and they provide biofeedback to the brain so it can adapt all the systems in your body to adjust to the environment you are in. For them to work, we must bare our soles.

A right to be barefoot?
Foundation for the entire body?
Biofeedback so the brain can adapt all systems?

um okay i guess. .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ain't no way I'd ever trade in my hippo skin cowboy boots for those absurd things.

And yeah, my wife would no doubt divorce me too if I started walking around with those foot spangles on my feet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's the sweater vest of the sock world.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Footwear for Hobbits?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, if you are handy with scissors you can convert your worn out boxers into a new pair of these "shoes" for the wife, as a gift made by your own loving hands.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If those are the official footwear of liberals, you could stop them with a box of Legos.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m a barefoot athlete. Started as a high school sprinter, moved onto college. Have done probably 20 or so tri’s barefoot, and other road races with vibrams. Most I’ll run barefoot on asphalt is 13 miles.

I wear a suit every day, but as soon as I’m in my car. Shoes come off.

We’re not meant for running with shoes. We’ve evolved many millions of years without sneakers.

When I went exclusively barefoot, my back, knee, and hip issues disappeared.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
If those are the official footwear of liberals, you could stop them with a box of Legos.

Try and tell me that when I pass your ass carrying a full load. My feet are strong as fuck due to barefoot running and that translates through my whole body. (FEET HAVE MUSCLES)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm sorry I don't understand... What exactly is the point of these?

Add me to this club. I don't get it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Try and tell me that when I pass your ass carrying a full load. My feet are strong as fuck due to barefoot running and that translates through my whole body. (FEET HAVE MUSCLES)

It's a dang joke about stepping on Legos in the middle of the night. Perhaps an experience you've mercifully avoided.

BTW: I have no doubt you could pass me and I seriously don't give a crap.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Then just go barefoot.

I like minimalist shoes - thin soles and minimal or no drop - but I don't see the point of these foot decorations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post