SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George Mendonsa. You don't know the name, but you know the picture.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George Mendonsa. You don't know the name, but you know the picture. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
https://www.usatoday.com/story...are-dies/2904579002/

quote:

The man in the iconic photo of an exuberant Navy sailor kissing a woman in New York City's Times Square at the end of World War II has died.

George Mendonsa, 95, had a seizure and fell in an assisted living facility in Middletown, Rhode Island, his daughter, Sharon Molleur, told the Providence Journal. He lived there with his wife of 70 years, Rita, and died Sunday, two days short of his 96th birthday.

The photo was taken Aug. 14, 1945, which is known as V-J Day, the day Japan officially surrendered to the United States in World War II. Published in Life magazine as "V-J Day in Times Square," it came to represent how joyful Americans and people across the world felt at the end of the war, in which 406,000 Americans died and 671,000 were wounded, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

When photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt snapped the picture in 1945, he did not document any information about the photo's subjects, and their identities were a mystery for years. Even today, people have used everything from 3D face scanning to the position of the sun in the photo to try to determine exactly whom the couple was.

Mendonsa kissed dental assistant Greta Zimmer Friedman, mistakenly thinking she was a nurse in the war because of her uniform. She came to represent the 342,000 women the Census Bureau says served in the war as pilots, nurses and more.

Friedman reached out to Life in the 1960s after seeing the photo in a book of Eisenstaedt's photography to notify the magazine it was her in the picture. The magazine told her it was another woman until 1980 when representatives contacted her and she met with Eisenstaedt, according to an interview with the Library of Congress.

Mendonsa's claims were verified by a 2012 book titled "The Kissing Sailor: The Mystery Behind the Photo That Ended World War II," although some are still skeptical.

Friedman died in 2016 at 92 years old after a struggle with pneumonia. She was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with her husband.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That image and the image of the Marines raising the flag over Iwo Jima are both iconic.

In today's politically correct world a strange man grabbing and kissing a woman like that would be viewed as an assault.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
American icon. RIP shutterbug Wink

Posts: 13810 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
RIP shutterbug Wink

Eh? He didn't take the picture. He was IN the picture! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
#metoo

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friedman died in 2016 at 92 years old after a struggle with pneumonia. She was buried in Arlington National Cemetery with her husband.

That is pretty cool.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
All my life I thought that sailor was kissing a French girl.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
#metoo

Roll Eyes

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
RIP, George. We all appreciate what you did for us!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I used to have a poster of that on my wall. It was just a sheer joyful moment. Truly iconic

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
It's already blowing up on social media again.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
#metoo

Roll Eyes

To be clear, that's not from me. Feminazis a few years back were decrying this action as an assault on the woman.

I agree with the rolleyes. Should have made that clear.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite photos of all times. Imagine the GI's dreading the invasion of Japan. Talk about a feeling of relief!

RIP George. You and that gal gave millions of us quite a bit of joy.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
There’s a giant statue of “The Kiss” outside the Bastogne War Museum in Bastogne, France: https://goo.gl/images/wUsvUN

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
All the result of the spilled blood and bravery of the heroes of the greatest generation!
RIP.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There is a 26-foot sculpture on Sarasota, Florida's waterfront named "Unconditional Surrender" modeled after the famous photograph.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
#metoo

Roll Eyes

To be clear, that's not from me. Feminazis a few years back were decrying this action as an assault on the woman.

I agree with the rolleyes. Should have made that clear.

The woman in the photo is Greta Zimmer Friedman. She and Mendonsa remained friends and stayed in touch later in life. She never maintained that she was assaulted.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Why couldn't we keep politics out of this nice thread?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
My dad was an attorney in RI and did some work for his family about 15 years ago. Dad said he was a really nice guy and a true gentlemen.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
There is a 26-foot sculpture on Sarasota, Florida's waterfront named "Unconditional Surrender" modeled after the famous photograph.

Driven by it many times.

And someone spray painted #metoo on it lastnight
'Kissing sailor' statue spray-painted with '#MeToo'
https://www.wcpo.com/news/nati...y-painted-with-metoo

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25419 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post