SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have You Ever Unintentionally Won An Auction?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have You Ever Unintentionally Won An Auction? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Thinking along the lines of the The Big Bang Theory episode where Leonard bid on a Time Machine (a la the H.G. Wells novel of the same name) just for yuks, assuming he'd be out-bid... and he wasn't.

So have you ever bid on an item where the current bids were ridiculously low, and your bid was also low, but wasn't quite as ridiculously low, assuming you'd get out-bid...

...and you weren't?

Just curious.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I bid on a P14 Enfield on Gunbroker a few years ago. It had a couple awful pics, and no real details in the description. Tossed out a bid of $275, figuring it should be worth that much in parts if nothing else, and also figuring it wouldn't be anywhere close to the winning bid. Surprisingly, I won.

Turned out to be a very nice condition Eddystone.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Bid about $200 for a Winchester 1897 on Gunbroker. Auction ended at 3AM. No one else bid.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Ducks Unlimited Spring BBQ in Anchorage. I was hosting the corporate table so I had to be there when it opened to pass out the free shit to the others at the table. I walked past the silent auction and there was a k2 cooler (competitor to Yeti) with DU logo that was way underpriced. I wrote my name down at a reasonable bid and was shocked at the end of the evening that I had won.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't "unexpectedly" be a better description than "unintentionally?"

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I got my first Sig at an auction, not really knowing well what I had bid on.

I figured someone would outbid me, so I didn't think about it much... until it sank in that mine was the last bid. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yes.

My daughter was home from college on Superbowl weekend. My wife and I were supposed to have our turn to watch the younger kids at church for caregroups that night, but my daughter was nice and took my place so I could stay and watch the game.

I'd been looking around at Land Cruisers, just was always drawn to the look of the older ones. I had been perusing Ebay's selection, and came upon a beautiful white over grey Lexus version (LX450) that was still stupid low. I threw in a bid that I figured would not get anywhere close to the actual selling price, then went back to watching the game.

As the 4th quarter was closing out, I lost interest entirely in the game. My bid was still the high bid. I was aghast as the final seconds ticked down on the bid, with me praying that someone had a last second auto bid coming in. Nope. "Congratulations, you won!" Oh. Crap.

My wife and I have this agreement that neither of us will buy anything over a certain amount without a mutual understanding. No such negotiation took place, and when they got home I quietly told my daughter that I'd accidentally bought a Lexus. "You what?!?" So now wife comes into the room to see what I'd said that caused my kid to yell. I explained it as factually as possible, told her it was an accident, and that I had gotten it for a price that I could easily sell it for locally, and that I'd simply sell it and be done with it. She was, of course, loving, reasonable, and understanding. Not.

The squawking stopped that night around midnight, and I was glad to finally get to bed. Around 2 am the light on her side came back on, and she started in again on me. No escape. Around 3:30am I finally rolled over to her and said that, given the amount I'd paid in being chewed on all night, I had decided that screw it, I'm keeping the dang thing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s ex-husband bought his own horse using a friend of his to drive up the bids at an auction.
Was scared to death he had to come up with the total $1250. Auctioneer only needed his $125 commission fee.
Lesson learned by him and all of us.

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's why I now have three... er, two SIG P938s (I sold one and used the proceeds to buy a P225-A1).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
There was an outfit on Broker that dealt heavily in police trade in guns that I routinely followed. One fine day a slew of Remmy 1100 Tactical Magnums showed up; they looked like brand new, so laughingly, I bid $400 and promptly forgot about it, thinking "not a chance".

A couple of days later my wife came up and told me I had won the shotgun I was bidding on...all told, less than $400 shipped and transferred at the local shop.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Another time I was looking to buy a guitar (Gibson SG). I was tracking one on one site and then came across one on eBay. I casually placed a bid and immediately forgot about it.

I went ahead and bought the guitar I had been looking at. Then, I received notice that I'd placed the winning bid on eBay.

Now, I have twins. The only difference between the two is the color.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Agreed. It's not like ssomeone sitting at an auto auction, waving at a friend across the room, then hearing "sold, well done sir." and finding you are now the proud owner of a 1967 Shelby GT350.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ghost-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Yes.

My daughter was home from college on Superbowl weekend. My wife and I were supposed to have our turn to watch the younger kids at church for caregroups that night, but my daughter was nice and took my place so I could stay and watch the game.

I'd been looking around at Land Cruisers, just was always drawn to the look of the older ones. I had been perusing Ebay's selection, and came upon a beautiful white over grey Lexus version (LX450) that was still stupid low. I threw in a bid that I figured would not get anywhere close to the actual selling price, then went back to watching the game.

As the 4th quarter was closing out, I lost interest entirely in the game. My bid was still the high bid. I was aghast as the final seconds ticked down on the bid, with me praying that someone had a last second auto bid coming in. Nope. "Congratulations, you won!" Oh. Crap.

My wife and I have this agreement that neither of us will buy anything over a certain amount without a mutual understanding. No such negotiation took place, and when they got home I quietly told my daughter that I'd accidentally bought a Lexus. "You what?!?" So now wife comes into the room to see what I'd said that caused my kid to yell. I explained it as factually as possible, told her it was an accident, and that I had gotten it for a price that I could easily sell it for locally, and that I'd simply sell it and be done with it. She was, of course, loving, reasonable, and understanding. Not.

The squawking stopped that night around midnight, and I was glad to finally get to bed. Around 2 am the light on her side came back on, and she started in again on me. No escape. Around 3:30am I finally rolled over to her and said that, given the amount I'd paid in being chewed on all night, I had decided that screw it, I'm keeping the dang thing.

Big Grin

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Posts: 3235 | Location: USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Nope. More like what happened to slabsides45.

In my case it was a lot less than a Lexus, but probably would've earned me nearly as much grief. (Long story, and I won't bore y'all with it.) Bottom line: A lens that should fetch over $500 was at only about $6, so I bid $100 on it just for grins. (If I'd actually won it for that I would have willingly endured the grief.)

I was saved. As I fully expected: I've already been out-bid Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. I low bid on an H&K P30 on Gunbroker a few years back and won. I even gave the seller the chance to cancel the auction, but he wrote back "how soon can you send the funds?". I guess he needed the money and I soon had a P30 I wasn't really interested in.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

The squawking stopped that night around midnight, and I was glad to finally get to bed. Around 2 am the light on her side came back on, and she started in again on me.

Oh boy, I can relate. Sometimes they just can't wait for the morning to let you have it again! Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I got a great deal I didn’t expect on eBay. I put a bid on some Sig Zulu 7 binoculars which are around $650 pretty much anywhere. I paid $301 and was very happy!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I rarely bid on eBay, any more. Too many eBidiots that get their egos wrapped up in winning the bid at all costs and will actually bid up a used thing to near what you can buy it new. Or even more.

I mostly look for good Buy It Now deals and leave it at that.

I bid on that lens just for S&Gs Smile Even sane bidding on it will get it up to $400-$500, which is way too rich for my blood.

That's why I wrote that, if I'd won it, it would have been entirely unintentionally.

I did low-ball something, once, don't recall what, that had obviously been mis-listed. (Sometimes it pays to widen your search terms and look carefully.) Much to my surprise it remained undiscovered and I won it with my one bid. Never did understand how the seller failed to notice his mistake and correct it, which I'd fully expected him to do.

Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Superbowl last year must have been magic, I bid on a S&W 952-1 priced way too low, the man selling it sounded like he was selling his best friend and I felt sorry for him so I placed a bid figuring I would start a bidding war. The auction closed during the 4th quarter and I owned it.

Turned out to be in excellent condition and it out shoots my Sig Legend Target. I got 5 magazines and target grips that I will never use and other stuff.

Yes I will keep it, have shot over 20,000 rounds and not one problem. Had to ration myself to 50 rounds a day.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Superbowl last year must have been magic, I bid on a S&W 952-1 priced way too low, the man selling it sounded like he was selling his best friend and I felt sorry for him so I placed a bid figuring I would start a bidding war. The auction closed during the 4th quarter and I owned it.

Turned out to be in excellent condition and it out shoots my Sig Legend Target. I got 5 magazines and target grips that I will never use and other stuff.

Yes I will keep it, have shot over 20,000 rounds and not one problem. Had to ration myself to 50 rounds a day.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post