SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SSP Top Focal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SSP Top Focal Login/Join 
posted
Anyone tried glasses with the focal part on the top of the lenses and not the bottom?

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use and like them

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I find the Costco "computer glasses" are superior than turning my prescription upside down. They grind the lenses so that your computer monitor is in focus. Turns out that is the same distance away as your front sight. $100 or so IIRC.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Same for me. The first time I had it done, the Dr. told me he was only using "half the add" for the front sight focus. Later, when I learned to read and understand a prescription, I figured out what he did, so now I order all but my main pair of glasses from Zenni Optical. I have bifocals that are computer focus in the top, and a close up window below for papers and things on my desk. And I have dedicated single vision reading glasses.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Same for me. The first time I had it done, the Dr. told me he was only using "half the add" for the front sight focus. Later, when I learned to read and understand a prescription, I figured out what he did, so now I order all but my main pair of glasses from Zenni Optical. I have bifocals that are computer focus in the top, and a close up window below for papers and things on my desk. And I have dedicated single vision reading glasses.

Excellent idea. I've been having my eye doctor write out special 'monitor' glasses where the focal point is the distance from eyes to monitor at work, but that sounds simpler.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I got some on Amazon. The jury is still out. I found the Rx is I need is not the same as my readers. Also, though I am able to focus on my front sight with them, the target is much more blurry than without them at distance.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I've had very good results with these: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf85.html
They are ballistic-rated shooting glasses with the bifocal area in the middle 50% of the lenses. You can choose the magnification of that area, from +.50 to +2.00 to tailor them to your vision.
I can keep my head angled slightly downward, or level, with no change in vision.
At $10 a pair...they were worth a try and proved to work for my vision and needs.
I use these to shoot Steel Challenge matches, etc. and the targets are blurry while my front sight is razor sharp. When shooting with a red dot, I use conventional ballistic glasses (with no bifocal properties).

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Excellent idea. I've been having my eye doctor write out special 'monitor' glasses where the focal point is the distance from eyes to monitor at work, but that sounds simpler.

Get copies of both your regular prescription and your monitor prescription, read online how to interpret them, and compare the two to see what he did.

If you are going to order online, make sure to get your PD (pupillary distance), which is not always included on a prescription but is a necessary factor in making glasses. Usually the optician would measure this for you, but the doctor knows it as well and can include it on the scrip if you ask. You use the full PD for regular glasses, and subtract 3 for dedicated single vision readers.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post