SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chris Cornell dead at 52
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chris Cornell dead at 52 Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Very sad and strange.

The Indie music station I listen to out of Philly reported that people around him yesterday and last night said he was very upbeat and sang an amazing set that was better than anything in recent memory.

A last hurrah before he decided to commit suicide, perhaps?

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn. That sucks. What a talented guy.

I feel lucky to have seen him in Soundgarden, solo, and with AudioSlave.

RIP, sir.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read these quotes from him and thought they were interesting. The man just loved to sing/perform.

"Cornell said he offered minimal explanation for his songs because he wanted fans to come up with their own meanings."

""If I write a song and put it out there, it's not mine anymore," he told CNN. "It takes on a life of its own, and when you listen to it, it becomes your song. And over the course of generations, those meanings will change.""

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/...nell-dead/index.html

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Sad news, indeed. RIP Chris.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Damn that's sad. Frown

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5qi8hhiYEQA

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Damn. Frown

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Frown

The only guy I really liked from the Seattle music scene.

R.I.P.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I was saddened by the news. Tremendous talent that I wish I could have heard in person.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess this is my favorite, and this is a great performance of it

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/...nell-dead/index.html

The Grammy-winning rocker had performed Wednesday night at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. He ended his performance with a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
The AP is reporting he hung himself Frown

https://www.yahoo.com/music/ch...es-52-100236488.html

Soundgarden was one of my top 3 favorite bands in the 90's.

RIP Chris

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
The AP is reporting he hung himself Frown

Soundgarden was one of my top 3 favorite bands in the 90's.

RIP Chris

Damn it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...ead-soundgarden.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
What the hell, man? I've got to work through my concert list before we lose anymore good ones.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a shame. He had a tremendous voice, I remember driving and trying to sing along to his tunes. It was ugly but fun.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A friend shared this with me today, it contradicts what I had heard this morning about his music set last night being one of the best he did in years:

This was a music reporter who was there in Detroit.
Chris Cornell's final performance: Something clearly wasn’t right

Posts: 33776 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say I have not listened to him or knew who he was.

I am not really connected to the music scene these days or for quite a while.

Thanks drabfour. I did enjoy that and no doubt he was talented.

A real shame.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
A friend shared this with me today, it contradicts what I had heard this morning about his music set last night being one of the best he did in years:

This was a music reporter who was there in Detroit.
Chris Cornell's final performance: Something clearly wasn’t right

Here's some random comment I heard today.

I was talking with someone that did production/lighting today. He said that he's buddy was doing the show and said he was definitely not right. Source was unknown person helping me with communications issues on an energy management system in an unknown place.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Wife told me this morning. It's really sad. He was an incredible artist. Such a shame and a waste.
I wish I could have seen him perform live.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Kurt, Layne, Scott, and now Chris. Another piece of my teenage years is gone.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I posted this earlier tonight on facebook, thought I'd share it here as well as it seems an apropos place for it:

I don't know why I'm so bummed about Chris Cornell's suicide but it has bugged me all day. Probably because it reminds me of those days when I was young and free with little care other than when and how I was going to get the next meal or afford books, records, and art supplies. A friend in art school staggered into my studio sometime in December of my senior year 1989. Joe said, 'hey man, you have gas in your car?' To which I said yes. He said he wanted me to see this band at the Whisky in Hollywood. I never heard of them. I was broke, but had a full tank, and I always took any offer of a free show. And I needed a break from a frenzied output of paintings for my first solo gallery showing. We (stupidly) drank on the way there, because we couldn't afford to drink at the Whisky. We got to the club a little late, and it was packed. I didn't know any of the songs, other than a cover or two (can't remember if it was Sabbath or Zeppelin). But the energy in the room was palpable. It was my first introduction to grunge. It was Soundgarden. And it was awesome.
That show turned out to be the basis for their "Louder Than Live" video. Which I didn't realize until California was a fading memory.
Saw them again soon after when they opened for Danzig, or vice versa, can't remember. And again a couple years later at Lollapallooza. I honestly couldn't call myself a hardcore fan, in fact after "Superunknown" came out my interest waned. Temple of the Dog is still listenable, but I still resisted giving in to Soundgarden. Until I picked up Cornell's first solo album, "Euphoria Morning." Which I played non-stop for weeks. By then I was living an entirely different life than I was the first time I heard Cornell sing a decade before. On a different coast, with different friends, doing absolutely nothing I intended when I was interrupted by Joe during a furious painting session. I have since made myself listen to the Soundgarden albums to the point where I could finally call myself a fan. I felt pangs of jealousy when my friends and family went to the Temple of the Dog reunion tour. I delved into the Audioslave albums until I could appreciate them for what they are and not for what the members previous bands represented. And now I'll never get to hear Cornell live again. RIP. Say hello 2 heaven.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post