SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    911 operator who hung up on emergency calls is sentenced to jail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

911 operator who hung up on emergency calls is sentenced to jail Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I'd almost forgotten about this. At first, I read it as 10 years and thought great. But it was 10 Days Eek

A former 911 operator who hung up the phone "thousands" of times on people attempting to call in emergencies in Harris County, Texas has been sentenced to jail time.

Crenshanda Williams, 44, was found guilty of interference with emergency telephone calls Wednesday after "systematically" hanging up the phone on residents of Harris County, KTRK reported.

She was sentenced to 10 days in jail and 18 months probation.

Williams reportedly had an unusual number of "short calls," which were no longer than 20 seconds. Prosecutors, according to the Houston Chronicle, determined she hung up on "thousands" of calls.

In one instance, emergency caller Jim Moten told KTRK he called 911 in 2016 after he spotted two vehicles speeding on a highway where people had been killed from speeding weeks earlier and thought his call had dropped after a few seconds.

Court documents, according to the news station, stated that Williams had taken Moten's call and, before he could finish explaining his emergency, she reportedly said: "Ain't nobody got time for this. For real."

The dispatcher also hung up on a caller who tried to report a violent robbery, according to the Chronicle.

Williams reportedly spent a year and a half at the Houston Emergency Center taking 911 calls. She was caught in August 2016 and fired.

"The citizens of Harris County rely on 911 operators to dispatch help in their time of need," Assistant District Attorney Lauren Reeder said in a statement. "When a public servant betrays the community's trust and breaks the law, we have a responsibility to hold them criminally accountable."

Williams' attorney, Franklin Bynum, argued that his client "was going through a hard time in her life" when she hung up on the emergency calls, and said "punishing her doesn't do anything to fix the problems that still exist at the emergency center."

It's unclear what problems at the center Bynum was referring to.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ntenced-to-jail.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30637 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Looks about right.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Looks about right.

Yup!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
EEOC on speed dial.

Posts: 5299 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
"punishing her doesn't do anything to fix the problems that still exist at the emergency center."

It fixed at least one big problem.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
A former 911 operator who hung up the phone "thousands" of times on people attempting to call in emergencies in Harris County, Texas has been sentenced to jail time.

Williams reportedly spent a year and a half at the Houston Emergency Center taking 911 calls.
Sounds like one or two levels of supervision should've been fired too. It's bullshit that it took the Mensa members 18 months considering the volume of hangups.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23198 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Crenshanda. O Kay.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ain't nobody got time for that!

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
really

10 days?

how many people did she put in jeopardy?

it should be a month for every hang up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Yes, she does have a lot of hang-ups.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked as a 911 operator for a few months beofre moving on. I gave that job my all and took it extremely seriously so when I knew it wasn't for me, I quit. I decided if it wasn't something I would be committed to, I did not want to jeopardize any citizen or police officer so the best course of action was to resign.

Before my resignation, I met a guy who worked there who was laid back but to an extreme fault. He took the job like it was nothing. He used to eat apples in between calls and even during, the incessent casual chewing used to drive me insane.

His phone manners were appaling, he would listen in on things that didn't concern him beyond the necessary period, and on at least one period he walked away from his phone while it was "hot" (so calls were coming to his empty desk).

Nice guy, but holy shit did that guy scare me.

Everybody else I met were the most professional, wonderful, hardworking people ever.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
via Imgflip Meme Generator

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Dispatchers are worth their weight in gold.
Dispatcher war story:
I was walking into the back door of the station late one night and met our only dispatcher coming out of the building. I asked her where she was going and she said that someone had just called in that there was a bomb in the station and she was leaving! She walked away and left the console unattended! Good thing I decided to come into the station.
And ten days is a farce.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
How about a pic of the Judge who issued this stupid ruling, instead?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
...emergency caller Jim Moten told KTRK he called 911 in 2016 after he spotted two vehicles speeding on a highway where people had been killed from speeding weeks earlier and thought his call had dropped after a few seconds.

Calling 911 for a motorist going over the speed limit...yeah, I'd have hung up on you too. Roll Eyes

But that's why I'm not a 911 dispatcher.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
...emergency caller Jim Moten told KTRK he called 911 in 2016 after he spotted two vehicles speeding on a highway where people had been killed from speeding weeks earlier and thought his call had dropped after a few seconds.
Calling 911 for a motorist going over the speed limit...yeah, I'd have hung up on you too. Roll Eyes
Man, are you kidding me? Do yourself a favor and be quiet. Really, do yourself a favor.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

But that's why I'm not a 911 dispatcher.
I dunno. Several years ago I made a 911 call re speeding. I Had just finished teaching a week-long course in the Jacksonville FL area and was on my way home on Friday afternoon, southbound on I-95. As usual, I was in the rightmost lane, cruise control set at the posted speed limit, 70 mph.

Traffic was absolutely insane. Really fast moving, like many at 90 mph or faster. People coming up behind me in the right lane, flashing their headlights wanting to go faster. A Mustang convertible went whizzing past me on the shoulder at a high rate of velocity.

I figured somebody was going to be killed for sure, I called 911, the dispatcher asked what milepost I was near, and then told me that they did have Highway Patrol enroute due to multiple calls.

Couple miles later there is a traffic jam. Amber lamps crew extracting the injured from the Mustang that had passed on the shoulder, now upside down on the side of the road.

Turned out that this particular Friday afternoon was the start of a "special" weekend in Daytona and the speeding cars were racing to get there and start the festivities. Until then I had never heard of Black College Reunion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30637 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Man, are you kidding me?

No, I'm not kidding. My sister used to be a police dispatcher, and the amount of ridiculous, stupid things people would call 911 for seemed to be unlimited. But she was a professional and would never hang up on a caller. My point was simply that I wouldn't have the patience to deal with a majority of those people. This lady clearly shouldn't be in that job.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I dunno. Several years ago I made a 911 call re speeding.

Sounds like you called about reckless driving and not someone merely speeding.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Moderated Status, Seven Days

It wasn't a suggestion

Posts: 107460 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post